Proposal: Oilers/Red Wings Trade

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Wings are only 3 Games back from Third place , They are starting to turn their season around and i know the wings hate missing the playoffs. I think they would rather keep the better player in the deal and push for a post season. They are allready pretty close to a wild card spot as well.

It's not a bad proposal maybe if the first was 100% guaranteed , it would be better .

On another note hopefully Spooner can turn it around for the oilers, He's a much better player than how hes been producing for them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
:edmonton Gustav Nyquist @ 1,650,000 retained (money is even)

:wingsRyan Spooner, Ethan Bear, 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if Oilers make playoffs), 2020 2nd (conditional on Nyquist re-signing)

No Spooner please! Seems like his chance to be anything more than depth has come and gone.

How about Nyquist (50% retained) for a Conditional 2019 1st (Oilers make the 2nd round, otherwise becomes 2nd), and a 2019 2nd (switches to 2020, if the first pick in this trade becomes 2nd rnd pick)?

Slightly OT - I would trade him now, if I was GM of the Wings, as he is red hot right now, and could really cool off by the deadline. While I would want to make the playoffs, the potential for a 1st round + is way to much to give up on. We could also still make without him, however reality is we miss by a lot in both cases.

Reactions: WingsFanInExile

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
No Spooner please! Seems like his chance to be anything more than depth has come and gone.

How about Nyquist (50% retained) for a Conditional 2019 1st (Oilers make the 2nd round, otherwise becomes 2nd), and a 2019 2nd (switches to 2020, if the first pick in this trade becomes 2nd rnd pick)?

Slightly OT - I would trade him now, if I was GM of the Wings, as he is red hot right now, and could really cool off by the deadline. While I would want to make the playoffs, the potential for a 1st round + is way to much to give up on. We could also still make without him, however reality is we miss by a lot in both cases.
I'd d that, but it wouldn't work capwise.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Wings are only 3 Games back from Third place , They are starting to turn their season around and i know the wings hate missing the playoffs. I think they would rather keep the better player in the deal and push for a post season. They are allready pretty close to a wild card spot as well.

It's not a bad proposal maybe if the first was 100% guaranteed , it would be better .

On another note hopefully Spooner can turn it around for the oilers, He's a much better player than how hes been producing for them.

Yeah, there's no way the Red Wings are making the playoffs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
So if we make the playoffs and resign him, Edmonton is giving up Spooner, Bear, a first and a second?
LOLOL That's funny, you fuddy-duddy.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd prefer them to not make the the playoffs, we don't need another 1 & done embarrassment just to appease the clueless one in Ken Holland into thinking the team is going anywhere.

1st or a 2nd straight up for Nyquist, and I'm good.

I agree to disagree here. The core group of young guns (Larkin, Athanasiou, Cholowski, Bertuzzi) has played a grand total of 10 playoffs games, getting them some kind of experience would fairly outweigh the option of tanking or not making it for the sake of a pick that maybe pans out or not.

Edit : There's more of a chance that Detroit doesn't get Hughes anyways, the draft is a crapshoot.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Unless Spooner has some ridiculously bad contract I don’t know about, I don’t see a way Detroit passes something like this up.

I'd prefer them to not make the the playoffs, we don't need another 1 & done embarrassment just to appease the clueless one in Ken Holland into thinking the team is going anywhere.

1st or a 2nd straight up for Nyquist, and I'm good.

Agree with this mindset, except I would be disappointed if we only got a 2nd. I know Vegas overpaid last year, but Nyquist is a superior player than Tatar was last season.
If we take a second, I expect at LEAST an additional third, even if it’s a few years down the road.

This scenario is also why i am very happy Tatar is having a good season. If Vegas was his last note, the reputation of a similar player from the same team may take a hit

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Not a bad offer, HF has done pretty well with offers recently. I think it leans slightly in the Oilers favour but rarely are trades perfectly balanced

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Unless Spooner has some ridiculously bad contract I don’t know about, I don’t see a way Detroit passes something like this up.

Agree with this mindset, except I would be disappointed if we only got a 2nd. I know Vegas overpaid last year, but Nyquist is a superior player than Tatar was last season.
If we take a second, I expect at LEAST an additional third, even if it’s a few years down the road.

This scenario is also why i am very happy Tatar is having a good season. If Vegas was his last note, the reputation of a similar player from the same team may take a hit
I'd be fine with an additional 3rd as well, no problem there.

Guys like Nyquist & Tatar to me were always players that never seemed to either step up or show up when it truly mattered, which is why I always joked that Nyquist tends to always score when the team is already down 4-0 or along those lines, not to mention the 8 career playoff points in 35 games. At this point, get the best you can for him and keep it simple, indeed.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not sure why people are saying it's overpayment. Spooner is basically a dump, Wings don't want him but take him for cap purposes. A late 1st (if Oilers make playoffs) + a B prospect + a CONDITIONAL 2nd on him resigning is not overpayment at all, that's the going rate for top guys available at the TDL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad