Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Nikita Nikitin

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
The opposition has a lot to do with it as well.
Need gryba against big heavy cycling teams like LA.
Schultz is better against speedy finese teams.
If I had to chose, I play gryba. I know he turns it over a lot but his physicality on D is much needed.
Sometimes u just need to lay someone out, to let them know that it can happen and he does that. That in the long run will make life easier for the other D and maybe one day we can shed the "easy to play against" tag this team is so famous for.

Nikitin, when playing his best hockey has more to offer than either of above.
Great shot, decent outlet pass.
Al in all, it's a good risk to take.

Really impressed by davidsons play this year as well.
Let's go oil!

Oct 30, 2011
Glad to hear that Nikitin earned his call-up. Like others have mentioned, it would be nice if he could provide a point shot on one of our PP units. I also agree with Gryba sitting, though I can see why some would say Klefbom. He has been guilty of a few mental errors on the ice, but for the most part he does keep the moving in transition.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Nikitin, but if we are taking back an equally bad contract, then there's really no point.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Some very encouraging words about Nikitin from Gerry Fleming in Bakersfield...

Nice to hear, but he really should be treating some guys to dinner he makes upwards of 20 times what some of those guys are making down there.

With Scrivens and Fayne both down there now I bet those two make more then the entire rest of the AHL squad combined.

Aug 10, 2015
Sit Klefbom.

Davidson - Sekera
Nurse - Schultz
Nikitin - Gryba

Klef needs a game or three in the PB to gain some perspective. We do need Nikitin's shot on our Powerplay.

I blame you for Klefbom's injury tonight Ovechking :P.

I suppose we are likely to see Nikitin against Boston on Monday now?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nice to hear, but he really should be treating some guys to dinner he makes upwards of 20 times what some of those guys are making down there.

With Scrivens and Fayne both down there now I bet those two make more then the entire rest of the AHL squad combined.

I dont think the money is really the point though.
To me its more about the camaraderie and willingness to be a team player off the ice...especially considering its the AHL.
There was nothing forcing Nikitin to be that person...he could have just kept to himself.

He has taken it upon himself to be a leader on and off the ice.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
At his best Nikitin has looked like a top 4D. The biggest issue was coniditioning and consistency

Maybe hell play with enough urgency to not be sent back down. But he seems like a true professional. Could have pulled a Semin, but went down to Bakers and was a strong mentor for all the young D (who are fighting to take his job). Had little incentive to do that, but shows hes a good pro

Except that he signed the biggest contract of his life..one he will likely never see again...and came in fat and out of shape for both camps...

He showed great professionalism going down...but hes not a good pro IMO

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
How's he play in first game?

Looked okay with limited ice time compared to the rest of the team.... I guess. Tough to say on that one. The whole team was either a general no-show or badly outclassed except for half of the first period, and very small portions of the third. Probably a bit of column a and a bit of column b.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How's he play in first game?

I really didn't notice him that much, which isn't bad I guess as when Ference is in you notice him all the time for the wrong reason.

He did blast a couple hard shots towards the net which was nice to see.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I actually thought he was better than Gryba, albeit against weaker opposition and in lesser minutes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I actually thought he was better than Gryba, albeit against weaker opposition and in lesser minutes.

Gryba looks like junk against high scoring attacking teams like the Bruins.

As for Nikitin - meh. Did enough to keep his head above water but you could tell McLellan was using him very surgically.

Sekera: 23:21
Davidson: 20:51
Nurse: 20:30
Gryba: 19:45
Schultz: 17:54
Nikitin: 14:44

Brandon Davidson, man. Every time I make a point of watching that kid lately he does nothing but impress me.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

As for Nikitin - meh. Did enough to keep his head above water but you could tell McLellan was using him very surgically.

Sekera: 23:21
Davidson: 20:51
Nurse: 20:30
Gryba: 19:45
Schultz: 17:54
Nikitin: 14:44

Brandon Davidson, man. Every time I make a point of watching that kid lately he does nothing but impress me.

One of this years pleasant surprises. Remember the start of the year when the debate on this board was why dont they waive him no-one will pick him up!

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Gryba looks like junk against any team whose forwards aren't still skating with the help of a chair. He's fine at winning battles but is useless with the puck on his stick, which is sort of an important part of the game.

He wasn't great last night, but he had some moments. I'll give him a pass because he was carrying an extra 200 pounds around with him out there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One of this years pleasant surprises. Remember the start of the year when the debate on this board was why dont they waive him no-one will pick him up!

I still don't think anyone would've taken him early on. Now however he's shown quite a bit

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Glad to hear that Nikitin earned his call-up. Like others have mentioned, it would be nice if he could provide a point shot on one of our PP units. I also agree with Gryba sitting, though I can see why some would say Klefbom. He has been guilty of a few mental errors on the ice, but for the most part he does keep the moving in transition.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Nikitin, but if we are taking back an equally bad contract, then there's really no point.

Exactly. But we have too many dmen. If he can be exchanged to 3rd line center wit expiring contract or added to the package that brings better dman to Edmonton ( not here I am in Bakersfield)

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
I thought NN didn't play too bad. Not his fault on the B's goal, had some good hammers from the point and moved the puck efficiently. All in all a decent game to build on.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
So, how'd nikitin do in his 2nd game?

Honestly, he was one of the better defenders IMO.

Decision making was sound, save for 1 rush that led to a 2 on 1, but he was making quick exits out of the zone, pinching pretty well, and wasn't too out of position.

It's only been 2 games, but having him on the bottom pairing doesn't seem like it'll kill us right now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gryba looks like junk against any team whose forwards aren't still skating with the help of a chair. He's fine at winning battles but is useless with the puck on his stick, which is sort of an important part of the game.

Gryba is the softest 6' 3" out there. He probably wins a few more battles than he loses. I guess that's fine.

He needs to get tough. 225 lbs for his height is light too. 250 is a much more solid weight.

Meh. We gave up eff all for him. He's been an ok third pairing guy. If he got tougher he could jump up into a second paring. A minor win of a trade.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Gryba is the softest 6' 3" out there. He probably wins a few more battles than he loses. I guess that's fine.

He needs to get tough. 225 lbs for his height is light too. 250 is a much more solid weight.

Meh. We gave up eff all for him. He's been an ok third pairing guy. If he got tougher he could jump up into a second paring. A minor win of a trade.

Gryba is soft? Haven't heard that one before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad