News Article: Oilers release Burdasov from PTO

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Looked ok but likely needed to show a lot more for what he was probably going to want I contract dollars.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Really don't like how quick they were to cut a guy with skills that everyone else on the team lacks.

A shot like his with size and the fact that he didn't seem to be having too much trouble playing on NA ice despite only doing so for 2 pre season games seemed promising. I'd have had much more time for him even starting on the fourth line with potential to move up than I do 90% of our wingers.

At the same time, how many late 20's players suddenly develop into NHL players?

Hopefully not something that comes back to bite us, but I could see it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You are only going to break in defensive forwards under Tipp. You have to have established offensive talent that's been around the block or young guys that are already solid two-way players. There is no on-the-job training or "development" at the NHl level under Tipp.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really don't like how quick they were to cut a guy with skills that everyone else on the team lacks.

A shot like his with size and the fact that he didn't seem to be having too much trouble playing on NA ice despite only doing so for 2 pre season games seemed promising. I'd have had much more time for him even starting on the fourth line with potential to move up than I do 90% of our wingers.

At the same time, how many late 20's players suddenly develop into NHL players?

Hopefully not something that comes back to bite us, but I could see it.

The blame is on the player.
If you want a legit shot at making an NHL team then dont show up a week late for camp. To make up for that lost week he needed to blow the doors off...unfortunately he didnt come close to doing that.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Yeah, kinda disappointed with this. I think he showed at the very least no worse than the other Euro forwards we brought in.

Visa issues apparently to blame with his lateness in coming to camp, according to Tippett. So not really his fault even.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
If you want a legit shot at making an NHL team then dont show up a week late for camp. To make up for that lost week he needed to blow the doors off...unfortunately he didnt come close to doing that.

Visa issues aside, he showed more in his 2 games than many of our wingers have shown over the course of the last few seasons as well as this preseason.

Even signing him and keeping him around as an extra forward for a few weeks or a month of practicing and earning a shot with the team seems like it would have been worth it. I dunno what his contract demands were in terms of dollars though. On the surface I don't like it though.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I Actually blame the People in organisation. This was way stupid. It must have been about dollars, and they couldnt meet.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, kinda disappointed with this. I think he showed at the very least no worse than the other Euro forwards we brought in.

Visa issues apparently to blame with his lateness in coming to camp, according to Tippett. So not really his fault even.

Yeah. Its unfortunate.

They play him 24hrs off his long flight, he's still jet lagged from reports but feels fine. Then they SIT HIM 3 days later and only give him one more game, and then pull the plug on him despite him being better than half a dozen other forwards that have done very little. Reports were he was going to play today. Why not give him that chance?

If I find out Jurco has been cut today I'll lose it. ;)

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Meh... never heard of him before the PTO, I’m sure he’ll go back to The KHL and we’ll never hear of him again. Would have been nice if this team had actually targeted an NHL player with a PTO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

He came over without a contract, had some visa problems and was game to try to make the team. His audition was also the result of some of the recruits prospects doing absolutely nothing and the team acknowledging still needing some support offense which they aren't getting from anybody other than Jurco.

Burdasov looks very good in the two games, seemed to adjust quickly to NA game, drew raves from fans, and the Oilers punt him.

With the bad blood involving Yak, Slepy, Burdasov do we ever get a Russian forward to come and try it here again?

We could use the talent. We're still short topsix.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I kind of got the impression either they had no intention or he had no intention of signing with the team before he even got here. This seemed to be a favour from Holland to Rich Winter (I think that’s who I read was his agent) to get him some North American exposure. I’m not sure how that helps the Oilers or what they got out of it but it certainly seems like the case as he looked like he could be a useful player. This news doesn’t surprise me at all.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Could have been cut or let go for a number of reasons. Maybe the language barrier, we saw that problem with pool party. Maybe he wanted too much money, more than KH was willing to give. Maybe he only wanted top 6 minutes and tipp doesn't trust him there after only 2 preseason games.

I would have liked to have hung on to him as well, but it isn't a big loss. I still feel our scoring depth will be lights years better than last year.

Reactions: belair

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Visa issues aside, he showed more in his 2 games than many of our wingers have shown over the course of the last few seasons as well as this preseason.

Even signing him and keeping him around as an extra forward for a few weeks or a month of practicing and earning a shot with the team seems like it would have been worth it. I dunno what his contract demands were in terms of dollars though. On the surface I don't like it though.

From what I heard his demands weren't much and was willing to even play in the AHL. So he's automatically less of a prick than Poolparty.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Yeah. Its unfortunate.

They play him 24hrs off his long flight, he's still jet lagged from reports but feels fine. Then they SIT HIM 3 days later and only give him one more game, and then pull the plug on him despite him being better than half a dozen other forwards that have done very little. Reports were he was going to play today. Why not give him that chance?

If I find out Jurco has been cut today I'll lose it. ;)

Yeah I'm not impressed at all, he had a good game after a longgggggg flight and adapted well to the NHL rink very quickly. Looks like they're giving Bear all the credit for the pass he made to him. If Jurco gets cut I'm just going to skip this season lol

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I told you all this would happen. Guys like Granlund and Khaira are a lock because they are proven and can PK. Oilers weren't going to use a contract on an unproven. Kind of stupid that he wasn't signed before camp to give him a fighting chance but it is what it is.

My personal opinion is that he showed off NHL ability and outplayed a few other bubble guys with less practice time, less time to adjust to new culture and less games to show what he's got so I would have given him a contract but I'm not Kenny Holland.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I Actually blame the People in organisation. This was way stupid. It must have been about dollars, and they couldnt meet.

I doubt it. He showed up to camp in the middle of it. How can anyone make an impression in half of the time unless he scored like a hat trick in the 2 games he played in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad