Post-Game Talk: Oilers mudded in Philly

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Seems like he just doesn't want to. It's been a bad habit since Tmac days. Amusingly, I always notice him suddenly having legs once he's with McD. When he's centering his own line, it looks he's just going through the motions. I mean, he seemingly can't even be bothered to skate to a puck and would rather reach other with his stick. It's the little things really.
It reinforces his strength of utility in his game with ability to play centre and wing. But also a good reminder how much more harder it is to play centre with two way responsibilities required to lead a line in all areas of the ice.

Draisaitl's game has to vary wildly, often in-game, to the demands of those two different positions. McDavid's other worldly slashing puck penetration game requires Leon the winger to find soft ice and be in position to finish on the defensive break downs created by McDavid's high speed chaos inducing work. Draisaitl the centre is thrust into the guts of the game. His play style slows down into more of a classic big pivot game. He must be more driver, creator, and distributor while also carrying the centre responsibilities to be on the right side of the puck defending as well. His high risk passes and turnovers become more pronounced when playing centre and carrying this two-way responsibility.

I felt for this team to be a Cup contender it would be through leveraging the three centre spine which I thought might sacrifice some of the high score pinball like scoring numbers put up by the stack McDavid Draisaitl line. But more and more I think McDavid and Draisaitl winger need to play together with Nugent Hopkins carrying line two and a veteran 3C brought in for the playoffs.

Draisaitl has hit a little bit of a down cycle within yet another immense season for this team. Prudent methinks to cut some slack with this big picture in mind but certainly the player needs to reduce the low probability, high risk plays (especially as a centreman). Those 'sins' though I see committed due to the immense burning desire to win versus some interpretation that see it as a sign of laziness or indifference. Draisaitl's earned the benefit of any doubt, imo.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I knew after all those stat talks about how bad Philly was in overtime we would lose.

To be fair, it’s clear why Philly is bad in OT. They basically just try and survive and see if they can win in the shootout. That was probably the worst effort I’ve ever seen from a team at 3 on 3.

Still haven't lost in regulation in the last 10

You’d think we were 4-6 in the last 10 the way people are talking. 18 of 20 possible points is massive

Drais in a slump but some all ya'll are off the deep end with your hot takes.

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Ya he’s literally second to only McDavid league wide. Who cares if he’s in a slump? Shitting on him isn’t going to help it, and he’s still elite.

This board and a large portion of the fan base carve every player. It's pretty sad.

Having Gretzky and McDavid has really screwed up people’s expectations. It’s a long season and players are human. They go through ups and downs. Just because 2 of the 5 greatest players to ever play the game manage to somehow avoid slumps doesn’t mean that should be the expectation for everyone.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
"Injured" is different than "hurt" though. If you're named to the All-Star game you have to miss a game before or after to be able to skip it. I'd wager that Leon is playing hurt, but not hurt enough to necessitate coming out of the lineup so he went to the All-Star game so he wouldn't miss one.

Still no excuse for the brain dead turnovers and straight up lazy play. Leon has a very bad habit (like a lot of Oilers) of complicating and adding risk to his game when he isn't feeling it rather than just simplifying and playing in straight lines. His choice to do a blind backhand spin o rama to nowhere rather than shoot with a clear look still has me pissed off this morning.

Benching him isn't the answer, but it would be nice if Woodcroft scales back his minutes if he's in the mode where he turns it over nearly every single time he gets the puck. A message has to get through somehow that playing this way isn't acceptable no matter how much of a "funk" he might be in. Not feeling it? Then start shooting the damn puck and moving your feet instead of zipping blind passes all over the ice.
That spin o Rama play was infuriating. Just shoot the Damn puck. It’s like the team refused to remember that goals off rebounds are ok. You don’t need to blast it directly into the net.

I honestly wonder if Woody actually talks to Drai about these plays and to effing stop it. My guess is “probably not”. Accountability is not his thing…

Reactions: frag2 and Duke74

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That spin o Rama play was infuriating. Just shoot the Damn puck. It’s like the team refused to remember that goals off rebounds are ok. You don’t need to blast it directly into the net.

I honestly wonder if Woody actually talks to Drai about these plays and to effing stop it. My guess is “probably not”. Accountability is not his thing…

That’s ridiculous. When they pull it off, it’s a highlight reel goal and everyone talks about how they made something out of nothing. Well it doesn’t work every time. It’s like people that say you can’t attempt the Michigan unless you score every time. Not everything works 100% of the time and you don’t write them off entirely because of it

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
To be fair, it’s clear why Philly is bad in OT. They basically just try and survive and see if they can win in the shootout. That was probably the worst effort I’ve ever seen from a team at 3 on 3.

You’d think we were 4-6 in the last 10 the way people are talking. 18 of 20 possible points is massive

Ya he’s literally second to only McDavid league wide. Who cares if he’s in a slump? Shitting on him isn’t going to help it, and he’s still elite.

Having Gretzky and McDavid has really screwed up people’s expectations. It’s a long season and players are human. They go through ups and downs. Just because 2 of the 5 greatest players to ever play the game manage to somehow avoid slumps doesn’t mean that should be the expectation for everyone.
I think most people in here can admit that Drai is still an amazing player and we are lucky to have him.

I also think it’s still fair that he has the same flaws YOY that many times end up in the back of our net very often. It’s ok to expect players to learn and get better as they age. Drai has looked off for over a month now. And continued to make lazy plays. There is truth in that.

I love Drai though in the end. And I know he will bounce out of this. I think we do all need to get used to the fact that he has one bad month n him every season. It’s the way it is. But he’s still elite and I’m glad he’s an oiler

That’s ridiculous. When they pull it off, it’s a highlight reel goal and everyone talks about how they made something out of nothing. Well it doesn’t work every time. It’s like people that say you can’t attempt the Michigan unless you score every time. Not everything works 100% of the time and you don’t write them off entirely because of it
I disagree. But that’s ok. We can see things differently. There is a time and place for those plays. Drai does it like 4 times a game lately. That’s more where my head is at.

Reactions: bellagiobob

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah but the point is to score goals, you don’t get extra points for being flashy. Sometimes it works, but more often than not it doesn’t. In a game where the Oilers had precious few offensive opportunities you don’t carelessly throw one away.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

It's Leon's disposition I think. When a clear 10 bell look isn't there his instinct is to defer.

On one of the Oilers TV shows following the season there was one clip when he was mic'd up that stuck with me. Yamo took a shot from an off angle and then when he got back to the bench Leon told him something like "when you're in that spot don't shoot it, just take a quick look up and see if Kane is sitting there back door, you aren't going to score from there." All I could do was think "yep, that outlook makes sense based on what I'm seeing from him."

Although he might be right in a way, by not shooting and deferring that is what produces turnovers that go the other way. I think his mantra is simply "don't shoot unless you know it's going in" and IMO that is the cause of a lot of cascading issues with the turnovers and mind numbing plays like the spin o rama. Weird thing is I don't feel like it's always been that way. In his first 50 goal year I feel like he was firing from everywhere and scoring a lot because of it. The instinct to defer to this degree seems like a new development this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Conspiracy theories? What are you talking about? You literally said it.

Plus when it comes to game management, this has been something WIDELY reported. It's not a conspiracy.
Look, I am not disagreeing that the reffing overall in the NHL is not good. And McDavid tends to get the short end of the stick a lot of times. And there could have been a couple calls go our way last night. My point is that it if we at least played an average game, none of that matters and we get 2 points. But it seems every time we lose, no matter how we play, there is an element out there that constantly brings up the refereeing and make it a focal point of our loss. That seems to be something the Leaf and Flames fans tend to constantly whine and complain about, and I would hope we're better than that. For me, we played a shitty game and lost. Our fault, and now we move on and hope to play better on the weekend and take any other extraneous factors out of the equation.

Drai is still playing injured, still impacted by the injury and has said so multiple times. This is not an opinion, its a matter of record and what the player himself has stated. Don't think Drai wanted to be at ASG either. But fans voting him in there when he could use time off instead. Drai still has the ankle sprain. Theres been a report that he could have had a rib injury (I think it was as well)
I don't recall seeing this info on the injuries, but if that's truly the case, they really need to rest him and bring someone else in, because at this point, his play is affecting others as well, and is actually resulting in negative results when he's on the ice.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's Leon's disposition I think. When a clear 10 bell look isn't there his instinct is to defer.

On one of the Oilers TV shows following the season there was one clip when he was mic'd up that stuck with me. Yamo took a shot from an off angle and then when he got back to the bench Leon told him something like "when you're in that spot don't shoot it, just take a quick look up and see if Kane is sitting there back door, you aren't going to score from there." All I could do was think "yep, that outlook makes sense based on what I'm seeing from him."

Although he might be right in a way, by not shooting and deferring that is what produces turnovers that go the other way. I think his mantra is simply "don't shoot unless you know it's going in" and IMO that is the cause of a lot of cascading issues with the turnovers and mind numbing plays like the spin o rama. Weird thing is I don't feel like it's always been that way. In his first 50 goal year I feel like he was firing from everywhere and scoring a lot because of it. The instinct to defer to this degree seems like a new development this year.
Might be right? Drai is right. Yammernothing has 40 career goals. he's best to defer on almost everything. As Smyth stated "you don't have to have blinders on out there"

Trying to shoot nothing shots on bad angles is the domain of scoreless teams like Philly that can't score for their lives. The Oilers are a potent crew who score in bunches and often making highlight reall perfect plays. Its kind of the nature of a star studded team that you see more well orchestrated goals rather than the occasional bang the puck in goals. its not a bad thing to look for the better chance.

Look, I am not disagreeing that the reffing overall in the NHL is not good. And McDavid tends to get the short end of the stick a lot of times. And there could have been a couple calls go our way last night. My point is that it if we at least played an average game, none of that matters and we get 2 points. But it seems every time we lose, no matter how we play, there is an element out there that constantly brings up the refereeing and make it a focal point of our loss. That seems to be something the Leaf and Flames fans tend to constantly whine and complain about, and I would hope we're better than that. For me, we played a shitty game and lost. Our fault, and now we move on and hope to play better on the weekend and take any other extraneous factors out of the equation.

I don't recall seeing this info on the injuries, but if that's truly the case, they really need to rest him and bring someone else in, because at this point, his play is affecting others as well, and is actually resulting in negative results when he's on the ice.
I just posted the citations in this thread last night. Its there. Drai has been playing through injuries this season. He even missed games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think most people in here can admit that Drai is still an amazing player and we are lucky to have him.

I also think it’s still fair that he has the same flaws YOY that many times end up in the back of our net very often. It’s ok to expect players to learn and get better as they age. Drai has looked off for over a month now. And continued to make lazy plays. There is truth in that.

I love Drai though in the end. And I know he will bounce out of this. I think we do all need to get used to the fact that he has one bad month n him every season. It’s the way it is. But he’s still elite and I’m glad he’s an oiler

I disagree. But that’s ok. We can see things differently. There is a time and place for those plays. Drai does it like 4 times a game lately. That’s more where my head is at.
No issues pointing out when a player has an off game or several in a row. That’s what GDT’s are for. Doesn’t mean anyone hates a player, far from it, if we didn’t care we wouldn’t bother posting about him. Drai gets a ton of praise when he is playing well, as he should. Like with most players, we have posters who will criticize a player no matter what he does, those who will defend him no matter what, and the majority who will offer both praise and criticism when warranted. Like you said, we all see things differently, and that’s okay.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Might be right? Drai is right. Yammernothing has 40 career goals. he's best to defer on almost everything. As Smyth stated "you don't have to have blinders on out there"

Trying to shoot nothing shots on bad angles is the domain of scoreless teams like Philly that can't score for their lives. The Oilers are a potent crew who score in bunches and often making highlight reall perfect plays. Its kind of the nature of a star studded team that you see more well orchestrated goals rather than the occasional bang the puck in goals. its not a bad thing to look for the better chance.

I just posted the citations in this thread last night. Its there. Drai has been playing through injuries this season. He even missed games.

Depends on your outlook of the game I suppose. One of Yamo's biggest faults IMO is he double clutches on scoring looks (I think he'd have way more than 40 goals if his instinct was to shoot) and when I heard that from Leon all I could think was "don't tell him that he passes up too many looks as it is." Leon might be able to think his way around that play in real time, Yamo can't.

I have time for that disposition for an elite player like Leon, but I don't think that's the message that should be going to Yamo. As I mentioned in my previous post, I feel like the extreme lack of shooting from Leon is a newer phenomenon that hasn't helped him. He used to thrive off the quick release to the low corners of the net (in all situations, not just netside on the PP) and he made a living off of it. He just doesn't do that anymore. There are some nights now where it appears he just won't shoot at all unless it's the net side one timer.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Heavy skates...heavy hand...he can be plagued by both.
PXL_20230210_195448295.jpg

We could just turn this into a Leon appreciation thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Depends on your outlook of the game I suppose. One of Yamo's biggest faults IMO is he double clutches on scoring looks (I think he'd have way more than 40 goals if his instinct was to shoot) and when I heard that from Leon all I could think was "don't tell him that he passes up too many looks as it is." Leon might be able to think his way around that play in real time, Yamo can't.

I have time for that disposition for an elite player like Leon, but I don't think that's the message that should be going to Yamo. As I mentioned in my previous post, I feel like the extreme lack of shooting from Leon is a newer phenomenon that hasn't helped him. He used to thrive off the quick release to the low corners of the net (in all situations, not just netside on the PP) and he made a living off of it. He just doesn't do that anymore. There are some nights now where it appears he just won't shoot at all unless it's the net side one timer.
Yamas summary fault as a topsix NHL forward is he doesn't have close to the talent to be playing there and has pretty much nothing of a shot. His shooting percentage is horrible whatever he does and his amount of shots is even worse. He's bad at getting open, bad at hitting target, and bad at surviving contact anywhere in scoring areas. Really at this level he doesn't have them. His most dangerous play is a deflection or empty net. Those combined represent around a third of his NHL goals.

Drai gets blanket coverage. Like McD does. Unlike McD drai is gifted with mortal speed, has less skill, and has less ability to carve D. His primary game is peripheral and finding plays from the periphery. He plays a pretty classic Euro setup game that way and its what he knows and has excelled at.

Drai has 148 SOG this season. 3 per game on average. He's in top 50 in league in SOG/G while being injured the whole time. How many shots you want him to take from the peripheral half boards where he has nothing to shoot at and pretty poor service to even be in a scoring position? The line had very little going. Even at that they had a goal called back.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yamas summary fault as a topsix NHL forward is he doesn't have close to the talent to be playing there and has pretty much nothing of a shot. His shooting percentage is horrible whatever he does and his amount of shots is even worse. He's bad at getting open, bat at hitting target, and bad at surviving contact anywhere in scoring areas. Really at this level he doesn't have them.

Drai gets blanket coverage. Like McD does. Unlike McD drai is gifted with mortal speed, has less skill, and has less ability to carve D. His primary game is peripheral and finding plays from the periphery. He plays a pretty classic Euro setup game that way and its what he knows and has excelled at.

Drai has 148 SOG this season. 3 per game on average. He's in top 50 in league in SOGG while being injured the whole time. How many shots you want him to take from the peripheral half boards where he has nothing to shoot at and pretty poor service to even be in a scoring position? The line had very little going. Even at that they had a goal called back.

I don't want him taking shots off the half wall, I want him shooting from within the circles where he has been constantly deferring this season. I would wager that 2 of those 3 shots per game on average are off the powerplay. Over the next few games watch how many shots he takes 5v5. Often it simply doesn't happen.

There was a stretch from mid-December to about mid-January this year where he didn't have a single goal 5v5. That just isn't possible for a player of his ability unless he's not shooting, and he hasn't been.

Someone with his scoring talent should be taking 5-7 shots more often than not. Kane does that. Hyman does that. He just won't.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't want him taking shots off the half wall, I want him shooting from within the circles where he has been constantly deferring this season. I would wager that 2 of those 3 shots per game on average are off the powerplay. Over the next few games watch how many shots he takes 5v5. Often it simply doesn't happen.

There was a stretch from mid-December to about mid-January this year where he didn't have a single goal 5v5. That just isn't possible for a player of his ability unless he's not shooting, and he hasn't been.

Someone with his scoring talent should be taking 5-7 shots per game. Kane does that. Hyman does that. He just won't.
Drai EV is seldom getting a pass between the circles with time. Its pretty simple as well that Drai when not playing with McD gets virtually negligible service in games. About the worst service any goal scorer gets.

Of course its possible for no scoring stretches to exist, its happened. Drai also has limited confidence shooting the puck this season and I suspect it could be due to the injury and his mechanics look impacted. Drai still comfortable from the one spot but its the only place he feels on. That happens to all players and Drai despite his lofty goal totals has not been a shoot from anywhere natural goal scorer.

Hyman takes too many shots. Sometimes he should defer. Most of Hymans "shots" are bangs around the crease. Thats his game. Such a role tends to get a lot of shots.

Kane has had 3.5 SOG/Game as an OIler. Not 5-7. Why invent stats to support an errant position?

In the time frame Kane has been here Drai has hade exactly as many shots/game than Kane has.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Drai EV is seldom getting a pass between the circles with time. Its pretty simple as well that Drai when not playing with McD gets virtually negligible service in games. About the worst service any goal scorer gets.

Of course its possible for no scoring stretches to exist, its happened. Drai also has limited confidence shooting the puck this season and I suspect it could be due to the injury and his mechanics look impacted. Drai still comfortable from the one spot but its the only place he feels on. That happens to all players and Drai despite his lofty goal totals has not been a shoot from anywhere natural goal scorer.

Hyman takes too many shots. Sometimes he should defer. Most of Hymans "shots" are bangs around the crease. Thats his game. Such a role tends to get a lot of shots.

Kane has had 3.5 SOG/Game as an OIler. Not 5-7. Why invent stats to support an errant position?

In the time frame Kane has been here Drai has hade exactly as many shots/game than Kane has.

This year alone Kane has eight games with 5 or more shots; Leon also has eight games with 5 or more despite playing more than double the amount of games Kane has. Hyman has 13 games with 5 or more shots. Kane (and Hyman) for that matter average about a full shot more per game this season than Drai does.

I shouldn't have said average (despite both players averaging more shots than Leon does), but my perception, which is supported by the numbers is that Kane and Hyman take much more of a shooting mentality into games than Drai does.

The only goal we scored last night was off of Kane firing it because there wasn't really another option and he scored. Leon would have 1000% pivoted and looked to reverse the puck on that play rather than shoot. Pucks go in for elite goal scorers, and I'm certain that Leon would score more if he would take more of a Kane like mentality to shots on goal.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

My point was more, that they need to sit him and let him recover then, as his play is actually hurting them right now. Being a brave soldier is wonderful, but the team should come first.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This year alone Kane has eight games with 5 or more shots; Leon also has eight games with 5 or more despite playing more than double the amount of games Kane has. Hyman has 13 games with 5 or more shots. Kane (and Hyman) for that matter average about a full shot more per game this season than Drai does.

I shouldn't have said average (despite both players averaging more shots than Leon does), but my perception, which is supported by the numbers is that Kane and Hyman take much more of a shooting mentality into games than Drai does.
Kane and DRai have exactly the same SOG/Game. Thats it, thats all. Sorry, you were wrong.

I pointed out why Hyman has more shots and what type they are. An actual heat diagram of where dRai has puck on his stick for how much time during EV play would show that these are very bad shooting places and outcomes. To wit he doesn't score from there and hasn't EV many times.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Kane and DRai have exactly the same SOG/Game. Thats it, thats all. Sorry, you were wrong.

I pointed out why Hyman has more shots and what type they are. An actual heat diagram of where dRai has puck on his stick for how much time during EV play would show that these are very bad shooting places and outcomes. To wit he doesn't score from there and hasn't EV many times.

I'll help you with the math.

In the 22-23 season Kane has 77 shots in 20 games for an average per game of 3.85 shots. In the same season, Leon has 148 shots in 50 games for an average per game of 2.96.

The whole way I've been talking about this season specifically, not sure why you're twisting the stats around to support an errant position?

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll help you with the math.

In the 22-23 season Kane has 77 shots in 20 games for an average per game of 3.85 shots. In the same season, Leon has 148 shots in 50 games for an average per game of 2.96.

The whole way I've been talking about this season specifically, not sure why you're twisting the stats around to support an errant position?
ffs you were the one saying Kane takes 5-7 shots per game and you're calling me out on a negligible difference? I didn't completely invent stats like you did.

Kane plays almost exclusively with McD EV, and has since he's been here. Of course he's taking more shots he gets better setups playing with the best player in hockey servicing him, than Drai gets from some of the clown wingers he gets on his own line.

Further Kane has hardly played this season and is fresh.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
ffs you were the one saying Kane takes 5-7 shots per game and you're calling me out on a negligible difference? I didn't completely invent stats like you did.

Kane plays almost exclusively with McD EV, and has since he's been here. Of course he's taking more shots he gets better setups playing with the best player in hockey servicing him, than Drai gets from some of the clown wingers he gets on his own line.

Further Kane has hardly played this season and is fresh.

Yes, and I corrected myself and then accurately showed that Hyman and Kane have games with high shot volume (over 5 per game) at a significantly higher clip than Drai does.

I don't really care what the excuse is why Kane and Hyman have more shots than Leon, my opinion is that he doesn't shoot enough and would be better suited to start taking that mentality to get his game back on track.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, and I corrected myself and then accurately showed that Hyman and Kane have games with high shot volume (over 5 per game) at a significantly higher clip than Drai does.

I don't really care what the excuse is why Kane and Hyman have more shots than Leon, my opinion is that he doesn't shoot enough and would be better suited to start taking that mentality to get his game back on track.
Thats fine. But it is moving goalposts. It isn't what we were talking about. Further Kane hasn't had enough games played for there to even an accurate indication yet of where that is headed.

But as I've stated playing almost all your EV time with the best player in hockey sure is a benefit. yeah it is for Leon too when he gets it. But WHEN Leon and Connor are together it looks different than in previous seasons because Connor McDavid has completely found his superstar scorer game. Also thanks to Drai telling him and reinforcing that he has that game, and helping to service that game. So that Drai EV goals have decreased while McD EV goals have drastically increased because McD is fullfilling that part of him owning hockey. That isn't a bad thing.

At the end of the day Drai outscoring McD, or even keeping anywhere close to him was never going to be ongoing.

Back to Drai I don't see him even being in position a lot, or open a lot, or serviced a lot to be taking a lot more quality shots. His goal scoring EV, which is minimal tend to emphasize this point.

its natural with the additions of skilled wingers like Hyman and Kane that the team shots would be spread out more as well as the production success and that Drai's own shots taken and goals scored would decline. This is what naturally occurs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thats fine. But it is moving goalposts. It isn't what we were talking about. Further Kane hasn't had enough games played for there to even an accurate indication yet of where that is headed.

But as I've stated playing almost all your EV time with the best player in hockey sure is a benefit. yeah it is for Leon too when he gets it. But WHEN Leon and Connor are together it looks different than in previous seasons because Connor McDavid has completely found his superstar scorer game. Also thanks to Drai telling him and reinforcing that he has that game, and helping to service that game. So that Drai EV goals have decreased while McD EV goals have drastically increased because McD is fullfilling that part of him owning hockey. That isn't a bad thing.

At the end of the day Drai outscoring McD, or even keeping anywhere close to him was never going to be ongoing.

Back to Drai I don't see him even being in position a lot, or open a lot, or serviced a lot to be taking a lot more quality shots. His goal scoring EV, which is minimal tend to emphasize this point.

its natural with the additions of skilled wingers like Hyman and Kane that the team shots would be spread out more as well as the production success and that Drai's own shots taken and goals scored would decline. This is what naturally occurs.

This speaks to him not moving his feet and driving north-south anymore. He limits his own opportunities by constantly stopping up, constantly deferring, constantly slowing the game down, etc. It's no wonder he isn't getting as many looks, they are all intertwined.

I've been a broken drum in saying that dominant Leon plays like a bull in a China shop with his feet pumping and driving into scoring lanes. That player has been near non-existent this season.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Even the best need to push the reset button once in awhile. For McDrai, it usually come when they are one (or zero) and done on most offensive forays, which is happening right now. Hero rushes and tic-tac-toes / cross seams are amazing, but, even for these guys, it will usually be the byproduct of other good offensive habits. Get the puck deep or to the net, get a cycle going, tire out the defenders to cause them to make mistakes.

The Flyers defense are not known for handling pressure with much aplomb. the Oilers offense decided not to test that out for themselves.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad