Post-Game Talk: Oilers @ Rangers 11/9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
I'm more worried about the mindset of this team than anything else after last night.

You have to grant that fatigue would be a factor last night. But for this team to return to its own building and play zombie style for 60 minutes is just unacceptable on the NHL level. I'm happy that Hayes played well but with the amount of talent in the forward positions he should not be the one player standing out.

I supported hiring AV when he was available but I've questioned his skills to motivate players. There are guys like Hank and McDonagh who you know will always be up for it, even if it were 3 games in 4 nights. Others, not so much. It's AV's job to keep after those other guys and crack down on slacking.

We've had some nice comebacks this year. But we've also had last night and that crap performance in Montreal where we just kept rolling lines and nothing was being done to force the game. It's times like these when I wonder if AV has the MO to get 100% out of his players week in and out.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Teams that are on the outside looking in at Thanksgiving usually have a hard time getting into the post season.

That being said, the script is written for us to do exactly that season. The injuries have piled up and we lost a few "key" players in the off-season.

Getting the new guys to gel and getting key injured players back will be viewed as the reason for our turnaround.

I'm not going to let myself panic until after x-mas.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
the good thing out of last night was AV was forced to go to hagelin Hayes Duke and actually played them and they played well. leave them alone give them third line mins

these kids are used to playing big mins everywhere they've ever played giving them 8 9 mins does nothing for them. give them 3rd line mins play hayes on the pK like they've been starting to do play duke on the 2nd pp unit like they've been doing

let's develop them properly. only 2 rookies on the team we can live with their mistakes lord knows the vets are making way more of than they are.

I think hayes is very solid defensively I have no problem playing him with duke in all honesty the more I think about it.

id stick with nash brass msl and ck stepan zucc then follow up with hags hayes duke and glass moore stempniak

eventually miller should get some mins in dukes spot imo

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Hardly a reason not to battle in a corner or in front of net.

Absolutely true.

I'm still not going to panic.

They stunk this weekend. Flat out.

They also had plenty of days/weekends/stretches last yr where you could say the same.

Especially early... and it wasn't all just new coach/new system issues.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The only thing good about a Rangers' losing streak is we get to see some posters we don't see when things are going well.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I think Duclair should stay at this point. In Toronto, you could point at Hunwick, and definitively say he lost us the game. You'd be right. Last night, 18 players not named Lundqvist lost us the game. It was just awful. You can't blame Glass either, as much as some people idiotically do.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think Duclair should stay at this point. In Toronto, you could point at Hunwick, and definitively say he lost us the game. You'd be right. Last night, 18 players not named Lundqvist lost us the game. It was just awful. You can't blame Glass either, as much as some people idiotically do.

i think glass is being blamed due to his lack of creativity and relative uselessness... but he's not the reason anything was lost.

on the other hand, it was the 4th line last year that saved many games and shifted momentum back into the rangers favor... so the hate might be justified

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Youre going to have games like these early in the season. Theyre not indicative of the body of work.

The roster isnt complete and the results are obvious. I know people are pissed at the standings but this team is way too deep when healthy to struggle.

Whatever. So good things, some bad things. I have seen the Dark Ages and this is not dark.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
i think glass is being blamed due to his lack of creativity and relative uselessness... but he's not the reason anything was lost.

on the other hand, it was the 4th line last year that saved many games and shifted momentum back into the rangers favor... so the hate might be justified

Opportunity cost ... Glass's presence means some other line has to get a lot of Dzone time. His line cannot be a fourth line like last year's, which was great at defense, etc.

So he gets put with offensive players, which doesn't work either.

His presence screws everything up.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I'm happy that Hayes played well but with the amount of talent in the forward positions he should not be the one player standing out.

I'll never understand this line of thinking, that a rookie can't shine or be one of the better players on a team. If the kid is good, he's good, regardless of who else is on the team or plays the same position as him. It's like saying Duclair shouldn't be a stand-out player because MSL is on the roster.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Teams that are on the outside looking in at Thanksgiving usually have a hard time getting into the post season.

That being said, the script is written for us to do exactly that season. The injuries have piled up and we lost a few "key" players in the off-season.

Getting the new guys to gel and getting key injured players back will be viewed as the reason for our turnaround.

I'm not going to let myself panic until after x-mas.

I agree. We are pretty much on par with last season. I refuse to panic until January 1st.

I remember last year, went to the Calgary game last year mid December, with a couple from HF. We were then around 4 points out of a playoff spot. I did not panic....

unlike.... Nols.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think the leafs and isles fall apart. No way they keep it up. Rangers have been incredibly unlucky with injuries. We'll be fine

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think the leafs and isles fall apart. No way they keep it up. Rangers have been incredibly unlucky with injuries. We'll be fine

That's very optimistic thinking. The Rangers will have to take the bull by the horns and get better pretty soon or we'll be the ones who fell apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad