News Article: Oilers ranked 5th for best offseason

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Dom from the Athletic posted:

The Oilers only made one addition this offseason and it’s a good one. Connor Brown comes in cheap and should fit perfectly anywhere in the team’s top nine. He’s a hardworking winger who can score and grind while being an asset at both ends of the ice. That’s a sizeable improvement from Kailer Yamamoto who just wasn’t working out in a top-six role anymore.

The rest of the team’s improvement here is from Nick Bjugstad and Klim Kostin no longer being on the roster. Both are viewed as below-average players though Edmonton’s actual improvement will depend on who the Oilers get to replace those players.

Toronto ranked 30th lol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The Oilers only made one addition this offseason and it’s a good one. Connor Brown comes in cheap and should fit perfectly anywhere in the team’s top nine. He’s a hardworking winger who can score and grind while being an asset at both ends of the ice. That’s a sizeable improvement from Kailer Yamamoto who just wasn’t working out in a top-six role anymore.

The rest of the team’s improvement here is from Nick Bjugstad and Klim Kostin no longer being on the roster. Both are viewed as below-average players though Edmonton’s actual improvement will depend on who the Oilers get to replace those players.

Toronto ranked 30th lol
The Leafs acquired some of the best handshakers in the league.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Toronto ranked 30th lol
Only 5th, that’s gonna put some voluminous posters into an absolute spiral (and continued deluge of nonsensical posts).
;)

Have to give credit where it's due, I used to think the only way to acquire quality handshakers was thru the draft, but the Leafs have proven that theory wrong. They've stocked the cupboard via both methods. Pretty darn impressive.
This isn’t a league where you have the luxury of developing handshakers. You need players than can step right in and demonstrate a firm grip and eye to eye contact, it’s a handshake “now” window in TO.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I've been saying this all offseason. The fact that the Oilers didnt have to offload a bunch of guys was a massive win for this team.

A team like Toronto traded away a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th to bring in RoR and Noel Acciari for 24 and 34 games respectively.

They then traded away another 1st and 2nd for 1 more year of Lafferty and 2 of McCabe, which neither are an impact player like we got in Ekholm.

They also traded Rasmus Sandin for a 1st only to select a guy who was a 2nd-3rd round talent.

They also saw Bunting (49 points), Kerfoot (32 points), Gustafsson, Schenn and Holl leave the organization.

They have yet to sign their starting goaltender and are 9M over the cap. They can LTIR Muzzin but they might have to pay through the teeth to offload Murray.

I don't see their goaltending being any better. Their defence got worse by adding Klingberg.

I like the Domi and Bertuzzi signings up front but are only 1 year deals. I dont get the team trying to go all in again this year with even fewer assets. Like half the team can walk at the end of the year.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Toronto ranked 30th lol
Balderdash.

The Oilers gained one top 9 winger who's contract is an overage albatross, when he may not even be playing for the club. If Brown does well this season he likely prices himself out of an extension with the Oilers.

Re-signed two mediocre replacement level wingers (Ryan & Janmark) for the bottom six and let their only two exceptional bottom six players go (Bjugstad & Kostin). The actual best third-line center we had in very long time, which is downright pathetic, and fan favorite muscle that could actually score.

Failed to address RD. (Ceci, Bouchard and Desharnais) Below average.

Failed to address the goaltending situation. (Skinner & Campbell) Average at best.

Likely to overpay two remaining RFAs. (Bouchard & McLeod)

When we sign McLeod, undoubtedly we will, the club is still short a third-line center, because he ain't it.

Coaching just got shellacked in the Stanley Cup playoffs by Vegas. This should be the number one story coming out of the playoffs for the Edmonton Oilers.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can't read any of the garbage because its Athletic paywall nonsense but did Dum actually state that?

I was just going off of this part of the quote in the OP:

"The rest of the team’s improvement here is from Nick Bjugstad and Klim Kostin no longer being on the roster. Both are viewed as below-average players though Edmonton’s actual improvement will depend on who the Oilers get to replace those players."

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was just going off of this part of the quote in the OP:

"The rest of the team’s improvement here is from Nick Bjugstad and Klim Kostin no longer being on the roster. Both are viewed as below-average players though Edmonton’s actual improvement will depend on who the Oilers get to replace those players."

Thanks. lol.

The OP must not even watch the Oilers. 6 playoff goals from "below average players"

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Balderdash.

The Oilers gained one top 9 winger who's contract is an overage albatross, when he may not even be playing for the club. If Brown does well this season he likely prices himself out of an extension with the Oilers.

Re-signed two mediocre replacement level wingers (Ryan & Janmark) for the bottom six and let their only two exceptional bottom six players go (Bjugstad & Kostin). The actual best third-line center we had in very long time, which is downright pathetic, and fan favorite muscle that could actually score.

Failed to address RD. (Ceci, Bouchard and Desharnais) Below average.

Failed to address the goaltending situation. (Skinner & Campbell) Average at best.

Likely to overpay two remaining RFAs. (Bouchard & McLeod)

When we sign McLeod, undoubtedly we will, the club is still short a third-line center, because he ain't it.

Coaching just got shellacked in the Stanley Cup playoffs by Vegas. This should be the number one story coming out of the playoffs for the Edmonton Oilers.

I don't know why I'm wasting my breath but you do realize their is no perfect team. Also we still have like 10 months to improve the roster.

Like seriously name all the teams right now without flaws. Under a cap system we should be flawed by design.

Who are you moving to make room for the 4.5M it would have taken to keep Kostin and Bjugstad. It's actually kind of ironic that your dumping on Holland for losing them when he was the one that brought them in the first place. I guess he doesnt get ant credit for showing that he can add cheap depth players. Theres just no way we could possibly add a player of Bjugstads calibre at the deadline... 🙄

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't know why I'm wasting my breath but you do realize their is no perfect team. Also we still have like 10 months to improve the roster.

Like seriously name all the teams right now without flaws. Under a cap system we should be flawed by design.

Who are you moving to make room for the 4.5M it would have taken to keep Kostin and Bjugstad. It's actually kind of ironic that your dumping on Holland for losing them when he was the one that brought them in the first place. I guess he doesnt get ant credit for showing that he can add cheap depth players. Theres just no way we could possibly add a player of Bjugstads calibre at the deadline... 🙄
you got that right

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No goalie improvement, No D improvement, Bottomsix got much worse.

Basically one addition this offseason. "5th best offseason" jebus.

Of course its Dom. The same guy that doesn't even put MVP Draisaitl on his list. Not sure I'd go on what he thinks.

Which teams that finished above the Oilers got better this offseason? Keep in mind some of these teams are already in LTIR and wont be able to accrue cap space.

Boston is considerably worse.

Toronto is worse and in LTIR.

Vegas is worse and in LTIR.

NJ is worse.

Carolina is the only team that improved.

Obviouslt replacing Gostisbehere with Orlov and adding Buting were good moves but they didnt really address their weaknesses either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty damn ridiculous IMO. Brown was a definite upgrade on Yamamoto as long as he can stay healthy. Both Bjugstad and Kostin are solid 3rd/4th line guys. Both played physical and could score 10-20 goals in the bottom 6. It is not by accident that both guys got paid well above NHL minimum salaries while other quality guys are still twisting in the wind wishing that they could get such deals. For all of the Yamamoto love here it is no accident that these 2 got paid more than he did as they were more coveted players. As it stands this offseason has not been near good enough. Improving in 1 area while taking a step back in depth is at best a wash IMO.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No goalie improvement, No D improvement, Bottomsix got much worse.

Basically one addition this offseason. "5th best offseason" jebus.

Of course its Dom. The same guy that doesn't even put MVP Draisaitl on his list. Not sure I'd go on what he thinks.
This opinion matters or has credibility? Not so sure...

"On Sept. 10, Sean Couturier was awarded the Selke Trophy as the NHL’s best defensive forward. On Monday night before Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final, Leon Draisaitl won the Hart Trophy as league MVP and John Carlson finished second in voting for the Norris Trophy as the league’s best defenceman.

I left all three off my PHWA ballot entirely."

Signed,

The Smartest Guy in the World

Oil had the off-season that was foreseen. The big pieces are in place. Ride status quo, make a $4 million bet on a CBA quirk top nine player, hope average goaltending will take hold. Ride out defense and hopefully upgrade a likely top 4 RD then.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Pretty damn ridiculous IMO. Brown was a definite upgrade on Yamamoto as long as he can stay healthy. Both Bjugstad and Kostin are solid 3rd/4th line guys. Both played physical and could score 10-20 goals in the bottom 6. It is not by accident that both guys got paid well above NHL minimum salaries while other quality guys are still twisting in the wind wishing that they could get such deals. For all of the Yamamoto love here it is no accident that these 2 got paid more than he did as they were more coveted players. As it stands this offseason has not been near good enough. Improving in 1 area while taking a step back in depth is at best a wash IMO.

Why does this team have to be better than it was at the deadline? Shouldnt we be comparing this team to where we were last year? Good teams cant keep everyone and load up at the deadline.

Kostin and Bjugstad were rentals. We can rent someone else at next years deadline.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamamoto, Kostin and Bjugstad combined for 52 points last season with the Oilers. Connor Brown alone could replace their production let alone what Holloway and Lavoie/other replacement do.
2 of these are valuable bottomsix players and Bjugstad barely played here being a TDL Acquisition.

Bjugstad last season added 17G, Kostin added 14. You think Connor Brown matches that 31goals?

I'm not even including Yams and never mentioned him.

Why does this team have to be better than it was at the deadline? Shouldnt we be comparing this team to where we were last year? Good teams cant keep everyone and load up at the deadline.

Kostin and Bjugstad were rentals. We can rent someone else at next years deadline.
Why would we when the team is cap crunched? Kostin was not a rental in any way shape or form.

Good luck finding another Kostin. Really. Theres been 3 players like him that the Oilers have added over the last 15yrs. Glencross, Maroon, Kostin. Each time we lose one of these we lose a lot and Kostin is the most talented of the bunch and with most upside. Its amazing to me that people don't recognize the value in these kinds of dig down players.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Because we're trying to win the cup? Because we have no 3rd or 4th round pick this upcoming draft and no 2nd in the following draft and limited prospect assets to use via trade? You try and sign as much depth as possible and then trade for the rest later. Let's say that our plan is to add a top 4RD at the deadline but then have a slough of injuries and need to add to the forward group and elsewhere. Do you trust Holland to make 3-4 big moves with 1 hand tied behind his back? I get that the offseason isn't over yet but ffs people are far too content when we are chasing the cup. We should be loading up and keeping our powder dry in case we have injuries and to make 1 quality add instead of having to make 3-4 adds because we waited all summer long to get the McLeod and Bouchard deals done.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This opinion matters or has credibility? Not so sure...

"On Sept. 10, Sean Couturier was awarded the Selke Trophy as the NHL’s best defensive forward. On Monday night before Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final, Leon Draisaitl won the Hart Trophy as league MVP and John Carlson finished second in voting for the Norris Trophy as the league’s best defenceman.

I left all three off my PHWA ballot entirely."

Signed,

The Smartest Guy in the World

Oil had the off-season that was foreseen. The big pieces are in place. Ride status quo, make a $4 million bet on a CBA quirk top nine player, hope average goaltending will take hold. Ride out defense and hopefully upgrade a likely top 4 RD then.
Goaltending is not in place. Coaching is not in place. Bottomsix is waiting to be an adventure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad