Oilers name Eberle, Gagner, Hall, RNH, N Schultz, Smyth as alternate captains

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
No kidding, the old thanks for coming out old man. He should just announce it's his last year and do a Rivera-esq retirement tour.

We could present him with a statue of a hockey stick at the new rink. One with the biggest knob you've ever seen and the widest blade in the history of all mankind.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I like it. It encourages all these players to "COMPETE" for a more permanent letter. Each one of these guys has earned a shot at the A, now there will be continued incentive for these guys to prove their worth.

I have faith that Eakins knows what he's doing picking Smyth and NSchultz over Smid and whoever else.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
I like it. It encourages all these players to "COMPETE" for a more permanent letter. Each one of these guys has earned a shot at the A, now there will be continued incentive for these guys to prove their worth.

I have faith that Eakins knows what he's doing picking Smyth and NSchultz over Smid and whoever else.

I agree with Eakins knows, he's creating an atmosphere. I think Smid is too light hearted and jokes around a lot. Doesn't seem like Eakins kind of guy.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
What's it like in the Oilers dressing room? I'm just wondering since all of you guys seem to know what it's like in the room. As fans we have very little insight as to who ought to be considered a leader. I think Eakins also made it very clear that many players without an A will be looked upon for leadership. The best teams value the input of everybody, having a letter doesn't make your input more valuable it just means the coach has confidence in the example you're setting. A guy like Schultz has a very good reputation and may be highly respected in the room, how can any of you say he shouldn't be a leader? Comments stating players like J.Schultz and Smid should be offended are hilarious. I really think some of you guys are weird...

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I would've held off on RNH another year and given an 'A' to Smid in his place. That way, every night you have one of the "young core" paired with an "old hand" (weird to think of Smid like that as he's younger than me and it feels like yesterday that we traded Pronger for this highly heralded, smooth-skating d-man prospect that reminded me of Peter Pan).

Schultz likely won't be here longer than another year nor will Smyth and you could give an 'A' to guys like RNH, Schultz, Petry, or whoever else then.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I agree with Eakins knows, he's creating an atmosphere. I think Smid is too light hearted and jokes around a lot. Doesn't seem like Eakins kind of guy.

Or he was the 7th guy on the list. Who knows how Eakins feels about anyone or how serious Smid acts when it's business time in the room. He sure looks serious about his job on the ice. Everybody can't get an A, it's not like any of the guys with them are players who one couldn't make a great case for.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I would've held off on RNH another year and given an 'A' to Smid in his place. That way, every night you have one of the "young core" paired with an "old hand" (weird to think of Smid like that as he's younger than me and it feels like yesterday that we traded Pronger for this highly heralded, smooth-skating d-man prospect that reminded me of Peter Pan).

Schultz likely won't be here longer than another year nor will Smyth and you could give an 'A' to guys like RNH, Schultz, Petry, or whoever else then.

I don't think Eakins gives 2 ***** about that. An Oiler is an Oiler.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Agreed, I think its ridiculous that a kid like Nugent Hopkins gets an A. Hilarious that you guys question Smyth or Schultz, but not RNH - total prospect fanboys.

Smid should have gotten an A over RNH.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Agreed, I think its ridiculous that a kid like Nugent Hopkins gets an A. Hilarious that you guys question Smyth or Schultz, but not RNH - total prospect fanboys.

Smid should have gotten an A over RNH.

RNH can lead by example.

Smyth can't do anything at this point.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I don't think Eakins gives 2 ***** about that. An Oiler is an Oiler.

Then why even have a captain, let alone one that "understands" what it takes to be a good leader.

It's one thing to promote team unity, it's another to be blind to important realities. Referees are going to listen closer to players with a long, solid history of leadership and rules-following play, for example.

For example, the best coach I ever had (he was my hockey coach for 2 years) as a young person who competitively played upwards of 5 sports in my teens, always stressed that "if you were good enough to make the team, you were good enough to play"...but in reality? If we needed a goal in the last minute and were losing, I knew that I'd be pulled (goalie, obviously) and that one of our best offensive players would be sent out. NOT a solid defensive d-man.

Same principle applies here. There should not be a hierarchy in the dressing room, but obviously players with leadership experience are going to hold a premium (just as certain players were going to be played in certain situations despite my coach's proclamations). Smid certainly has more than RNH, and players have made statements about his leadership (and we've also seen it in things like "Oil Change").

That said, a coach needs to be cognizant of what makes players tick. For example, with RNH, perhaps he felt like giving him an 'A' would motivate him more, whereas Smid already knows that he is and an 'A' is less important. Or perhaps he didn't think Smid would speak to refs with enough deference or whatever.

There are a legion of questions, but for me, I would want an equal balance between younger vs. older experience and leadership skills, and I don't think that necessarily creates a division in the room. Otherwise teams wouldn't follow that as a regular model.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I feel like this is almost a "trial" period for the A's.

Lets throw 6 A's out there and see who actually leads, NSchultz and Smyth will be gone next year and they are a veteran presence for a young team, so you're down to 4 A's next year. Then with a full year having these guys, Eakins can make a more informed choice as who wants as more permanent guys.

Since he's been here what 3 months? Nuge hasn't even played for him at all... hard to know who you'd want in that amount of time

And playing sports in my own life... preseason and offseason is not what should decide a leader. I remember my first year on a team and the guys that were vocal and leading some of the training in the offseason didn't get letters, the coaching staff gave them to a different guy (I was a bit surprised).
Halfway through the season, I knew why.... the guy that was vocal just had a big mouth (I'm sure we've all had the big mouth idiot on our team) and a bit of a show-off but disappeared in tight games. The guy that was our captain, wasn't the most vocal, but when he spoke we all listened, and he went out there and had some great shifts for my team in tough close games and led with his play on the ice.

I'd rather wait and let Eakins find the young guys that lead by example in the locker room when the going gets tough and gives solid minutes in those close games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad