Oilers next move?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hopefully hitting MacTavish with a newspaper for the Ference and Nikitin contracts.

Probably flipping Purcell with some retained salary for somebody with less offense but more of a desire to back check and hit things.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Chia probably trying to trick someone into taking Nikitin or Ference right now. I also think he's looking to dump Scrivens.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No such thing...

That's actually a valid point.

Right this moment we don't NEED to move out a defensemen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Reinhart and Nurse can start in the AHL if need be. We've got more than enough cap space to keep everyone as is if there are no more moves coming.

Now... there might be such a thing as too many bad defensemen. And we might be in that situation right now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am not sure we do anything anymore.

Ferrence and Nikita can take turns on the bench and cover for injuries.

We basically have the same team we had at the start of last year but with the addition of McDavid and MeLellan. We know Eakins was a disaster so the coaching upgrade improves us as does our players getting more experienced.

Cherelli may just want to see what we have before making any more moves. Next years potential defensive FA should be better as well depending who signs.

We are still not a playoff team but with good systems and coaching we should improve a lot plus we have guys like Leon, Nurse, and Griffin all waiting in the wings developing... Plus guys like Slepy, Yakimov, and Kharia.

Got to be very careful moving forward with the cap and so many higly touted prospects knocking on the door.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Sign McDavid.

Look for a team willing to take a d-man.

I still wouldn't mind a big trade this summer, but I get that Chiarelli wants to see how all of the core plays this year under McLellan first.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I am not sure we do anything anymore.

Ferrence and Nikita can take turns on the bench and cover for injuries.

We basically have the same team we had at the start of last year but with the addition of McDavid and MeLellan. We know Eakins was a disaster so the coaching upgrade improves us as does our players getting more experienced.

Cherelli may just want to see what we have before making any more moves. Next years potential defensive should be better as well depending who signs.

We are still not a playoff team but with good systems and coaching we should improve a lot plus we have guys like Leon, Nurse, and Griffin all waiting in the wings developing... Plus guys like Slepy, Yakimov, and Kharia.

Got to be very careful moving forward with the cap and so many higly touted prospects knocking on the door.

It'll only be a problem if all those highly touted prospects turn into highly touted players, at which point I can think of worse problems to have.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
One of Ference or Nikitin has gotta go.

Why? Unless Chiarelli has another move lined up, what is the purpose of moving one of them out? I'd rather have one of those two as the #7 in and out of the lineup than Reinhart or Nurse in that spot.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
That's actually a valid point.

Right this moment we don't NEED to move out a defensemen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Reinhart and Nurse can start in the AHL if need be. We've got more than enough cap space to keep everyone as is if there are no more moves coming.

Now... there might be such a thing as too many bad defensemen. And we might be in that situation right now.

Ok agreed.

13jetoil39

Apr 14, 2015
just LOL'd at some of you guys and ur Nitkan moves :) love it.

But Ryan Rishuag says trade he expects because of to many D...

Ward would be nice. Need a good trade coming up

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Looking forward to seeing a couple young d-men take Nikitin's and Ference's spots at some time during the year, and seeing us waive them out. At least there is some competition for spots this year. Hopefully McLellan will bench floaters for dismal play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad