Post-Game Talk: Oilers one of the best powerplays EVER!?

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Check out some of the powerplays here. This is the RH player we have with his wicked shot.

That doesn’t sem to be an option.

I always wondered why we never saw JP set up to shoot one timers from the hash marks opposite of mcdrai on the pp though. Communication issues I guess, but I’m sure I wasn’t alone in thinking regardless of how he developed, he’d be a huge pp weapon from that spot.

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
hmmm i just double checked you are right LaGu,sorry must have been old info from NHL.COM

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
As I said, it does not really change the point of you post, but what am I missing here when it comes to the numbers?

You're right. Nashville had the WORST PP last year (12.9%), and from 2000-2019 there were four teams that exceeded 26%.

A couple things about PP%:
-The league wide PP% shot up when they started letting teams begin the PP in the offensive zone
-However, even beyond that, PP% went up even more in the last few years. This follows the recent uptick in offense, possibly due to a change in goalie equipment rules (if that is a real thing). I also credit the "drop pass PP zone entry" that has been a very effective innovation in letting PPs get set up

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
hmmm i just double checked you are right LaGu,sorry must have been old info from NHL.COM
Just edit your post quick and no one will notice!

I mean the point is still the same, a bit closer but we are riding the best PP% since the 70ies, that is pretty cool!

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That’s a terrifying thought.

Bouchard (RHD) will replace Klefbom up top eventually and he has a hell of a shot, and Yammo will replace one of Neal or Chiasson.

That PP is going to go supernova when this happens as long as someone becomes a net front presence. Yammo is one of the best puck retriever I have seen in a long time.

Reactions: tardigrade81

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
Just edit your post quick and no one will notice!

I mean the point is still the same, a bit closer but we are riding the best PP% since the 70ies, that is pretty cool!
Thank-You for pointing out the flaw in what i wrote LaGu, i fixed it should be more accurate now.
Have a good one bro

Reactions: LaGu

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Bouchard (RHD) will replace Klefbom up top eventually and he has a hell of a shot, and Yammo will replace one of Neal or Chiasson.

That PP is going to go supernova when this happens as long as someone becomes a net front presence. Yammo is one of the best puck retriever I have seen in a long time.
Where does Broberg fit in come the future?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Check out some of the powerplays here. This is the RH player we have with his wicked shot.

18 G on 323 Shots is still a pretty poor shooting percentage (5.6%). Though I know they report shots a bit different so it'd be a bit higher by our measures.

No doubt sometimes his shot looks leathal, but not often enough.

Note, he's leading the league in shots by about 60 shots, but has the lowest shooting percentage of anyone with more than 9 goals.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
18 G on 323 Shots is still a pretty poor shooting percentage (5.6%). Though I know they report shots a bit different so it'd be a bit higher by our measures.

No doubt sometimes his shot looks leathal, but not often enough.

Note, he's leading the league in shots by about 60 shots, but has the lowest shooting percentage of anyone with more than 9 goals.
If he unloads 20 shots a game and score one, i have no problems with that.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If he unloads 20 shots a game and score one, i have no problems with that.

If he's taking 20 shots and only scoring 1, odds are guys with better shooting percentages aren't getting the shots off that could have provided two goals.

My comments are not as a Puljujarvi hater, just trying to give context to his season. I'm happy he's finding success, but I don't see what he has accomplished this year as something that pushes his potential up to that of an elite shooter. I like the volume shooting, but when you are shooting that much, I'm hoping more of them go in or at least create the rebound that eventually goes in. Perhaps his assists are an indicator of that as I don't see him as a skilled playmaker, so here's hoping.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
If he's taking 20 shots and only scoring 1, odds are guys with better shooting percentages aren't getting the shots off that could have provided two goals.

My comments are not as a Puljujarvi hater, just trying to give context to his season. I'm happy he's finding success, but I don't see what he has accomplished this year as something that pushes his potential up to that of an elite shooter. I like the volume shooting, but when you are shooting that much, I'm hoping more of them go in or at least create the rebound that eventually goes in. Perhaps his assists are an indicator of that as I don't see him as a skilled playmaker, so here's hoping.
They count missed shots in liiga.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So I know the power play is impressive, but the other side of special teams is nothing to stick your nose up at either.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They count missed shots in liiga.

I thought so. If his totals are this high due to misses though, that's even worse. At least on net theres a chance at a rebound. Especially on a PP. Missed shots on the PP often lead to zone clears. Like OfCorsiDid says he's gone so move on, and I'm actually less convinced we'll miss him after this season than I was before. But hopefully this moderate success convinces someone to take a gamble on him while giving up something of value.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
He’s a dead ringer for his countryman Olli Jokinen. Even a similar awkward way about him. Could see a similar career trajectory if put in the right situation. I believe it was Keenan that got Olli turned around quickly at about the same age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->