Oilers next move?

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Does Yak and 2016 1st get you in the game for a solid top 2 DMan? Criteria is under 27, manageable contract and term, and plays with some edge AND offense. Who fits the bill??? I think Shatty is off the market with that solid Oshie trade.

Not really sure who'd have the greatest value out there right now... Drai or Yak? Depends what the team's looking for in position and what they make of a former #1's sputter start to his career. Both have "potential", but it's not clear what their respective ceiling's gonna be. I have no problem packaging one of them together with our 1st and a half decent 'spect NOT named Nurse to get one of the dmen you describe above.

But we're not talking pure #1D here. Not the Pietrangelos, the Subbans, the Keiths, the Doughtys, the Webers. I'd happily pay for Seabrook. Hedman's going nowhere, and Yandle doesn't bring the defensive skills that I'd like. Damn, Hamilton was THE guy, if you ask me.

But in as much as this is a better blueline now than it was before, imo it still needs another top pairing guy in order for all the other pieces to play at their true capable spots. And we're all well aware of the consequences of asking too much of our players.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Add in Purcell and that's $12.25 million in wasted cap space. Yet some were saying that MacT > Chia a few days ago :shakehead

Nobody should think that about MacT. They never should have.

Purcell was a bad move, but not as horrendous as the Nikitin/Ference signings. At least they were able to dump Gagner's salary with the Purcell trade.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ference-Gryba is a terrible pairing. Both guys can't move the puck.

Pay Nikitin 4.5M to sit in the press box? and Davidson will have to clear waivers.

At the very least Nikitin should be gone. I want Ference gone, but that seems unrealistic

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Nurse/Reinhart-Gryba
Davidson

would be ideal

Nobody is going to claim Brandon Davidson. Players like that pass through waivers literally every year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I get the impression that Chiarelli isn't over.

The next move is to move out salary. That might take time considering that the players he wants to move will be ones that teams don't want (Nikitin/Purcell), or Ference with his NMC. I bet he wants to keep Ference, although Chia let Ference walk away once before.

Then, a trade or signing.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I get the impression that Chiarelli isn't over.

The next move is to move out salary. That might take time considering that the players he wants to move will be ones that teams don't want (Nikitin/Purcell), or Ference with his NMC. I bet he wants to keep Ference, although Chia let Ference walk away once before.

Then, a trade or signing.
Chia had no choice as they were too close to the cap. Besides Neely was the one actually making the moves as Neely wanted final say.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
I am still hoping to sign one of Franson or Ehrhoff to a reasonable contract. Other teams manage to figure out ways to dump unwanted contracts.

+ Franson/Ehrhoff
- Nikitin/Purcell

Adding either one of those guys is what I'm quietly waiting for. On a 3 year deal they would be a large piece in Nurse/Rienhart development allowing them to start on the farm and move up into limited rolls for a year or two.

Having more experience on the D will totally change the way Hall/RNH/Eberle et al play their game.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I honestly think nothing more gets done until training camp.

If Nikitin, Purcell or Scrivens were going to be bought out, the team would have done so already so that the team could sign or acquire another player. Buying out Ference would have triggered a 4 year cap penalty so that wasn't happening, and the flat cap (plus their abysmal 2014/15 performances) kills the team's chance of moving any of the above-listed players (even with salary retention).

Now the team has almost no cap room left, so I'm guessing WTSIWYG.

*Then again, I never thought the Oilers had a chance at getting Sekera, so what do I know?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Nobody should think that about MacT. They never should have.

Purcell was a bad move, but not as horrendous as the Nikitin/Ference signings. At least they were able to dump Gagner's salary with the Purcell trade.

I thought Nikitin was more on Howsen.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Nikitin fired out of a cannon.

Please.

I still can't believe they gave a guy who scores 10-15 points a year, and isn't even good defensively, 4.5 million per year. He's being paid approximately 4x his value.

If you look at the range of D-men that he fits in with monetary wise.

Braydon Coburn
Dan Hamhuis
Francois Beauchemin
Anton Stralman
Dan Boyle
Fedor Tyutin

Hell Kevin Shattenkirk's caphit is 4.25 million and he had 44 points and was +14 last year.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Next move is probably signing Shultz. I cant see any way they'll be able to shed salary, why would anyone take Nikitin, Purcell or Ference off our hands? I dont see anything left out there that would be worth what we'd have to give up for someone to take them.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Realistically the next move is either a giant trade or just being a winning team.

If they win purcell and nikitin will be more valuable (assuming they make the team) and will be more moveable during the season or at the deadline.

Imagine getting a 2nd for nikitin and replacing him with nurse in one day?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
That's actually a valid point.

Right this moment we don't NEED to move out a defensemen

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Reinhart and Nurse can start in the AHL if need be. We've got more than enough cap space to keep everyone as is if there are no more moves coming.

Now... there might be such a thing as too many bad defensemen. And we might be in that situation right now.

Davidson needs to clear waivers. I'd like to keep him.

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
I think we still have up to 3 moves to go. First, I think they're going to do everything they can to dump Nikitin. If you look at Chiarelli's track record in his first few years in Boston, he wasn't someone who limited himself to trades in the offseason. I think there's a decent chance he wants to create some cap flexibility to open the door for a potential mid-season acquisition.

We also know they were in on at least a few backup goaltending options, so moves 2 and 3 would be dumping Scrivens and picking up a different goaltending option. Then I think he sits back and waits to see what McLellan can do with the core pieces we already have.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I still can't believe they gave a guy who scores 10-15 points a year, and isn't even good defensively, 4.5 million per year. He's being paid approximately 4x his value.

If you look at the range of D-men that he fits in with monetary wise.

Braydon Coburn
Dan Hamhuis
Francois Beauchemin
Anton Stralman
Dan Boyle
Fedor Tyutin

Hell Kevin Shattenkirk's caphit is 4.25 million and he had 44 points and was +14 last year.

that is just gross. But, it was typical Mact; hope for the best, don't plan for the more likely worst.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Davidson needs to clear waivers. I'd like to keep him.

There's no risk of a fringe player like Davidson getting claimed on waivers. Every team in the league has prospects like him in the exact same situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad