Rumor: Oilers prepared to move the 10th pick for a quality defenceman

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
So you propose we lose a trade just for the sake of changing it up?

Coyle outproduced Pulj on one leg. You want to bring linemates into this? McDavid was one of Pulj's most common linemates, along with Lucic. Coyle's most common linemates were Cullen and Ennis.
Yes, that's what I said. 'Let's lose a trade for the sake of changing it up'. Direct quote right there. I want to get rid of our good players for worse players. There is no way Puljujarvi could have a better season than Coyle next year. If not for injuries and bad linemates, Coyle would have scored 80 points. If Puljujarvi was not attached to McDavid at the hip, he wouldn't have scored in the double digits.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
as a Wild fan I wouldn't be opposed to something like this:

EDM: Brodin + 5th
MIN: 10th OA + Puljujarvi

OR

EDM: Spurgeon

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes, that's what I said. 'Let's lose a trade for the sake of changing it up'. Direct quote right there. I want to get rid of our good players for worse players. There is no way Puljujarvi could have a better season than Coyle next year. If not for injuries and bad linemates, Coyle would have scored 80 points. If Puljujarvi was not attached to McDavid at the hip, he wouldn't have scored in the double digits.
You certainly proposed a trade where Minnesota gets shelled in the value department.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

OR

The difference between Spurgeon and Brodin isn’t just a 5th round pick. Minnesota adds in these scenarios. Not sure what exactly but it ain’t Coyle.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
The difference between Spurgeon and Brodin isn’t just a 5th round pick. Minnesota adds in these scenarios. Not sure what exactly but it ain’t Coyle.

Minnesota doesn't add anything else other than what I suggested. Spurgeon is a top pairing RHD and Brodin is a Top 4 LHD. Puljujarvi is unproven and the 10th OA is an unknown.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota doesn't add anything else other than what I suggested. Spurgeon is a top pairing RHD and Brodin is a Top 4 LHD. Puljujarvi is unproven and the 10th OA is an unknown.
I agree from the Wild's side, but Puljujarvi's upside and cap hit make him a pretty hard piece for the Oilers to part with. They need defense, but they also need cheap wingers.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We will find out if/when Spurgeon, Coyle, Poolparty, and the 10th pick are dealt.
Hopefully it’s with other teams if those are the only pieces.
Top 4 LHD and top pairing RHD have way different values.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
I agree from the Wild's side, but Puljujarvi's upside and cap hit make him a pretty hard piece for the Oilers to part with. They need defense, but they also need cheap wingers.
The point I'm making is that you have to give something to get something and when you're getting a Top Pairing RHD like Spurgeon then be prepared to give up quite a bit. Both the 10th OA and Puljujarvi are unknowns at best where Spurgeon and even Brodin have proven their worth.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The point I'm making is that you have to give something to get something and when you're getting a Top Pairing RHD like Spurgeon then be prepared to give up quite a bit. Both the 10th OA and Puljujarvi are unknowns at best where Spurgeon and even Brodin have proven their worth.
Agreed, that's around what it should take to get Spurgeon (I'm a little less sold on the price for Brodin). I can just see why the Oilers would either look for something more modest (Faulk?) or the homerun (Parayko?).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
oh god...what is Chia gonna do...

scurrd.gif

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

OR

I think Edmonton values Pulju too high for that. They still see him (rightly so) as equal to or greater than a #4 overall pick. Spurgeon is great, but he doesn't pull two top-ten picks on his own (at this stage of his career). Brodin is kinda meh for us, doesn't fill a need for a PMD.

Reasonable efforts though, but it would have to depend on Edmonton thinking Pulju is busting (they don't) and if they did... why would you want him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad