Rumor: Oilers prepared to move the 10th pick for a quality defenceman

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think Edmonton values Pulju too high for that. They still see him (rightly so) as equal to or greater than a #4 overall pick. Spurgeon is great, but he doesn't pull two top-ten picks on his own (at this stage of his career). Brodin is kinda meh for us, doesn't fill a need for a PMD.

Reasonable efforts though, but it would have to depend on Edmonton thinking Pulju is busting (they don't) and if they did... why would you want him?

Spurgeon + 24 + 63 for 10 + Puljujarvi + 40

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
for those attempting to poke fun at chia and the oilers.....at least make it funny and creative. Seriously, 99% of these posts are brutally lame. I wanna say I'd expect more of HF, but it's really cesspool out here.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Gardener + SJ 2nd + prospect (Timashov/Bracco/Korshkov...not Kap, AJ, or Lil Tim) for 10th and small cap dump (not Lucic).

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
good lord I would hate this from a Wild perspective. No chance we give up a TOP RHD + a 1st for that at all. Big step back for the Wild if we did trade.

Is Spurgeon a top D? I know he can rack up the points, but I always figured he was a second pairing d man. I don’t watch Minnesota closely though, so I guess you could be right.

The fact that he’s only 5’9 and under 170lbs is part of the reason I feel that way I guess.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Is Spurgeon a top D? I know he can rack up the points, but I always figured he was a second pairing d man. I don’t watch Minnesota closely though, so I guess you could be right.

The fact that he’s only 5’9 and under 170lbs is part of the reason I feel that way I guess.

He's been the #2 on one of the better defensive teams for a couple years now.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This could actually help or hurt the Islanders depending on what defensemen become available. No secret Islanders need an upgrade in defense, but it's tough to dangle 11th or 12th when Edmonton can offer 10th, you know? Only if it's a team like Calgary that would rather take less value instead of dealing with Edmonton.

However, and this is just speculation from a messageboard nobody, is that Chia does pull it off and get a defenseman for 10th overall. The assumption I'd make at that point, is the team acquiring 10th overall feels their defense is relatively stable, and thus would prioritize a guy like Hayton, Velano, Farabee, Kravtsov over perhaps a Bouchard or Boqvist who falls.

But yeah, even with Snow at the draft I'm not expecting some Mayfield or Boychuk for 10th miracle.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Lol Spurgeon a "TOP RHD" .. you make me laugh
I guess you don't watch MN much do you. Spurgeon is one of the better dmen out there and forget about the fact he's small...His hockey smarts, the way he plays, defends and can move the puck. He's easily a top pairing dman and he's proved it over the years for one of the better defensive teams in the NHL.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I guess you don't watch MN much do you. Spurgeon is one of the better dmen out there and forget about the fact he's small...His hockey smarts, the way he plays, defends and can move the puck. He's easily a top pairing dman and he's proved it over the years for one of the better defensive teams in the NHL.

Then why are you offering trading him

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton

He is a small dman who has never hit 40pts.
You cant simply ignore that he is small because he does other things well. The same way you can’t ignore that someone is slow, just because he is big.

He is very good but I would call him a borderline top pair....at best.
That would be like calling Sekera in his prime a top pair dman.

Love to have him, but no way would I deal the 10 and poolparty for him.

Reactions: Jets88

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He is a small dman who has never hit 40pts.
You cant simply ignore that he is small because he does other things well. The same way you can’t ignore that someone is slow, just because he is big.

He is very good but I would call him a borderline top pair....at best.
That would be like calling Sekera in his prime a top pair dman.

Love to have him, but no way would I deal the 10 and poolparty for him.

Except he's been a top pair on one of the better defensive teams in the league for a couple years now. There's nothing borderline about it.

Reactions: Bazeek

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

He's a good player who is injury prone. "Top pairing RHD" might be more accurate than "TOP RHD". There's a difference. Playing with Suter probably can't hurt his defensive play either.

Reactions: Jets88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad