TSN: Oilers Projected to Finish 5th in the Pacific Division

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Crossover seems like a possibility.

They should be better than Phoenix and Calgary.

I don't believe in Anaheim or Vancouver that much so they'll be pretty close to them too.

Also I think San Jose will trend down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Seems about right. Somewhat better than Calgary...not sure about Phoenix though.
Smith is light years better than Soft goal per game Dubnyk....he could carry the Coyotes. Also like their defence better than the Oilers.

6th might be more realistic.

Playoffs are very unlikely.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Dubnyk had one less win and better GAA and sv% than Mike Smith.

GAA is a team stat and SV% can be a little misleading because Dubnyk gives up soft goals at crucial times.
Smith doesnt...he is a much more reliable goalie.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
GAA is a team stat and SV% can be a little misleading because Dubnyk gives up soft goals at crucial times.
He's a product of the system, much like Bryzgalov was.

Never mind the Coyotes as a whole gave up a whole three less goals than we did.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Giving up soft goals has noting to do with a system.
It has to do with mental toughness. Thats an issue for Dubnyk.

Smith is a better, more reliable goalie.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
TSN and Sportsnet never go out on a limb with anything. Every single comment and projection is predictable as hell. It's just an excuse for annoying toolbags like Johnson and Duthie to flap their gums on television.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he's so mentally tough why is he smashing sticks at the drop of a hat?

Posting youtube videos is rather pointless.

Smith has been a better, more reliable goalie...I have no idea why you are having so much trouble accepting that reality.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

For what its worth, Smith looked better in the World Championships and was chosen as the starter over Dubnyk.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

So do goalies like Luongo, yet he's considered an "elite" goalie and he's not, despite what some people think. He had good D in front of him for years and when he gets hung out to dry, very rarely can hold the fort. I really do believe if Dubnyk was on a good team, he'd be near the top in quite a few categories. He's not the problem and he won't be this year. It's the weakness and center that is going to kill this team.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
5th in the division seems about right.... i would say 10th in the conference is what we should expect, maybe 9th, maybe 11th, but right around 10th seems accurate

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For what its worth, Smith looked better in the World Championships and was chosen as the starter over Dubnyk.

Indeed. Given the opportunity to play either player (when the chips are down) NHL coaches know Smith is the more reliable goalie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So do goalies like Luongo, yet he's considered an "elite" goalie and he's not, despite what some people think. He had good D in front of him for years and when he gets hung out to dry, very rarely can hold the fort. I really do believe if Dubnyk was on a good team, he'd be near the top in quite a few categories. He's not the problem and he won't be this year. It's the weakness and center that is going to kill this team.

So if they were on the same team are you telling me that in a 7 game playoff series you would play Dubnyk ahead of Luongo?

Also...I never said that Dubnyk was the main problem with this team but he still has much to prove with his consistency issues.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
We finish higher than Phoenix for sure.

I wish they would've moved to Quebec City though... So we wouldn't have to put up with their brand of hockey in the west.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
TSN and Sportsnet never go out on a limb with anything. Every single comment and projection is predictable as hell. It's just an excuse for annoying toolbags like Johnson and Duthie to flap their gums on television.

Yes, i agree for the most part. These are all really safe predictions. And that's all they are just predictions. We can finish 5th and make the playoffs or we can finish 4th or even 3rd. There are so many possibilities especially this year. We just have to wait and see.
At this point i have to think we do make it into a playoff spot. That's my guess anyway.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Giving up soft goals has noting to do with a system.
It has to do with mental toughness. Thats an issue for Dubnyk.

Smith is a better, more reliable goalie.

Smith's had one elite season on a team that has a proven track record of making mediocre goalies look elite. Otherwise has been a very mediocre goalie his entire career. More reliable? This is a guy that was on waivers 2 years ago because he couldn't cut it in the NHL.

One of the most overrated goaltenders in the NHL along with Carey Price.

Regardless, 5th seems about right, maybe slightly optimistic No chance IMO at catching San Jose, LA, or Vancouver. Ducks almost surely ahead of us. The Coyotes could be a toss up. They finished ahead of us last year and before that were a very strong team for 3 seasons. Only one we definitely should finish ahead of is the Flames...

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'd say LA, SJS, Vancouver are clearly ahead of Edmonton
Same for Chicago, St. Louis in the other division

Because of our injuries, Anaheim and Minny should easily be ahead of us.

SO we're fighting for that last spot. Phoenix has the best chances of anyone to pass us, Winnipeg isn't bad, Dallas and Colorado are true wildcards, basically anyone but Calgary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad