News Article: Oilers ranked 5th for best offseason

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
No goalie improvement, No D improvement, Bottomsix got much worse.

Basically one addition this offseason. "5th best offseason" jebus.

Of course its Dom. The same guy that doesn't even put MVP Draisaitl on his list. Not sure I'd go on what he thinks.

Why would we change our goaltending? There's no logical way of doing that. No one will take Campbell. The only player we lost is Kostin who may get replaced by Holloway through the year. Bjugstad just played 20-24 games for us as a 4th line C

I don't know why I'm wasting my breath but you do realize their is no perfect team. Also we still have like 10 months to improve the roster.

Like seriously name all the teams right now without flaws. Under a cap system we should be flawed by design.

Who are you moving to make room for the 4.5M it would have taken to keep Kostin and Bjugstad. It's actually kind of ironic that your dumping on Holland for losing them when he was the one that brought them in the first place. I guess he doesnt get ant credit for showing that he can add cheap depth players. Theres just no way we could possibly add a player of Bjugstads calibre at the deadline... 🙄
No GM or coach will get any credit from him so no point in trying to convince them

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yamamoto, Kostin and Bjugstad combined for 52 points last season with the Oilers. Connor Brown alone could replace their production let alone what Holloway and Lavoie/other replacement do.
Dont disagree with you and I am hoping for this to play out, but it’s also where in the lineup the 52 points come from. If they come because CB is stapled to CMcD, that’s not a gain. The club needs that same production coming from lines 2,3,4.

Balance.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I do think Holland has done well so far (we ll see about those upcoming rfa deals) but I don't agree that we are improved by losing Kostin and Bjugstad. There may be some statistical reasoning against them but I don't agree that those stats say the whole story

But it was good to move on from them just to save the cash. As a cap move it makes sense, but if the cap wasn't a factor we would have loved to keep them

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Dylan Holloway is the wild card. If he steps up his game and becomes the third-line driver from the wing it changes the fortunes of the Edmonton Oilers in a big way.

Say he becomes a Connor Brown level player. He has the draft pedigree and solid all around skating. That one breakout player at forward would make a huge difference.

I wanted Holloway to be developed slowly into a center but I don't believe that's going to come to fruition this season. I see some of the experts predicting he might be the 4th-line pivot but I doubt it.

If Holloway can play the entire season in the NHL, stays healthy and shows strong defensive coverage abilities you start transitioning him to center the year after next.
Yeah they definitely need a breakout player at forward. Being the highest scoring team with the second highest scoring bottom 6 simply isn’t good enough.

Reactions: TB12

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Yeah they definitely need a breakout player at forward. Being the highest scoring team with the second highest scoring bottom 6 simply isn’t good enough.
Obviously the "development of a drafted player" and "acquiring strong defensive coverage abilities" sections of the post went over you head. A little astonishing since that's what the post is regarding entirely.

Presumably you believe the Oilers bottom-six is so incomparable it can take a hit being downgraded without negatively affecting the team. Good for you and your conceptualization abilities. May they serve you well.

I was hoping the Oilers third-line could be augmented by the natural development of a high pedigree recent first round draftee who has the qualifications to be a rising asset on the roster. You don't think they need that player. Good for you.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I liked Kostin but unfortunately he prioritized a few hundred grand over a chance to win a cup with the team that resurrected his career. Says a lot about his character. I think Lavoie could be a similar player next year.

I’m still not understanding how they will get cap compliant.
Well, I see a lot of posts defend players when they got their astronomical 6-11 m$. And when a player get 100% more in salary somewhere else , and at 2m$ is like a scumbag?

Dude.

And I actually think Kostin will get a better fair chance to become a middle 6er in Detroit. But he rescurred his career in Oilers. Thats right. But his futurr here is bottom 6.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Well, I see a lot of posts defend players when they got their astronomical 6-11 m$. And when a player get 100% more in salary somewhere else , and at 2m$ is like a scumbag?

Dude.

And I actually think Kostin will get a better fair chance to become a middle 6er in Detroit. But he rescurred his career in Oilers. Thats right. But his futurr here is bottom 6.
I never said he’s a scrum bag just that he didn’t prioritize winning while helping the team that helped him. There’s no guarantees in Detroit. They are loaded with bottom 9 players. Could very well be back on waiver if he has a bad camp or some injury troubles and has a bad season.

Reactions: capazzo

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
We didn’t have Kostin or Bjugstad at the start of last season either.

Yeah, I've posted this a few times but having to shed depth players every off-season is normal for contenders, especially if they were acquired at the deadline as rentals. Anyone who is upset about Kostin and Bjugstad should look at what some other teams around us in the standings had to sacrifice this summer.

The good news is we have a few young guys that might be able to make an impact this season a la Kostin (Holloway, Lavoie, Bourgault) and it won't be hard to acquire a Bjugstad level player at the deadline again when teams are willing to retain 50%.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I never said he’s a scrum bag just that he didn’t prioritize winning while helping the team that helped him. There’s no guarantees in Detroit. They are loaded with bottom 9 players. Could very well be back on waiver if he has a bad camp or some injury troubles and has a bad season.
But you intend he is a bad charachter. Well, he isnt. If Oilers doesnt want to give him morr than minimum, he has the right to go if somwone wants him. It should be pointed out its just a plus if he stays. Yes, he could be back on waivers but I think not.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
But you intend he is a bad charachter. Well, he isnt. If Oilers doesnt want to give him morr than minimum, he has the right to go if somwone wants him. It should be pointed out its just a plus if he stays. Yes, he could be back on waivers but I think not.

They could have given him more than minimum and it sounds like they offered more than minimum. Plenty of players have taken cuts to stay on a team they want to play for. He decided to chase the bag, which is absolutely okay but it does reflect on what his priorities are.

I mean, both Janmark and Derek Ryan took cuts to stay. Both could have made even a bit more on the open market

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You stated he has questionable character, inferred something is wrong with him, and focus on the one sided interaction. Kostin did everything possible for this club, helped the team any way he could. Fought several toughs, defended team mates, hit everything in sight and scored goals and huge goals for the team. Kostin's scoring contribution was critical in us getting by the Kings in first round. The gifts the player gave were huge.

The reward the player got in playoffs and at segments of season was being scratched, shorted minutes, and only getting 7mins a night in playoffs despite playing large, and effectively in those minutes.

Further the Oilers responded by nickle and diming the player. The Oilers Prioritized an inconsistent player like Foegele over a gamer like Kostin. Goes both ways. That the Oilers preferred to pay more for Foegele and continue to, and not deal that contract instead says everything about how much the org was devaluing Kostin despite his many contributions.

Wings get a tiger on skates. A rare quantity player that will do anything on ice. Such a player wants to be believed in, supported. He supported the team, team mates, turns out he didn't get that in return.

Reactions: rboomercat90

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think the idea that we had the 5th best offseason is quite frankly nonsense. Dom's idea that Kostin and Bjugstad were addition by subtraction is the reason why so many people dont take his model seriously. That being said, I dont think we should of signed Kostin and Bjugstad to the deals that they got. If we wanted to keep either guy we would of likely had to sacrifice Foegele for them, which honestly I would of been fine with, but its still a shoulder shrug for me (and I do like Foegele expiring 1 year earlier).

I think the idea that Brown, Holloway and Lavoie outproducing Yamamoto, Kostin and Bjugstad is a fair point. I am excited to see what Brown can do here (I think he will be far more effective than Yamamoto). The team will lose some extra size and physicality (with some offense) by not having Bjugstad and Kostin. I have some faith that Holloway will be able to contribute (assuming that Woodcroft gives him a leash). But I honestly dont have much hope in Lavoie doing much here. I have always had a feeling that theres some beef between the Oilers and Lavoie but who knows. I think he will be hitting waivers and getting picked up at some point during the season (Hopefully I am wrong).

I think the bottom 6 is currently worse. But there could be another signing coming when McLeod/Bouchard getting sorted out. If Toews comes in or they sign Tatar (and push RNH to 3C), then its a different conversation. I do think we should sign another forward.

I am not really all that worried though. I do think some significant changes will happen at the trade deadline (mostly RD related and G (if Campbell struggles again). As much as I was hoping we would see more moves, I kind of figured it would be a slow offseason. And its hard to really fault Holland too much because no one can make deals at the moment with Bettmans flat cap.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They could have given him more than minimum and it sounds like they offered more than minimum. Plenty of players have taken cuts to stay on a team they want to play for. He decided to chase the bag, which is absolutely okay but it does reflect on what his priorities are.

I mean, both Janmark and Derek Ryan took cuts to stay. Both could have made even a bit more on the open market
in fairness you're comparing vet player that have made well over 10M in their careers and that have already got paid to a young player trying to get a decent contract. Janmark has also had several contracts where he got paid more than the ask and settle for Kostin.

Janmark-12.3M in earnings. Made man.

Derek Ryan 14M in career earnings. People forget that Ryan hit the Jackpot in Calgary scoring a contract worth nearly 10M that set him up for anything the rest of his life.

Conversely Kostin:

He'd hauled in just less than 2M prior to signing the new contract.

Nothing unordinary for vet players on last contracts to take a discount just to stick on a team. Its a totally different situation.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
in fairness you're comparing vet player that have made well over 10M in their careers and that have already got paid to a young player trying to get a decent contract. Janmark has also had several contracts where he got paid more than the ask and settle for Kostin.

Derek Ryan 14M in career earnings. People forget that Ryan hit the Jackpot in Calgary scoring a contract worth nearly 10M that set him up for anything the rest of his life.

Conversely Kostin:

Nothing unordinary for vet players on last contracts to take a discount just to stick on a team. Its a totally different situation.
I don’t blame Kostin at all for wanting to make money. I think he had a good thing going here. Wish we could of signed him to like a 1.5m deal. But when hes made no career money, is 25 ish, you can’t blame him for chasing the bag. I don’t love him bringing in the KHL as a negotiating tactic but who knows to what extent it happened.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

You putting a knife to his throat. Ryan is 38, he should be glad getting a contract, and now its his last shot at the cup. Janmark is etablished, and has made som millions before. Kostin is about to set a tone for his career, his starts now. Does he wan to be buried on a team in bottom 6 with minimum salary? Holland had a choice, and did it.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But you intend he is a bad charachter. Well, he isnt. If Oilers doesnt want to give him morr than minimum, he has the right to go if somwone wants him. It should be pointed out it’s just a plus if he stays. Yes, he could be back on waivers but I think not.
Yeah he wanted money more than he wanted a chance at a cup on a team that salvaged his career. I don’t think you win with players like that especially in the cap era and even more so in the screwed up cap situation the league faces today. Unestablished players nickel and dime good teams right now. This isn’t unique to Kostin.
You stated he has questionable character, inferred something is wrong with him, and focus on the one sided interaction. Kostin did everything possible for this club, helped the team any way he could. Fought several toughs, defended team mates, hit everything in sight and scored goals and huge goals for the team. Kostin's scoring contribution was critical in us getting by the Kings in first round. The gifts the player gave were huge.

The reward the player got in playoffs and at segments of season was being scratched, shorted minutes, and only getting 7mins a night in playoffs despite playing large, and effectively in those minutes.

Further the Oilers responded by nickle and diming the player. The Oilers Prioritized an inconsistent player like Foegele over a gamer like Kostin. Goes both ways. That the Oilers preferred to pay more for Foegele and continue to, and not deal that contract instead says everything about how much the org was devaluing Kostin despite his many contributions.

Wings get a tiger on skates. A rare quantity player that will do anything on ice. Such a player wants to be believed in, supported. He supported the team, team mates, turns out he didn't get that in return.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Conversely Kostin:

What was stopping him from taking something like $1.5M for a year and getting paid afterwards? Instead he’s going to the Yzer10yearplan and got paid. He would have had a good spot here, there he’s going to struggle to get minutes. Sure, Woody didn’t give him much but the competition for that kind of ice team will be even worse there

You putting a knife to his throat. Ryan is 38, he should be glad getting a contract, and now its his last shot at the cup. Janmark is etablished, and has made som millions before. Kostin is about to set a tone for his career, his starts now. Does he wan to be buried on a team in bottom 6 with minimum salary? Holland had a choice, and did it.

He’s a bottom 6 player, there’s nothing wrong with that. Do you think he’s being paid to be a top 6 RW on the Dead Things?

Reactions: capazzo

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What was stopping him from taking something like $1.5M for a year and getting paid afterwards? Instead he’s going to the Yzer10yearplan and got paid. He would have had a good spot here, there he’s going to struggle to get minutes. Sure, Woody didn’t give him much but the competition for that kind of ice team will be even worse there

He’s a bottom 6 player, there’s nothing wrong with that. Do you think he’s being paid to be a top 6 RW on the Dead Things?
Like McLeod? The fact is that the current GM is not doing a very good job of managing the cap. There will be hell to pay for the Brown contract next season so we will already be behind the 8 ball and then the potential Draisaitl and McDavid extensions are on the horizon the 2 seasons following that. The only contract of significance coming off the books next season is the Foegele one. Much or all of that cap could be going to Brown's potential bonus $. The reality was more likely that we were offering Kostin Janmark or Ryan $. So potentially ~$1 million for 1 or 2 years vs. $4 million for 2 years. That's a lot of scratch to be leaving on the table after you started the season in the AHL.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Like McLeod? The fact is that the current GM is not doing a very good job of managing the cap. There will be hell to pay for the Brown contract next season so we will already be behind the 8 ball and then the potential Draisaitl and McDavid extensions are on the horizon the 2 seasons following that. The only contract of significance coming off the books next season is the Foegele one. Much or all of that cap could be going to Brown's potential bonus $. The reality was more likely that we were offering Kostin Janmark or Ryan $. So potentially ~$1 million for 1 or 2 years vs. $4 million for 2 years. That's a lot of scratch to be leaving on the table after you started the season in the AHL.

McLeod may or may not end up traded if his demands are too high. And a bottom 6C is worth more than a bottom 6 winger.

To the bolded, I entirely disagree. You absolutely “rob Peter to pay Paul” in this shitty flat cap. They have cap coming off the books and can trade to clear cap much easier once the cap starts going up. One of or both of Ceci and Kulak will not be Oilers next season.

Some fans are too worried about how the team looks today vs how it will at the deadline.

I was a big fan of the guy but Kostin was a luxury they couldn’t afford and could be another Kassian as early as this season. He could also live up to his contract. But he chased the bag and is playing for the Dead Things, so who cares?

Reactions: Oil53 and capazzo

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It seems like a lot of people believe we have Brown for 3.25 million next year or something. Feels like there is a serious disconnect.

If we want to sign Connor Brown here next year, we will be paying him in total at least 8 million dollars for the year. Feel like that's lost on some people. We can not afford him next year no matter how he plays. He will not be on the team and we will be giving him 3.25 million dollars to play for someone else.

Now with McLeod surely getting 2.25+ in arbitration, it makes me upset we didn't keep Kostin even moreso than before. Slotting RNH in at 3C with Kostin here would have been much better than McLeod.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Do we know what happend behinf the scenes? Holland may have dealt him because he didnt fit the team. That Woodcraft sat him on the bench playofftime says a lot of how much woodcraft views him.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Holland may have dealt him because he didnt fit the team.
I don’t understand how people keep thinking this way. Last year the Oilers had Puljujarvi and Yamamoto taking up $6 million in cap space. Kostin’s at $2 million would have been at least equal bang for the buck. The team could have and would have signed him for that amount. The problem is that Holland gave away all the money to Nurse and Campbell. That’s it. The end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad