Recalled/Assigned: Oilers Recall Nikita Nikitin

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
tqzGqEg.jpg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Meh, might not even play. And by all accounts he was good in Bakers. One of the best D night in and night out. Maybe hes learnt to consistently put in effort

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Y'know what? I'm okay with it. Nikitin took the demotion without bolting for the KHL, went down and worked on his game. If the organization is to have any credibility when it says it is sending players down for exactly that purpose, they need to give him another shot.

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Perhaps he's ironed out some of the less desirable aspects of his game and gotten in better shape? Those are pretty good numbers for a defenceman, even in the AHL.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
At face value, Nikitin's play last season and this pre-season was not enough to keep him in Edmonton. On the other hand, he accepted his assignment to the AHL like a professional and played relatively well in Bakersfield. That is typically what you want a coaching staff to reward, if an opportunity presents itself.

Best case scenario - Nikitin has put in the work and shows the effort to be a 6/7 defenseman.

Worst case scenario - He ends up back in Bakersfield. I guess in this case we hope he doesn't cost the team any games when played on the Oilers.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
best case scenario is he shows up like a beast and is russian Shea weber

*best case scenario

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
At his best Nikitin has looked like a top 4D. The biggest issue was coniditioning and consistency

Maybe hell play with enough urgency to not be sent back down. But he seems like a true professional. Could have pulled a Semin, but went down to Bakers and was a strong mentor for all the young D (who are fighting to take his job). Had little incentive to do that, but shows hes a good pro

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
This honestly doesn't bother me much. Unless the Oilers are planning on sitting Gryba for a game or two, I don't see Nikitin being anything more than a popcorn chewer for the time being, only here in case of injury.

And at least by all accounts he didn't sulk in Bakersfield, he supposedly has played well and his absence will give Fayne extra minutes to get his stuff in order.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Not bad at all, hopefully people don't overreact here and see this for what it is. Bit of a reward and a showcase.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
As I said in the trade thread, surely he's no worse than Gryba, right?

Set up for the Jultz/Hamonic swap, book it. :naughty:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Why don't we bring in a top pairing guy AND dump Fayne. Fayne couldn't hold Petrys jock strap by the way. I'm not even a Petry fan but Fayne is hot garbage. Klefboms support system?? More like his ball and chain. ....at this point there isn't much Fayne does that is better then Gryba...I really can't think of much. The problem with Fayne is that he doesn't do any of the basic hockey skills well. It's pathetic. He should be sending cheques to Greene and Brodeur for the rest of his NHL career. Skating...slow as all hell. Shooting...muffin....Passing....what's that....Stick handling.....Lets play hot potatoe. If I was Chia I seriously consider swapping him out for Nikitin.

Last edited by KlimasLoveChild; 12-06-2015 at 04:55 PM..

Apparently Chia trolls HF and likes my work. Are there any requests out there? :laugh:

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Apparently he performed admirably down there and was very worthy of the recall. He was a really good teacher on and off the ice and accepted it the demotion to work on his game. Interested to see how he performs in the big league.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Y'know what? I'm okay with it. Nikitin took the demotion without bolting for the KHL, went down and worked on his game. If the organization is to have any credibility when it says it is sending players down for exactly that purpose, they need to give him another shot.

I second that opinion.

Nikitin shat his bed in preseason and was sent down for it. By all accounts he has worked hard and been good in the AHL. Now Fayne shat his bed by not providing enough effort and he's sent down. Being scratched or benched obviously didn't help, maybe this will be the wake up call he needs. Makes sense to call up the guy who actually seems to have improved, albeit playing in the AHL, and who really should have been playing with the big boys based on his salary alone...

Good call. Definitely last chance for Nikitin here. Fayne could go the same way as Nikitin, but there is also the Scrivens way. I guess we'll see.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

totally agree.
I think he deserves another chance to show what he learned from the demotion. maybe he did find his game. gives the Oilers a chance to find out before finally giving up on him.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not going to jump to any conclusions until I see him play. Reports from the AHL say he's looked good. Hopefully the demotion did him some good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad