Oilers need to quit living in the past

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Hey Stompinstoms,

Just a quick question, what team in the NHL do you consider your team? Just curious if you are a Canuck fan writing a piece on the Oilers to get a rise. Or are you an Oil fan living in Vancouver; in which case, this teams embarrassing performance is probably hardest on a guy like you. I mean, we have each other to console but you have (shudders) Canuck fans that you have to endure.

Haha.

I am an Oilers fan, and I do live in Vancouver. Please keep me in your thought :laugh:

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
The Oilers feel that need to do what they can to keep exi$ting $eas$on ticket holder$ intere$ted until the new arena i$ built and the glory day$ return. If that means leaning too heavily on 80's reminiscences for a few more years, so be it.

<slow clap>

well done sir.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
No, the current players haven't commented publicly, but would they? I think not, nor should they. They're professionals, and should conduct themselves as such. That includes not shooting your mouth off to the media about the organization that employs you.

As for the first comment about fans who aren't annoyed by it... all I'll say is that you and your friends are probably Katz's dream fans. Willing to bask in the glory of the now distant past rather than focus on the dumpster fire that continues to burn bright in Edmonton.

Is it impossible to do both? I for one wasn't alive during the Dynasty years, and only have the stories from my Dad. Seeing celebrations, I think is great, that team should be celebrated.

I also Have been a fan since I can remember 93-94ish. And trust me on this, we don't sit around at the bar yuking it up about how good Gretzky was, and ignore the fact the new regime didn't do damage to a proud franchise, There is a ton of embarrassment. But all that embarrassment, and the dumpster fire, should never cast a shadow on the "good ol' days" Those's team earned it's praise. In my opinion of course.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I remember when Eakins decided to adopt this logic and it didn't do anything.

Mixed message. While Eakins was talking away all the pictures of the past in the locker room the owner was changing back to the old uniforms and hiring anybody from the glory days who wanted a job.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Is it impossible to do both? I for one wasn't alive during the Dynasty years, and only have the stories from my Dad. Seeing celebrations, I think is great, that team should be celebrated.

I also Have been a fan since I can remember 93-94ish. And trust me on this, we don't sit around at the bar yuking it up about how good Gretzky was, and ignore the fact the new regime didn't do damage to a proud franchise, There is a ton of embarrassment. But all that embarrassment, and the dumpster fire, should never cast a shadow on the "good ol' days" Those's team earned it's praise. In my opinion of course.

Just to be clear, my issue isn't with fans reminiscing of the good old days. My issue is with the current regime cramming down our throats that the Oilers were a very good team at one point.

Do you see John Tonelli parading himself around to the media during Islanders practices these days? No, because the Islanders don't invite him to practices because why the heck would they? It's stupid.

It's one thing for former players to drop by and say hi. It's another to organize a media availability for them so that they can talk about how great the team used to be.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Just to be clear, my issue isn't with fans reminiscing of the good old days. My issue is with the current regime cramming down our throats that the Oilers were a very good team at one point.

Do you see John Tonelli parading himself around to the media during Islanders practices these days? No, because the Islanders don't invite him to practices because why the heck would they? It's stupid.

It's one thing for former players to drop by and say hi. It's another to organize a media availability for them so that they can talk about how great the team used to be.

Fair enough, missed your point slightly.

On the Subject of management doing it, so they have figured out a good way to make money? and add excitement, to an entertainment business? Meh. Good for them for capitalizing on it. Some people eat it up, others don't waste their money. Seems like smart business to me.

Other teams have to use different means to bring in extra Money, luckily for the Oilers so many people love the retired greats.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Mixed message. While Eakins was talking away all the pictures of the past in the locker room the owner was changing back to the old uniforms and hiring anybody from the glory days who wanted a job.

It was a mixed message and looking back I'm really surprised it was allowed to happen. Less than a year later they had the 30 year anniversary gala that they heavily promoted. Not sure how you go from the players needing to be protected from the eighties teams for there own good to be involved in that in less than a year.

I grew up watching those eighties teams, I know first hand how special they were. Even I'm sick of all the references now. It's become hard to think fondly of those days now with the constant reminder of how badly Kevin Lowe screwed up the present. It's probably going to take him being completely gone from the organization for a few years to get over that and to go back to remembering the past as fondly as I used to. That's a shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad