TSN: Oilers Projected to Finish 5th in the Pacific Division

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Respect is earned. When the Oilers get something accomplished I'm sure they will get a tonne of praise.
Eh. The hockey media was sure that the Oilers were going to take a significant step last year. They were even McKenzie's dark horse team. The media bandwagon is empty again, and you're right, they're going to have to have a pretty outstanding year to get some semblance of respect.

Taylor Hall scored 50 points in 45 games last year and TSN has him as the 39th best player in the league. It's always going to be an upwards climb for this franchise.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't understand how TSN has the Minnesota Wild so high. They put them at 11th in NHL in the power rankings with this commentary;

The Wild are intriguing, but a lot rests on young players to lift them above and beyond what their steady core (Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, Mikko Koivu, Jason Pominville) can provide. If the Wild are going to be a quality playoff team, then they need strong contributions from at least some of C Charlie Coyle, LW Mikael Granlund, LW Nino Niederreiter and D Mathew Dumba.

Particularly the bolded is silly. These are entirely unproven prospects and if the Wild are in any way relying on these guys for production they will clearly miss the playoffs. Lets not forget the Wild couldn't buy a goal last year and had all kinds of trouble producing.

The Wild, who haven't been all that good since December 2011 when the wheels came right off, have lost Setoguchi, Bouchard, Clutterbuck, as forwards, they've added Matt Cooke, lol.
Heatley is a year older, so is Pominville, who needs to regain form and I'm not sure where the offense is going to come for this club. Certainly theres no forward depth here to speak of.
Wheres the goals and scoring depth on this club? After the first 4 players huge drop off. Offensively speaking this is an eggs in one basket club. Even at that I don't think any of Pominville, Heatley, Parise, koivu are all that well suited to tough WC play. Theres a lot of counting chickens on this lineup before they are hatched.

TSN's reviews, like anybodies are so loaded with opinion, conjecture, look through their rankings, descriptions and explain how Minny is ranked 11th and miles apart from clubs like Phoenix and Nashville. I'm not seeing it.

Heres the TSN Power Rankings I'm referring to;

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
without RNH and Gags, 5th is probably about right. If they can scrounge a .500 until they are healthy, and have a great 2nd half, they might make it. but, they've been dealth a pretty tough hand before they even started (tho, one could say it has been brought on by themselves in not addressing C depth or team toughness which led to a very fearless Kassian).

I, for one, will not be placing $100 on them to make the playoffs. the smart money is going elsewhere.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
The #1 and #2 PP looks pretty good though. I hate the idea of having Smytty in the top six and not Yak.

I'm sure that will change.

My problem is that there are way too many nobodys on the team who have never played a game, and will probably turn out to be no better than Brian Swanson.

Once again, our third and fourth lines will not contribute positively whatsoever. And once again, the team will rely entirely on about 4 guys. I'm not very comfortable with that. There is just no depth at all.

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Seems about right. Somewhat better than Calgary...not sure about Phoenix though.
Smith is light years better than Soft goal per game Dubnyk....he could carry the Coyotes. Also like their defence better than the Oilers.

6th might be more realistic.

Playoffs are very unlikely.

I would second this. Seems like the most likely scenario.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
1. LA
2. Edmonton
3. San Jose
4. Phoenix
5. Anaheim
6. Vancouver
7. Calgary

I think Edmonton will surprise a bunch of people this year and Vancouver will be a mess.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I know everyone is crapping on the Oilers' D, and not without reason, but why how are these groups world beaters?

ANA - Sbisa, Lovejoy and Fistric
SJ - Demers, Hannan, Irwin and Braun

I'm not saying they're terrible groups, but especially SJ, there's nothing special about that group, yet they aren't a "question mark"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know everyone is crapping on the Oilers' D, and not without reason, but why how are these groups world beaters?

I'm not saying they're terrible groups, but especially SJ, there's nothing special about that group, yet they aren't a "question mark"

Like everything you can have flaws in your team, but ANA and SJ make up for their flaws with good goaltending.

We can have weak centers, we can have weak d-men, we can have a non-physical roster, we can have a goalie who isn't a top 10 goalie etc... The problem is while most good teams have one or two of these issues, we have all of them.

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
Posting youtube videos is rather pointless.

Smith has been a better, more reliable goalie...I have no idea why you are having so much trouble accepting that reality.

Well said.

This is a new year, and one that Dubnyk surpasses Smith.

Watch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well said.

This is a new year, and one that Dubnyk surpasses Smith.

Watch.

I hope you are right about that. Bad goals were continuing to happen in preseason so the early returns arent very good.

Dubnyks biggest issue is between his ears and if he doesnt correct it this season I would suggest that its his last season as an Oiler.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope you are right about that. Bad goals were continuing to happen in preseason so the early returns arent very good.

Dubnyks biggest issue is between his ears and if he doesnt correct it this season I would suggest that its his last season as an Oiler.

Who are they going to get that doesn't have those issues? The only real guy that doesn't have head issues is Lunqvist next summer.

Not sure what other trade options there is. Is there a way to test run Hiller?

McDeathbyCheerios*

Like everything you can have flaws in your team, but ANA and SJ make up for their flaws with good goaltending.

We can have weak centers, we can have weak d-men, we can have a non-physical roster, we can have a goalie who isn't a top 10 goalie etc... The problem is while most good teams have one or two of these issues, we have all of them.
Dubnyk was close to top 10 in stats last year and we had god awful defence. This year our defence is much improved and long as Dubs doesn't regress, our non physicalness and center depth is the only problem

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Who are they going to get that doesn't have those issues? The only real guy that doesn't have head issues is Lunqvist next summer.

Not sure what other trade options there is. Is there a way to test run Hiller?

Dubnyk is 27 years old...he was drafted almost 10 years ago.

He has never shown that he has been able to carry the team and be a reliable/consistent #1 goalie. Bad goals are one thing...bad goals at the critical times are another.

He is going to need to carry the team until RNH and Gagner get back.

Its time for Dubnyk to shine. If not now then when?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

He has never shown that he has been able to carry the team and be a reliable/consistent #1 goalie. Bad goals are one thing...bad goals at the critical times are another.

It's not that I disagree, although I think he's better than most give him credit for, but my question is who do you get that doesn't have similar head issues or other issues?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's not that I disagree, although I think he's better than most give him credit for, but my question is who do you get that doesn't have similar head issues or other issues?

Are you suggesting that there are no better options?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

This is his fourth year as a starter. Mike Smith was drafted in 2001, didn't get a starting job until his ninth year post draft. And then he lost it.

He has never shown that he has been able to carry the team and be a reliable/consistent #1 goalie. .

Except for last year when the team got pounded on the shot clock every night.

Bad goals are one thing...bad goals at the critical times are another

*ponders queuing up Jonathan Quick blooper reel.*

Is it his job to score?

This assumes Dubnyk hasn't been doing the job. That's not the case.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I think Oilers will finish 4th in the pacific, I don't think Anaheim are for real. I also think we finish 7th in the west and will end up playing St. Louis in the first round where we will lose in 5 games

hemskysuncle

Nov 2, 2007
This is his fourth year as a starter. Mike Smith was drafted in 2001, didn't get a starting job until his ninth year post draft. And then he lost it.

Except for last year when the team got pounded on the shot clock every night.

*ponders queuing up Jonathan Quick blooper reel.*

Is it his job to score?

This assumes Dubnyk hasn't been doing the job. That's not the case.

similar to what i was going to say - particularly in regards to comparisons with Smith.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I think Oilers will finish 4th in the pacific, I don't think Anaheim are for real. I also think we finish 7th in the west and will end up playing St. Louis in the first round where we will lose in 5 games

That's only possible if St. Lou wins their division; highly unlikely they will beat out Chicago for that honour. If the Oil finish in 7th, they will play the winner of the Pacific division (since Chi should be #1 in the conference)...more than likely LA. I can see that happening.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
That's only possible if St. Lou wins their division; highly unlikely they will beat out Chicago for that honour. If the Oil finish in 7th, they will play the winner of the Pacific division (since Chi should be #1 in the conference)...more than likely LA. I can see that happening.

I like St. Louis to win their division.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

San Jose could potentially have a top 4 of Boyle-Stuart, Burns-Vlasic which is far from question mark and easily better then the Oilers top 4. Anaheim has two goaltenders better then Dubnyk in Fasth and Hiller with an alright defence. In all honesty I could see us finishing above one of those two teams but I can't see us finishing ahead of both unless everyone matures and plays way better then last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad