Post-Game Talk: Oilers play like an expansion team and lose.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Which is of the 5 goals against last night were Leon's fault?

*crickets*

Fact is McDavid and Draisaitl basically got the team a 2-0 lead last night and the D chose to shit the bed and give Seattle 4 straight goals because they can't figure out basic defensive zone coverage.
Drai made more passes to Seattle than his own team in first period. The only chances Seattle had in firstt period seemed to be with Drai on ice. The breakaway was.

In anycase the comments were not specific to game they were specific to Drai who for the last 12mths has been on ice for a shit ton of GA.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Edmonton Oilers re-signed trade-deadline acquisition Brett Kulak on Wednesday to a four-year contract worth $11 million.

As with almost all of Hollands resignings the guys he signs for multi years stink so bad we can think of nothing but getting rid of them almost before the ink is dry. What an awful awful gm. 100% riding on the coat tails of a few super stars who were here when he arrived.
Don't. Sign. Depth. Players. To. Term. It's a tale as old as time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Edmonton Oilers re-signed trade-deadline acquisition Brett Kulak on Wednesday to a four-year contract worth $11 million.

As with almost all of Hollands resignings the guys he signs for multi years stink so bad we can think of nothing but getting rid of them almost before the ink is dry. What an awful awful gm. 100% riding on the coat tails of a few super stars who were here when he arrived.

Not sure what the problem is with that deal. Kulak f***ed up on goal 2 last night but has generally been one of our steadiest d-men, including Nurse. He's playing up in a position he shouldn't and is still doing ok. Barrie's 5v5 play is also night and day better when he's paired with him.

There is a lot to criticize Holland for, but that deal ain't it. Especially when compared to the deals given to similar defense only d-men in the off season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Drai made more passes to Seattle than his own team in first period. The only chances Seattle had in firstt period seemed to be with Drai on ice. The breakaway was.

In anycase the comments were not specific to game they were specific to Drai who for the last 12mths has been on ice for a shit ton of GA.

His plus minus skyrocketed (along with McDavid's) once Kane got here, which to me suggests that when they're not constantly saddled with shit up front, the GA magically improves.

Go figure.

But anyone that's going to be overly critical of Drai's performance last night, give it a rest, dude is likely playing with core body tear, he shouldn't even be out there for another week but he's willing to likely take some injection that is very bad for him long term because he wants to do what he can.

And really he did basically create the RNH goal, the reason RNH has a wide open net is because of Leon's shot.

This D corps took the gift of a 2-0 lead and decided to shit in their bed and roll around in it, just like the Vancouver game and St. Louis game before that. Forward group gives them a solid lead and they decide to throw it out the window.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Kulak and Foegele hires are basic dog f***er promotions that happen all over the world. The promotion and pay increases for avowed yes man that are never controversial and will never say the wrong thing. Neither are valuable players. There was not even any reasonable prognosis they would be. But they both got raises.

Both are wildly played out of position and made to punch over their weight instead of just getting players that could be used with more requisite skill sets.

Orgs that don't care enough about actual proficiency tend to love hires like Kulak and Foegele.

Not sure what the problem is with that deal. Kulak f***ed up on goal 2 last night but has generally been one of our steadiest d-men, including Nurse. He's playing up in a position he shouldn't and is still doing ok. Barrie's 5v5 play is also night and day better when he's paired with him.

There is a lot to criticize Holland for, but that deal ain't it. Especially when compared to the deals given to similar defense only d-men in the off season.
Kulak has been key in the last two home ice losses. He's had a bad run for about 2-3 weeks.

I sure wouldn't attribute Barrie being "better" to Kulak. Its the other way around and Barrie sheltering Kulak from himself. Kulak, one wouldn't even recognize he's a Vet D. By his own account Kulak is playing awful and needs to be better. But he can't really.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

No he hasn't kulak was signed to that term and that amount to elevate to a 2nd pairing dman. He has totally failed in that roll and we are now looking at a guy signed long term to be a bottom pair dman, the type of guys who should play 9 minutes a night and make dirt cheap money.

Exact same narrative as Foelge, oh yay! We signed a 3rd liner long term! Yay! In reality he is a 4th line scrub we would like to dump if we could.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No he hasn't kulak was signed to that term and that amount to elevate to a 2nd pairing dman. He has totally failed in that roll and we are now looking at a guy signed long term to be a bottom pair dman, the type of guys who should play 9 minutes a night and make dirt cheap money.

Exact same narrative as Foelge, oh yay! We signed a 3rd liner long term! Yay! In reality he is a 4th line scrub we would like to dump if we could.
Kulak is literally a cheaper Kris Russell.

Foegele was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, that's how much of a factor he's been.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He wears #97. You could also make an argument for #93.
93 has better wingers than Drai has. For third line duty.

McD has Hyman the best winger on the club and often has Kane too, when healthy, at the same time.

Go through the years and Drai has junk wingers. As bad as Khaira. lol. The Hawks specifically go out searching for worst in league caliber players like Khaira as they can be relied on to be utterly useless always further to the tank.

Drai as you note has one winger that was so bad he was scratched repeatedly in the playoffs, and the other winger is useless and has been concussed 2-3 times in the last year. Yama falls down 5 times a game without even being touched. 5 more times he's being crashed into the boards because he can't even evade incoming. he shouldn't even be playing.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Kulak has been key in the last two home ice losses. He's had a bad run for about 2-3 weeks.

I sure wouldn't attribute Barrie being "better" to Kulak. Its the other way around and Barrie sheltering Kulak from himself. Kulak, one wouldn't even recognize he's a Vet D. By his own account Kulak is playing awful and needs to be better. But he can't really.

That's not what I've been seeing. Barrie was an unmitigated disaster 5v5 last season and then turned around the moment Kulak was acquired. He was also playing fairly shitty to start the year paired with Niemo then again went on his run of good play with Kulak. It's been two years in a row.

Does Kulak make mistakes? Yes. Does he make them at a higher clip than the other d men in the lineup? Not close. Is he playing more minutes than he should? Also yes. He's 100% worth that contract even as a bottom pair defender.

Complaining about Kulak is nitpicking. He's not even in the top 10 of problems with this team and I couldn't imagine what the D would look like without him to be honest.

2nd pair d-men make $4M+, not $2.75M. That is a very fair going rate for a veteran, quality #5 d-man that has the ability to play more minutes if required.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
93 has better wingers than Drai has. For third line duty.

McD has Hyman the best winger on the club and often has Kane too, when healthy, at the same time.

Go through the years and Drai has junk wingers. As bad as Khaira. lol. The Hawks specifically go out searching for worst in league caliber players like Khaira as they can be relied on to be utterly useless always further to the tank.

Drai as you note has one winger that was so bad he was scratched repeatedly in the playoffs, and the other winger is useless and has been concussed 2-3 times in the last year. Yama falls down 5 times a game without even being touched. 5 more times he's being crashed into the boards because he can't even evade incoming. he shouldn't even be playing.
Janmark is barely an NHLer and Kostin is riding a heater, he'll fade soon enough.

Hyman is the best winger we have... damned with faint praise there. And of course JP....

Chickens and penguins have better wings than the Oilers do.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good comments. Didn't Leon pass to Bouchard that never got there setup the Kraken first period breakaway as well? Drai had 3 bad passes in first period.

I said the same thing. We need a vet coach to handle the club and also to keep McDrai honest. You'll note that both our experienced coaches went at Drai. McLellan with his famous "Drai only works for Drai" comment and Tippetts later "This is the type of play which is the reason we lose in playoffs"

Drai had made a somewhat commitment to playing 200ft hockey and talking Selke leadership but that appeared to evaporate the moment Tippett made the comment and Drai became angry about it post game. It also was around the time of the "why you so Pissy" Matheson barb.

I'm a huge Drai fan as anybody notes but the bloom came off the rose for me 10mths ago. Theres Drai taking an unnecessary charge at Zegras to staple the kid into the boards just because Drai is angry at something and missing the hit badly. Drai injured himself on that play and has been struggling with injuries ever since.

Drai did give the team what he could the rest of the season and playoffs with a new coach but now it seems he's not prepared to do much for this coach either. This is Drai's worst season in years despite the points. In fairness to Drai he has to be sick and tired of playing with rubbish like Yama and Foegele who are incapable of offense. For their money combined we could have obtained a top forward for Drai. The list of awful players Drai has been saddled with on his line for several years is ridiculous.
"I'm a huge Drai fan as anybody notes but the bloom came off the rose for me 10mths ago."

Welcome to the dark side!:thumbu::D Many of us have been constructively critical of him in the past, but have been blasted for it, always with the excuse that it was other people's fault. Drai is a supreme talent with incredible vision, passing and shooting abilities. What he isn't, is a horse with a motor that can run smoothly and efficiently with skating strides that require maximum effort. Unlike McDavid, and similar to most mortals, he needs regular rest in between shifts, but has shown he'd rather stay an extra 20 seconds for his shift than he should be, and in this league, that will get you eaten alive. Maybe the worst thing that could happen to him, was having an out of body experience last year, where he produced a raft of points while being barely able to move due to his wonky ankle sprain. He told himself that he could still produce and help the team with limited skating, and this seems to have carried over at times this year.
This isn't a shit on Drai post, but he really needs to start playing the game the right way, and same with McDavid to a degree. Pounding the goals and points on the PP is all very good, but if that's the only weapon we have, other than the 2-3 incredible rushes by McDavid each game, we're not going very far. And don't tell me the 5 on 5 play is solely because of their wingers, because when the 2 of them play together, they aren't exactly stellar in the 200 ft game either. Don't even even get me started though, on Bouchard and the defence, and the coaching.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
This group is honestly unique in the piss poor way they respond to any sort of adversity or how they respond to anything that normal teams respond to in general. Not just a Woodcroft problem, this dumb group has been doing this since McLelland.

Normal teams respond to timeouts and win the next few shifts. Not this team. Normal teams simplify when they are having trouble breaking out and in. Oilers like to make things more complicated. Normal teams respond with top tier efforts when they embarrass themselves. Oilers just keep doing the same thing. Normal teams make concerted efforts to correct when they develop bad habits/make mistakes. Oilers just keep doing the same thing and often it only gets worse.

There is something culturally very wrong with this team. No idea what the source is. No idea if its some form of curse. We can blame the GM and the coach all we want, and a lot of that criticism is very valid and very earned. But 95% of the roster has basically turned over twice in the past 5 years and we are on coach #4 in that same time frame. The same f***ing stupid traits still remain.

Still essentially only play loose, embarrassing hockey at home exclusively.

Still have severe issues with consistent work ethic.

Still implode every December.

Still have the same commitment to team defense as a single A pewee team.

Still can't start games worth a damn.

Still can't motivate themselves to be better.

Still can't defend a d-zone faceoff.

Four coaches. Probably around 50-60 players of a bunch of different backgrounds, reputations and stripes. Same f***ing result. At this point I'm not sure if there is any true solution here, they perform the same no matter what. The only hope we'll ever have to win anything is if they catch lightning in a bottle at just the right time. This group of pissant morons will never at any point be a normal team that plays an 82 game season in a coherent manner. It will always be a circus and that is honestly infuriating.
The culture problem on this team stems from there being no accountability to the top end players. It has been this way since the Oilers drafted Hall. Hall/Eberle/Nuge/McDavid/Draisaitl all can do whatever they want without consequence. lay up a pizza on the power play, opponent goes down and scores. No problem stay out there and then go right back out after. Unable to backcheck due to staying on too long in the offensive zone. Its ok no worries, you will get them next time. Then on the other hand, Ryan, Yamamoto, Pulijarvi (just about anyone) does the exact same thing, and they get stapled to the bench. I get that McDavid and Drai should have some leeway, as without them the Oilers are in serious trouble,
McDavid has 73 points and is +4
Leon has 55 points and is +3
Tage Thompson has 55 points and is +14

On the Saturday Panel, they highlighted JT Miller not backchecking and a bad change going slowly to the bench. Bieska said I can't even defend that. Honestly that has got to be how the bottom 6 on this Oilers team feel.

I have never played any sports at an elite level such as the NHL, but I can tell you I have always played better and been more engaged when I am getting regular/consistent shifts then when I am sitting on the sidelines for long stretches at a time. The Oilers bottom 6 barely play any minutes and then when they do, they likely play scared as if they make a mistake they will be playing even less. Except JP cause for some reason, he is stapled on the top line.

When McDavid and Draisaitl start playing 18-22 minutes per game and playing at both ends of the ice, backchecking as hard as they do when they have the have the puck on their stick or want the puck on their stick. That is when this team will be a contender.

The Oilers bottoms 6 is not great, but I feel if they were not playing afraid and getting regular consistent minutes, they would be more productive. There are definitely holes, but I think the culture and Ice time is a major factor. Oilers down by a couple goals 10 minutes left= Leon and conner playing about 7-8 of those 10 minutes. Everyone on that team knows it. Even if Ryan is having the game of his life, he likely won't see the ice in that situation.
Exactly this... except he never will be.

I watched Broberg chase his man TO THE BLUELINE after a defensive draw TWICE, only to see guys in front of our net when the shot came from the point.... and they scored on one. Who could see this coming?

I didn't play D at a high level, so I have no idea if that's a thing, but I would LOSE MY $#!+ if any of my defenders ever did that.

Anybody play D? Is this something that you would ever do depending on the system? Am I absolutely crazy or is that such a HUGE lack of defensive IQ that he'll never be properly taught? I just don't see how that can happen at the NHL level (oh wait, Nurse did it 3 mins later).

I'm thinking he's Nurse 2.0 in terms of puck chasing, but without any of the redeeming physicality.

He should be on the plane to Phoenix with whatever else it takes TODAY.
I had stuff to get done last night, so I only had the game going on in the background and wasn't watching intently. So, I did not notice the play in question here. However, there are times when the defenseman should stay on his man even up to the blue line if he has the puck. Typically, this is in a man-on-man type system. When Bouchard follows his man up top, someone else should be covering that lone man in front of the net.

You actually see this happen a fair bit when teams are trying to contain McDavid. If the defenseman just lets him go and circle around by the blue line and cut to the middle across the blue line, McDavid will have too much time and space to make a play before the forward picks him up. Or if the D and the winger try to switch, it likely leaves someone open while the defenseman tries to get to him, not to mention that winger is probably flat footed already at the top of the circle and McD is going to burn him if they switch. So, when that is the coverage/system teammates should rotate the winger on the side he is up needs to drop down and add coverage down low, with the other D and the Center. That said I am not really sure what Woody's system is so no idea if Bouch was doing the right thing or not.

Reactions: SupremeTeam16

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"I'm a huge Drai fan as anybody notes but the bloom came off the rose for me 10mths ago."

Welcome to the dark side!:thumbu::D Many of us have been constructively critical of him in the past, but have been blasted for it, always with the excuse that it was other people's fault. Drai is a supreme talent with incredible vision, passing and shooting abilities. What he isn't, is a horse with a motor that can run smoothly and efficiently with skating strides that require maximum effort. Unlike McDavid, and similar to most mortals, he needs regular rest in between shifts, but has shown he'd rather stay an extra 20 seconds for his shift than he should be, and in this league, that will get you eaten alive. Maybe the worst thing that could happen to him, was having an out of body experience last year, where he produced a raft of points while being barely able to move due to his wonky ankle sprain. He told himself that he could still produce and help the team with limited skating, and this seems to have carried over at times this year.
This isn't a shit on Drai post, but he really needs to start playing the game the right way, and same with McDavid to a degree. Pounding the goals and points on the PP is all very good, but if that's the only weapon we have, other than the 2-3 incredible rushes by McDavid each game, we're not going very far. Don't even even get me started though, on Bouchard and the defence, and the coaching.
Yep. I've been highly critical of Drai this season. The thing I didn't mention that turned the tide was when he started to punk players with the infamous nutsack stick jobs. Something he's done at least 5 times now and some other dirty plays. What I said is he needs to cut the crap out because players take notes and make dirty plays on him. Even Lindholm running him into the players gate recently.

Drai doesn't fight, and can't, and yet he's taken licence to be a dirtier player, and its foolhardy for him to be doing this. He's also received nutshots since he was giving them out. I don't defend play like that, and it conveys blatant disrespect for opponents. Drai also got into a habit of sticking opponents with a highstick after scoring a goal. Its an aspect of his persona forming in last year that I haven't liked at all.

Mess played dirty but he could fight. You give more licence for that kind of thing to a player that can look after themselves. Drai figures he can do that. One day he's going to be very wrong and somebody is pounding him.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The thing is they're really not getting scored on trying to make home run scoring plays.

They're getting scored on because the defence can't cover a wet paper bag.

Broberg/Bouchard can't defend for shit covering air last night while Seattle takes the lead.

Nurse has stretches where he's OK but then has stretches where he plays like a bad no.4 D, he is a horrible so-called "leader" of any d-corps.

Ceci is overrated, this guy was a no.5 D in Pittsburgh for a reason, the Oilers have him playing way over his head a no.2.

Kulak is alright for stretches, but he's also a no.5 D that can be exposed and he was bad last night.

Barrie has terrible foot speed and can be boxed out by an 10 year old, he's obviously here mainly to be the D guy on the PP.

Leon is probably playing with a core muscle strain and shouldn't even be in the lineup, so I'm not going to lay this all at his feet.

I definitely believe we could stand to upgrade personnel but I’m a firm believer in systems make players and that strong systems when executed properly by an accountable group elevates players level, likewise bad systems can diminish good players.

My view is always extracting the most out of something, creating a situation where a group is better than the sum of its parts. We’ve seen worse rosters and worst blue lines have more success defending than this group and it’s by design.

When I ran businesses that required staff I never wasted my time trying to attract “top talent” it was often expensive and time consuming trying to attract these types and many times they were difficult to work with. I always focused my time and energy on my systems and processes, constantly finding ways to improve, make things easier, less complicated, more efficient and supportive. That way I could hire “lesser” people, put them in positions to succeed and grow their value to my business beyond what I paid them. A by product of having a system that can support less qualified people is often times they recognize the situation and are grateful and they become more accountable, they work harder, they are more loyal to a point. Eventually some people would feel they’ve increased their value in the job market and their aspirations would no longer line up with my companies needs and they would leave but that was the beauty of having a strong system, I could quickly and easily hire the next dummy off the street and start the process over again, with a little time and coaching there was almost no difference between outgoing and incoming employees and the machine kept running with minimal extra input from myself. I spent my efforts on the systems I implemented and refined rather than looking for and paying for the best people and it paid off in being able to move employees in and out without sacrificing quality.

This is obviously going to be a difference of philosophy between you and I but my philosophy is always get the most out of what you got before you waste on things you may not need or may not work as well in your business as they did somewhere else.

When I look at our group, even though it is flawed and could be upgraded, we’re not getting the most out of what we got so the focus should be on that before bringing in other expensive pieces that you likely won’t get the most out of either.

Reactions: K1984

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I definitely believe we could stand to upgrade personnel but I’m a firm believer in systems make players and that strong systems when executed properly by an accountable group elevates players level, likewise bad systems can diminish good players.

My view is always extracting the most out of something, creating a situation where a group is better than the sum of its parts. We’ve seen worse rosters and worst blue lines have more success defending than this group and it’s by design.

When I ran businesses that required staff I never wasted my time trying to attract “top talent” it was often expensive and time consuming trying to attract these types and many times they were difficult to work with. I always focused my time and energy on my systems and processes, constantly finding ways to improve, make things easier, less complicated, more efficient and supportive. That way I could hire “lesser” people, put them in positions to succeed and grow their value to my business beyond what I paid them. A by product of having a system that can support less qualified people is often times they recognize the situation and are grateful and they become more accountable, they work harder, they are more loyal to a point. Eventually some people would feel they’ve increased their value in the job market and their aspirations would no longer line up with my companies needs and they would leave but that was the beauty of having a strong system, I could quickly and easily hire the next dummy off the street and start the process over again, with a little time and coaching there was almost no difference between outgoing and incoming employees and the machine kept running with minimal extra input from myself. I spent my efforts on the systems I implemented and refined rather than looking for and paying for the best people and it paid off in being able to move employees in and out without sacrificing quality.

This is obviously going to be a difference of philosophy between you and I but my philosophy is always get the most out of what you got before you waste on things you may not need or may not work as well in your business as they did somewhere else.

When I look at our group, even though it is flawed and could be upgraded, we’re not getting the most out of what we got so the focus should be on that before bringing in other expensive pieces that you likely won’t get the most out of either.

There's only like 5 coaches in the league (world?) that can do the whole "give me some OK players and I'll squeeze every drop out of them with my system" type of thing.

Torts, Sutter, maybe Babcock, maybe Trotz, maybe Brindamour.

Even like Brindamour said "f*** this" with Bear and press boxed him, lol, the Oilers were playing this player on their top pairing.

Cody Ceci plays top pair in Edmonton, bottom pair in Pittsburgh and Toronto ... tells you a lot.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
I thought losing to Eakins and some ECHL goalie was bad. But the Oilers said hang on, lets lose to Bad Bruce and tantrum boy. But wait, we're not done yet, lets blow yet another lead and lose to Hakstol and freakin Martin Jones. You can't make this stuff up. Team has no heart, and serious leadership issues, both at the coaching and player level. We have poor ownership, poor upper management (no idea what Bob and Co actually do), poor GM, poor coaching and far too many poor players. Not a good recipe for success. But at least the animated board ads are the big draw that keep me coming back each
Serious question: Is Daryl Katz actually still alive?
Saw him at yoga the other day

Reactions: brentashton

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yep. I've been highly critical of Drai this season. The thing I didn't mention that turned the tide was when he started to punk players with the infamous nutsack stick jobs. Something he's done at least 5 times now and some other dirty plays. What I said is he needs to cut the crap out because players take notes and make dirty plays on him. Even Lindholm running him into the players gate recently.

Drai doesn't fight, and can't, and yet he's taken licence to be a dirtier player, and its foolhardy for him to be doing this. He's also received nutshots since he was giving them out. I don't defend play like that, and it conveys blatant disrespect for opponents. Drai also got into a habit of sticking opponents with a highstick after scoring a goal. Its an aspect of his persona forming in last year that I haven't liked at all.

Mess played dirty but he could fight. You give more licence for that kind of thing to a player that can look after themselves. Drai figures he can do that. One day he's going to be very wrong and somebody is pounding him.
To be fair, Sid the Kid took a lot of grief earlier in his career, and started to fight back and even had some dirty plays of his own,, and eventually got some room, and he's no fighter either. But the Pens also had some guys on their team and a persona that helped look after the real dirty shit that was happening out there.

Saying that, I too, hate the prima donna and lashing out shit after scoring a goal.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Until the team commits to plays defense its not going anywhere. This obviously includes the forwards. Starts from the top to the bottom. The top 6 forwards arent doing their job defensively nor are the bottom 6 forwards.

The defense in particular has been pretty atrocious this year. I'd say the only guys living upto the expectations are Barrie and Nemo. This team really needed Bouchard and Broberg to take steps in order to elevate. Bouchard in particular, has fell off a cliff. Broberg is just there. Ceci was so reliable last year, he made very few mistakes. Hes inconsistent this year. Kulak is a mixed bag. Sometimes good and sometimes bad. Nurse is usually good but is prone for 2-3 brain lapses per game.

Team is just a mess.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I really don’t know what’s wrong with this organization. But the GM and coach carousel doesn’t seem to ever improve things. It’s been 12-15 years now.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I really don’t know what’s wrong with this organization. But the GM and coach carousel doesn’t seem to ever improve things. It’s been 12-15 years now.

what a coincidence

545384780.jpg.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stop buying this team's draft kool-aid, it's bullshit flavored. This team can't draft for shit and the auto default of "well we picked this player in the 1st round so they must be good" doesn't apply here.
Yeah, like I, who havnt attended a game or bought a jersey in a dozen yrs is "buying this teams koolaid" FFS I haven't been buying up anything this org serves up since the Souray fiasco or how they treated Smyth or or or ..

I'm the anticonsumer. I don't buy much and I don't buy crap I don't need.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
what a coincidence

545384780.jpg.jpg
Anybody thats trying to look like toasted old Bono deserves what they get.

But the rest of us probably don't deserve this.

Cripes with this crap home ice performance the Oilers should still be playing in Closed Rexall. But the Katz agreement prevents that too. It could be good, pretend its the another "road" arena.

Reactions: Oilhawks

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
When McDavid and Draisaitl start playing 18-22 minutes per game and playing at both ends of the ice, backchecking as hard as they do when they have the have the puck on their stick or want the puck on their stick. That is when this team will be a contender.

Pounding the goals and points on the PP is all very good, but if that's the only weapon we have, other than the 2-3 incredible rushes by McDavid each game, we're not going very far. And don't tell me the 5 on 5 play is solely because of their wingers, because when the 2 of them play together, they aren't exactly stellar in the 200 ft game either

A lot of good posts and honesty on this last page. These two quotes truly tell the tale of a sad sack of a team.
Need leadership. Need 200 foot games from the leaders or guess what...you don't win!

Everyone here knows I'm not a Drai fan. I've toned it way down. Its not that I dislike him. Its not that I dont see his unbelievable talent. Its that I cant turn the other cheek to his flybys and his giveaways. McDavid is guilty as well to a lesser extent, but still guilty. When these guys play the right way, Nurse included, we will win more than we lose even with the roster we have and Kane hurt. Until then, we are a .450 team that frustrates the piss out of all of us that care about them.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad