Post-Game Talk: Oilers one of the best powerplays EVER!?

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
The 70's and 80's were the golden days of power plays. It was not unusual to have multiple teams clicking at rates that would be unheard of today. Tampa Bay was tops in power play % last season @ 28.2% and no team in the last 2 decades (before 2013)had exceeded 26%.
The New York Islanders became the first team to convert on more than 30% of its power plays when they led the league with a 31.7 percent success rate in 75-76. But that mark was topped two seasons later when The Canadians turned 31.9 % of their PP's into goals- edgeing the Islanders, who converted at a 31.3% rate.
The Isles had a 31.2% rate in 78/79 , after that,no team had exceeded 30 until 2013.
The Oilers have been around 30% all year, and are at 29.9% currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samus44

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
As the OP states, it is running at a level of efficiency that is almost unheard of.

Logic dictates that adding your variables would only lessen the effectiveness.

Logic would.

You can also logically analyze something and come to the wrong conclusion.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I bet Yamo sticks on the PP. He is a better one time option that Chaisson.
I agree, but I think he'd need to take nuges spot not Chiassons, otherwise we have no net front presence.

I would try something like this when mcdavid is back

Unit 1:
Yam Neal Mcdavid
Bear Drai

Unit 2:
Nuge Chiasson Mcdavid
Klef Drai

First unit has a one timer option as well as a net front presence and a big shot from the point who can also one time it from mcdavid or drai.

second unit is basically what we run now.

Assuming Drai and Mcdavid could both do the full 2 mins that is.

Reactions: 29292929

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I agree, but I think he'd need to take nuges spot not Chiassons, otherwise we have no net front presence.

Unit 1:
Yam Neal Mcdavid
Bear Drai

Unit 2:
Nuge Chiasson Mcdavid
Klef Drai

First unit has a one timer option as well as a net front presence and a big shot from the point who can also one time it from mcdavid or drai.

I like these lines. Personally I would try just replacing Yamo with Chaisson. You could fill the front of the net with a guy rotating more. You don't need one guy stuck there.

Reactions: 3IR

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
The 70's and 80's were the golden days of power plays. It was not unusual to have multiple teams clicking at rates that would be unheard of today. Nashville was tops in power play % last season @ 21.9% and no team in the last 2 decades has exceeded 26%.
The New York Islanders became the first team to convert on more than 30% of its power plays when they led the league with a 31.7 percent success rate in 75-76. But that mark was topped two seasons later when The Canadians turned 31.9 % of their PP's into goals- edgeing the Islanders, who converted at a 31.3% rate.
The Isles had a 31.2% rate in 78/79 , no team has exceeded 30 since then.
The Oilers have been around 30% all year, and are at 29.9% currently.

VyLwNw.gif

Joking aside, that is pretty impressive nonetheless.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Glen, and ya, I agree. On that SHG last night, they showed Gully going up to Yamamoto and letting him know it wasn't his fault. That was awesome.

Yes...thanks....I have no idea why I typed Greg. :dunno:

Great to see that kind of support on the bench. :nod:
Its funny because I was pretty lukewarm about him returning but man was I ever off base on that.

This entire coaching staff is solid.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Our special teams are the only reason we are in the mix this year. Our penalty kill murdered us last year and our 5v5 isn't good enough to compensate. The opposite is true this year. Still makes me concerned for if/when playoff hockey comes how the team will manage in tighter games.

Reactions: McDavidMasterRace

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As the OP states, it is running at a level of efficiency that is almost unheard of.

Logic dictates that adding your variables would only lessen the effectiveness.

Yeah but that pesky logic is getting in the way of how infatuated some people are with Ethan Bear so lets just forget about it, shall we?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Unit 1:
Yam Neal Mcdavid
Bear Drai

Unit 2:
Nuge Chiasson Mcdavid
Klef Drai

I think part of the success of this Power Play is the fluidity to it and the fact that the main players have had so many minutes together they simply know how to read each other effectively to limit the accidental clears and outmanning the oppositi

Yeah, they have a net front, but otherwise people aren't in typical positions, and they even have two different styles of net front player they use in Chiasson vs. Neal.

The power play right now has about a dozen different shooting points that the players try to work depending on coverages and every player out there is a threat to shoot, while they also have three guys that are very effective at distributing the puck.

It's extremely unpredictable for a penalty kill to scheme against. Most other options for lineups I hear out there likely build more traditional looks which teams eventually figure out or at least limit. At some point, teams may figure out the current configuration, but until then don't mess with it, unless its for a one off here and there to start developing future options.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think part of the success of this Power Play is the fluidity to it and the fact that the main players have had so many minutes together they simply know how to read each other effectively to limit the accidental clears and outmanning the oppositi

Yeah, they have a net front, but otherwise people aren't in typical positions, and they even have two different styles of net front player they use in Chiasson vs. Neal.

The power play right now has about a dozen different shooting points that the players try to work depending on coverages and every player out there is a threat to shoot, while they also have three guys that are very effective at distributing the puck.

It's extremely unpredictable for a penalty kill to scheme against. Most other options for lineups I hear out there likely build more traditional looks which teams eventually figure out or at least limit. At some point, teams may figure out the current configuration, but until then don't mess with it, unless its for a one off here and there to start developing future options.

I'm not suggesting splitting up the top players though.

Connor and Leon are the straw that stirs the drink, anyone else is support. Before this recent hot streak, Nuge barely saw 5v5 time with Mcdavid and Drai, so citing their familiarity with eachother off the PP as a reason to keep them together doesn't make much sense, especially when replacing Nuge or Klef on the PP with a shooter gives us a whole new dimension on the PP.

We don't have a dozen different shooting points by my eye, we have 4 plays we make. Mcdavid across to drai for a one timer, Mcdavid or Drai to nuge for a tap in on the other side on his forehand, Mcdavid or Drai to the netfront guy for either a scramble, deflection, or jam play, or a pass back to klef in hopes that he gets it on net.

Adding a one time option to the side opposite of Mcdavid and Drai seems like a no brainer, whether that be Bear or Yamo. Adding a Dman who can get a shot through also seems like a no brainer when you consider how little the opposition has to respect our point shot. Right now the opposing PKers spend a ton of time down low blocking passing lanes of Drai and Mcdavid, while trying to suffocate whichever one has the puck. It's obviously working because our PP is good, but making them actually respect the point shot means more time for McDrai to work their magic down low, and creating the scrambles in front that other PPs usually capitalize on.
We have one of the prettiest pps in the league in terms of goals scored imo. Rarely do we see a goalmouth scramble with us jamming it home from a low point shot, or a deflection in front. It's usually a wide open shot for the cross ice guy, or a well placed shot either into the net or bounced off the guy in front by one of our superstars.

I think even if you replace Klef with a RH dman, you'll see the PP become even stronger. Nothing against Klef, but he isn't getting a lot of shots through, and anything he does accomplish on the PP as far as puck movement goes seems easily replaceable by someone like Bear, who brings many more offensive tools to the unit.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Glen Gulutzan deserves a lot of credit here. :nod:

He deserves credit for sure ... because if the PP was bad ... we would be blaming him, so we have to give him credit when it is working.

I personally give the players more credit though. Theres some things that dont make much sense from a tactical point of view on the PP. The players still make it work.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Logic would.

You can also logically analyze something and come to the wrong conclusion.

Sure it's possible that these things would improve it but i'd argue it wouldn't or would do so very little based on how it operates. The big 3 support the puck with a lot of movement and all handle the puck exceptionally well when pressured/pressuring leading to calm control and breakdowns. Add in the fact all can shoot and pass at an elite level on the PP and teams struggle to defend all the passing lanes their movement creates if they take away the shot. Nuge was an elite PP player from the day he stepped foot on NHL ice and he's the clear 3rd wheel. They could still be great with 2 of the 3 but i feel they'd have a hard time finding a guy who's shot is more valuable than Nuge's ability to pressure the box and support the play, and the numbers suggest as much. All 3 can play the bumper and the left and right walls, that flexibility means a lot. Klefbom keeps it simple and lets the big 3 do the work as the continuity of being a unit for two years has created something special.

Reactions: bone

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm not suggesting splitting up the top players though.

Connor and Leon are the straw that stirs the drink, anyone else is support. Before this recent hot streak, Nuge barely saw 5v5 time with Mcdavid and Drai, so citing their familiarity with eachother off the PP as a reason to keep them together doesn't make much sense, especially when replacing Nuge or Klef on the PP with a shooter gives us a whole new dimension on the PP.

We don't have a dozen different shooting points by my eye, we have 4 plays we make. Mcdavid across to drai for a one timer, Mcdavid or Drai to nuge for a tap in on the other side on his forehand, Mcdavid or Drai to the netfront guy for either a scramble, deflection, or jam play, or a pass back to klef in hopes that he gets it on net.

Adding a one time option to the side opposite of Mcdavid and Drai seems like a no brainer, whether that be Bear or Yamo. Adding a Dman who can get a shot through also seems like a no brainer when you consider how little the opposition has to respect our point shot. Right now the opposing PKers spend a ton of time down low blocking passing lanes of Drai and Mcdavid, while trying to suffocate whichever one has the puck. It's obviously working because our PP is good, but making them actually respect the point shot means more time for McDrai to work their magic down low, and creating the scrambles in front that other PPs usually capitalize on.
We have one of the prettiest pps in the league in terms of goals scored imo. Rarely do we see a goalmouth scramble with us jamming it home from a low point shot, or a deflection in front. It's usually a wide open shot for the cross ice guy, or a well placed shot either into the net or bounced off the guy in front by one of our superstars.

I think even if you replace Klef with a RH dman, you'll see the PP become even stronger. Nothing against Klef, but he isn't getting a lot of shots through, and anything he does accomplish on the PP as far as puck movement goes seems easily replaceable by someone like Bear, who brings many more offensive tools to the unit.

Fair enough. I also find they use their feet to change angles when teams tighten up too much and when they do and take a shot it creates a lot of chaos.

I agree I'd like to see an occasional push to get a RH dman in there on occasion to give a bit different of a look, especially once Bouchard is ready. For now I like how Klefbom seems to read the movement well to keep the play alive when the forwards do get in trouble with more agressive penalty kills and need to reset, but it would be better if he could get some harder shots off from time to time. .

As for RNH, I think he's complementing the rest too well as an extra option from everywhere whereas a Right shot one-timer likely sets up shop at the top of the circle and isn't as much an option for everything else that Nuge brings. Now if there was a player that distributed the puck like Nuge with a right shot to give that extra look on occasion, that'd be golden. Maybe one day that's Yamamoto, but don't think that day happens this year.

___
I think Eskimo44 just above this post articulated what I was trying to say a bit better.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He deserves credit for sure ... because if the PP was bad ... we would be blaming him, so we have to give him credit when it is working.

I personally give the players more credit though. Theres some things that dont make much sense from a tactical point of view on the PP. The players still make it work.

See I disagree..its the system that makes the PP work IMO.
The player are being utilized effectively.

Of course they have to execute and without that execution nothing works.
So I guess you could say that the players are obviously critical.

So ultimately we agree? :huh: ;)

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's difficult to stop an Oilers PP that reliably enters the zone & can beat you cross seam to three different players (RNH, Drai, McDavid), can walk off the wall and beat you straight up, can funnel the puck to the net for Neal or Chiasson, can actually somehow attack you on the rush.

In previous years, when it's been good, it's still been one dimensional. Drai one-timer last year, Letestu cross-seam in 16-17, etc. This year there's like 5 lanes of attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad