Oilers need to quit living in the past

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Makes sense, I mean you would think a team would want to distance itself from it's past, be their own current team. Look at Montreal, all that history they never talk about for any reason.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Makes sense, I mean you would think a team would want to distance itself from it's past, be their own current team. Look at Montreal, all that history they never talk about for any reason.

Exactly. I also mention the Islanders in the article. That's a pretty darn close comparison (won all their cups in a short period of time, held claim to a dynasty). No evidence of some bogus 30th anniversary party in '10.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
Nope. Dead serious. It's annoying to fans, and probably intimidating/depressing for the current players.

It's not annoying to me or any of my friends who have been apart of a ceremony.

Have any current players commented about living in the shadows of a Dynasty?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Exactly. I also mention the Islanders in the article. That's a pretty darn close comparison (won all their cups in a short period of time, held claim to a dynasty). No evidence of some bogus 30th anniversary party in '10.

Yes, a team acting like the 2nd fiddle they are treated like in their market is a great example.

You should go let the Isles fans know how much you respect the fact they ignore their history, see how that goes.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think the way the Organization has been using the 80s as a distraction tool for the current state of the franchise has been pretty lame.

I don't think the players could care any less though.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Great article.

For the past 10 years everytime the fan base gets irate they hold some sort of glory days reunion and everybody laps it up. These boys on the bus have driven this franchise to the ground as a management staff I am personally sick of hearing about them.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It's funny how the "modern" Oilers are the exact reverse of the old Oilers. ******. In 30 years will they be celebrating the massive failures of the current club? I can just see Nuge and Hall and Eberle all gathered around a wizened Kevin Lowe and MacT, posing next to a golden toilet or something.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Nice article. I completely agree. Hopefully the new building will kind of help distance themselves from the past (both 80s glory and current failure).

I think it's actually a good thing for new players to be able to talk to guys like Gretzky, Coffey and Messier (Hey Connor!), but the never ending celebrations go a little overboard.

It's one thing to recognize and honor the past, and another to parade around 30 years later like it was yesterday.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
It's funny how the "modern" Oilers are the exact reverse of the old Oilers. ******. In 30 years will they be celebrating the massive failures of the current club? I can just see Nuge and Hall and Eberle all gathered around a wizened Kevin Lowe and MacT, posing next to a golden toilet or something.

"look at these guys taylor they can never suck like we did lolololl"

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Nice article. I completely agree. Hopefully the new building will kind of help distance themselves from the past (both 80s glory and current failure).

I think it's actually a good thing for new players to be able to talk to guys like Gretzky, Coffey and Messier (Hey Connor!), but the never ending celebrations go a little overboard.

It's one thing to recognize and honor the past, and another to parade around 30 years later like it was yesterday.

i dont know what you are talking about dude........Eddie the Jet Joyal was there on sunday night

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
It's not annoying to me or any of my friends who have been apart of a ceremony.

Have any current players commented about living in the shadows of a Dynasty?

No, the current players haven't commented publicly, but would they? I think not, nor should they. They're professionals, and should conduct themselves as such. That includes not shooting your mouth off to the media about the organization that employs you.

As for the first comment about fans who aren't annoyed by it... all I'll say is that you and your friends are probably Katz's dream fans. Willing to bask in the glory of the now distant past rather than focus on the dumpster fire that continues to burn bright in Edmonton.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It is perfectly fine to 'live in the past' with actual past teams and players.

The doom of this organization has been with the owner living in the past by hiring former players to do horrendously awful jobs, thus sewering the team for a decade or more.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Willing to bask in the glory of the now distant past rather than focus on the dumpster fire that continues to burn bright in Edmonton.

Why can't you do both?

I focus on, and am appalled by, this present day dumpster fire. Still, once in a while I want an escape from all this trash. Once in a while I want to see a team wearing my favorite jersey dominate. Basking in old glory doesn't make me forget how deplorable this current atrocity is. If anything, by contrast, it magnifies how pathetic this team really is. Unfortunately, the past is all I have.

Man I'm jaded towards this team lately. Oh well, Ill be excited again in September.:help:

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Hey Stompinstoms,

Just a quick question, what team in the NHL do you consider your team? Just curious if you are a Canuck fan writing a piece on the Oilers to get a rise. Or are you an Oil fan living in Vancouver; in which case, this teams embarrassing performance is probably hardest on a guy like you. I mean, we have each other to console but you have (shudders) Canuck fans that you have to endure.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hey Stompinstoms,

Just a quick question, what team in the NHL do you consider your team? Just curious if you are a Canuck fan writing a piece on the Oilers to get a rise. Or are you an Oil fan living in Vancouver; in which case, this teams embarrassing performance is probably hardest on a guy like you. I mean, we have each other to console but you have (shudders) Canuck fans that you have to endure.

I think they've all disappeared now. The ones left behind are probably okay.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
The Oilers feel that need to do what they can to keep exi$ting $eas$on ticket holder$ intere$ted until the new arena i$ built and the glory day$ return. If that means leaning too heavily on 80's reminiscences for a few more years, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad