Oilers next move?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why? Unless Chiarelli has another move lined up, what is the purpose of moving one of them out? I'd rather have one of those two as the #7 in and out of the lineup than Reinhart or Nurse in that spot.

Brandon Davidson or the one left of Ference/Nikitin can be the #7.

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Reinhart/Nurse-Gryba
Ference/Nikitin/Davidson.

I repeat - one of Ference/Nikitin has gotta go.

To anyone: Nikitin
To Edmonton Futures? 7th? Junk prospect?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Ference stays for one more year, rotating the 6/7 spot with Davidson. He then gets traded or bought out next off season and Mcdavid will be the new captain.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

That's actually a valid point.

Right this moment we don't NEED to move out a defensemen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Reinhart and Nurse can start in the AHL if need be. We've got more than enough cap space to keep everyone as is if there are no more moves coming.

Now... there might be such a thing as too many bad defensemen. And we might be in that situation right now.

Ference-Gryba is a terrible pairing. Both guys can't move the puck.

Pay Nikitin 4.5M to sit in the press box? and Davidson will have to clear waivers.

At the very least Nikitin should be gone. I want Ference gone, but that seems unrealistic

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse/Reinhart-Gryba
Davidson

would be ideal

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Purcell would have to go and I'm not sure that's a realistic possibility.

dump Purcell on maybe a cap floor team or someone who sees some value in him

sign Ward or Santorelli

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1: Contact aliens and convince them to abduct Andrew Ference.
2: Get Nikitin drunk enough to get a facelift to make him look exactly like Weber. Trade Nikitin for 2 1st rounders and don't retain any salary.
3: Take a video of Scriven's 50+ save performance and show it to all of the other managers and pro scouts in fast motion while convincing them that the video is being shown in real time. Trade Scrivens to San Jose for Jones.
4: Pay Franson's agent 10 million dollars to brainwash Franson into signing 5 year deal with Edmonton with a 3 million dollar cap hit.
5: Tie Teddy Purcell up and show him constant footage of his uninspiring play until he breaks into tears and announces his retirement.
6: Sign ward for 4M.
7: Put Scrivens on waivers.

Pouliot-Hopkins-Eberle
Hall-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Ward - Lander - Korpikoski
Hendricks-Letestnu-Klink
Pitlick-Gazdic

Sekera-Franson
Klefbom- Fayne
Reinhart-Schultz
That bum from Ottawa.

Talbot (47 starts)
Jones (35 starts)

We've got a 50/50 chance to squeak into the playoffs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think Ference stays for one more year, rotating the 6/7 spot with Davidson. He then gets traded or bought out next off season and Mcdavid will be the new captain.

No way Davidson plays.

Sekera, Fayne, Klefbom, Schultz, Reinhart, Nurse, that bum from Ottawa and Ference all have to be above him on the depth chart.

That's 8 d-men there.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
I'd like to see Joel Ward in Edmonton.

Purcell would have to go and I'm not sure that's a realistic possibility.

Ward is a load at 6' 1" 225, but he's 34. if we offered 3 or 4 years to the guy, it would be too big of a gamble, IMO, because of his age. and despite his continued production, you don't know when the wheels will fall off due to age. i'd rather they sign Glencross instead, and he's a few years younger at 32, and can still produce points himself as well as play with an edge.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
The biggest thing about all this today is the huge amount of negativity despite the fact this team has had huge changes in TWO MONTHS when all of us thought we would never see half of in our lifetimes. They may not be the names we want, but then, these same negative "fans" seem to think that all it takes is to go down Jasper and buy magic fairy wands to give them what they want.
I don't care what anyone else says, everything we as fans have been saying needed to be changed has been at least addressed, from management to positions on the team. Now it's cleanup time, which is what I think will happen, by trying to get rid of the deadwood.
Watching Chia's presser, everything he said made perfect sense, he took a gamble on a couple players from a informed basis (especially Reinhart, but that could pay off big time as well) filled the holes the best he could with what was available, and now is looking at still improving various spots if something becomes available.

But...

I think he's going to pull the trigger on a big trade. He looked like a man that knows his job is not done, he is very patient (I mean, out waiting and getting a better deal from Slats is a hell of a accomplishment) and he will not hesitate to trade what ever it takes to complete his vision. This is a completely different team now, and he knows this entire division is a death zone.
If a top pair defense man becomes available that he can fit into the cap space, and their price is a major young piece, he will do it. he will continue to upgrade every position if he can, Goaltender especially.

At the very least, no one can't say it hasn't been entertaining to watch the last 2 months. Just thinking about all the changes made since the lottery pick is mind blowing that a team can turn it around like this.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why? Unless Chiarelli has another move lined up, what is the purpose of moving one of them out? I'd rather have one of those two as the #7 in and out of the lineup than Reinhart or Nurse in that spot.

$7.75 Million for two guys to share the #7 D spot?

Gotta be better ways to manage the cap than that.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

But that's not 7 D it's 8 something has to happen

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
$7.75 Million for two guys to share the #7 D spot?

Gotta be better ways to manage the cap than that.

Add in Purcell and that's $12.25 million in wasted cap space. Yet some were saying that MacT > Chia a few days ago :shakehead

4th_Liner

Oct 2, 2005
what about bickell/versteeg/sharp from chicago.

wouldn't mind seeing singletons or combinations of shultz/pouliot/purcell for these guys.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Make a move for Shattenkirk with Draisaitl and Schultz as principles.

Lots of leadership skills to go along with his solid offensive and defensive output.

Though the Oshie deal may have saved the Blues the cap space they'll need to keep their top 3 D.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

wouldn't mind seeing singletons or combinations of shultz/pouliot/purcell for these guys.

Pouliot? Why would you want to trade him for any of those guys?

He's our best forchecker, biggest guy in the top 6, a great fit with Eberle and RNH and would have scored 25 goals last season if not for getting hurt blocking shots. None of those players solves Chicago's cap issues either. They'll want young players like Klefbom or Reinhart or picks

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Bickell and Versteeg were completely invisible all playoffs, and regular season too. I'd take one of them if there was some money going back, just for some added SC experience... probably Versteeg. Bickell is just waaay to inconsistent for the money he makes. Sharp is on a heavy decline and isn't worth the money he makes plain and simple.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am still hoping to sign one of Franson or Ehrhoff to a reasonable contract. Other teams manage to figure out ways to dump unwanted contracts.

+ Franson/Ehrhoff
- Nikitin/Purcell

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Try to clear out salary in Nikitin, Purcell, Ference and then make a trade for Seabrook, Buff or Burns. In that order.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Make a move for Shattenkirk with Draisaitl and Schultz as principles.

Lots of leadership skills to go along with his solid offensive and defensive output.

Though the Oshie deal may have saved the Blues the cap space they'll need to keep their top 3 D.

Does Yak and 2016 1st get you in the game for a solid top 2 DMan? Criteria is under 27, manageable contract and term, and plays with some edge AND offense. Who fits the bill??? I think Shatty is off the market with that solid Oshie trade.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I'd like to see a replacement for Bachman come in. Talbot's unproven and Scrivens is scary. If Cam gets off to a shaky start and then Scrivens can't come in and stabilize things, that could be another season that's effed by Remembrance Day.

I want Scrivens to be able to turn things around and prove his last season was more about Eakins and shellshock than a reflection of his ability as an NHL goalie, but this team can't go with 2 unproven guys when so much hinges on the position and we've had so much trouble in the past.

I don't know who that would be now though. Ellis? Man...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad