Speculation: Oilers News Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oh phew. Now I feel so much better about the team.

Don't worry guys everything is going to be OK now. We're in good hands...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The more I think about it, the more depressed I get.

Daryl Katz is the worst thing that ever happened to this team.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The Ottawa Senators are doing fan outreach on the Ottawa board if any of you guys are looking for a new team.

This a bad time..?

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC

Hey Mr. Katz,

If you feel the need to publish a letter like this, then your not on the "right track".

After 8 years, the "right track" would include icing a competitive hockey team that all Oiler fans could be proud of. 8 years to get to this point? Oiler fans need to start voting with their wallets. Then and only then will changes happen.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So the news is that Kevin Lowe is safe?

yup, that is the big news... this team is a travesty, simple as that... it would be funny if it wasn't so sad... complete and utter failure for almost a decade, and yet your job is as safe as safe can be... what i wouldn't do for such job security

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
yup, that is the big news... this team is a travesty, simple as that... it would be funny if it wasn't so sad... complete and utter failure for almost a decade, and yet your job is as safe as safe can be... what i wouldn't do for such job security

Has Stauffer verified that that was the news he was referring to?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i guess we got what we wished for, we wanted a single rich owner to buy the team to bring us deep pockets and a competitive team. instead we got a rich owner who is using the team to live his childhood dream of being butt buddies with guys that are driving the franchise into the dirt, then further into the dirt into the clay and rocks and eventually to china,

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
XX7k7rM.gif

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
You're right Bob, now there's no doubt that this is MacTavish's team!

They really proved all the nay-sayers wrong!

Goooooooo Oilers! :D:D:D:D

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Hey Mr. Katz,

If you feel the need to publish a letter like this, then your not on the "right track".

After 8 years, the "right track" would include icing a competitive hockey team that all Oiler fans could be proud of. 8 years to get to this point? Oiler fans need to start voting with their wallets. Then and only then will changes happen.

Then the threats of relocation will arise again.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Here is the problem, as pointed out by others, the says loudly it is MacT's team just as people suggested it was Tambos team, we saw through oil spill and other avenues that no Tambo still had to run everything through Lowe and Katz.

We see that Lowe in a recent interview says decisions are made collectively while this letter is saying it is all MacTs' team.

Here is the biggest problem. MacT when hired went on his major bluster about being bold, being impatient and winning now. Most people lapped it up others thought it was silly of him to make those proclamations that sounded like fan service.

Now, after the team falls flat on its ass again we are being fed the previous party line of 'we have to be patient, we are not selling off young assets.' (The real reason for this in my mind is that the oilers over value their assets, teams want to take advantage of a crap organization and new GM who blabbed off about change and our team has a sour rep within the league.)

Daryl Katz wants to win, but he doesn't want to win bad enough to punt the guys who are responsible for the team who are his buddies.

It amazes me that the team seems genuinely surprised that they are being taken to task all of a sudden in a blunt fashion as if by hiring Mact they reset the rebuild clock.

If the Oilers are serious about not trading any of their young pieces then be prepared for a good 5 more years of no playoffs because even saying that word is a joke for this team right now. We aren't even in the realm of that word, if we improve by 10 wins next year we are not close.

This is partly what you get when you try and cloak dissent and manipulate your media by being overly positive when there are real problems, you get sudden surprise one day when a huge number of people think you are full of bs, don't buy what you are selling and show their displeasure in a very in your face fashion.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyril*

Is Katz the worst owner in hockey right now?

Every season that goes by certainly makes me want to say yes.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The only "positive" I can see from this letter is that at least Katz realizes that fans are getting fed up. Enough so to think a letter of this type was warranted.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Well... you've got Melnyk over in Ottawa investing in his Matt Cooke CSI project.

At least Katz isn't crazy yet.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Well Melnyk and his forensic evidence that matt cooke purposely cut karlsson is a complete joke and embarrassing but at least he has hired competent staff and a competitive team

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I still recall the press conference where Lowe was taken aback that the media would actually question his competence and when he pointed to the six Cup rings as his credibility.

The Cup rings was funny. The problem I had was how surprised he was that the media would question his track record with the Oilers. As if.... he was unaware that finishing 29th and 30th in the league was not a good thing.

cyril*

Well... you've got Melnyk over in Ottawa investing in his Matt Cooke CSI project.

At least Katz isn't crazy yet.

We don't know that he's sane either.

At least Melnyk ices a competitive team. What has Katz done?

- iced the worst team in the NHL since he has owned it
- threatened to move the team

Ya, great owner he is. :laugh:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

I would have to agree with you
All you have to do is look at the standings since 08/09 to reaffirm this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad