Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
93 is the most important piece to make the pp as effective as it is. when her was hurt last season the PP dropped something like 15% in that time. nuge can make passes not many people in the league can. you have to respect him as a shooter cause he can score with his perfectly placed wristshots. you cant let 97-29-2 shoot, you cant leave 93 open and hyman in front of the net is 50% a decoy and 50% a clean up in the event the shots dont go in. it might be the hardest PP to defend ive ever seen. each player can carve you up. Bouchard has a complete bomb but at teh same time he is an elite passer so you cant man to man anyone.

example if the canucks decided on the PK to man to man 97, nuge can do the same thing mcdavid does with that much space. 97 could skate into the corner on one side and just let the other 4 dummy them.
agreed 100%
SO many options with this PP. Sometimes when Im watching it, I feel we are the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
My big worry is that we come out bad in game 1 like Florida did tonight after a week off and Bruins having only a tiny break.
Like I've said Mcdavid came out and said breaks are bad for this team. (Maybe playoffs will be different with more focus)

Where this time off will really show is if we get to the 3rd round and face Dallas (especially if they go 7 again)

^ best possible scenario IMO

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
We always play like ass after a long break but Vancouver had almost the same time off so no excuses for rusty play.
Not true at all this season, only 1 loss after any lengthy time off and that was to Vegas coming out of an All Star break where they were on a 16 game winning streak.

Nov 30 -6 6-1 win
Dec 22-28 5-0 win
Jan 2-6 3-1 win
Apr 6-10. 5-1 win

They should be fully motivated to come out hard!

Just worry about game 1. If they win Game 1, then they have the chance to take both and really be in a stong position.
Naaaaa go in with the mindset of winning both games and don't settle for anything less.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think that taking a similar approach to Game 4 and 5 of the Kings series is a template to follow for Vancouver as well. The Predators did the same thing and basically eliminated any 5v5 Canuck offence, only problem is they had zero scoring ability the other way. We do though.

Nucks defend their blue line very well, and defend their crease very well. They beat teams by establishing cycle (not always a lot of shots, but cycle), then turning the puck back over in the neutral zone and trapping tired teams on the ice. Similar to LA, the key is breakout patience, not panicking if they establish a cycle (they don't often do much with them anyways) and sacrificing to get to the net. Also - shoot the puck for f*** sakes.

I have comfort knowing that we can play and win whatever style this series turns into. I think if we keep it low event it will put the odds very heavily in our favour.

Reactions: Kinibo and Oilhawks

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Is Connor Brown actually real? Or was he just an illusion Holland created to give himself an extra $4M on top of his $25M?
Remember that time he scored that goal?

1715096198728.gif

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
If there is any rust from the long break, I think it would only take one period for them to shake it off. Hopefully Stu can hold the fort.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
93 is the most important piece to make the pp as effective as it is. when her was hurt last season the PP dropped something like 15% in that time. nuge can make passes not many people in the league can. you have to respect him as a shooter cause he can score with his perfectly placed wristshots. you cant let 97-29-2 shoot, you cant leave 93 open and hyman in front of the net is 50% a decoy and 50% a clean up in the event the shots dont go in. it might be the hardest PP to defend ive ever seen. each player can carve you up. Bouchard has a complete bomb but at teh same time he is an elite passer so you cant man to man anyone.

example if the canucks decided on the PK to man to man 97, nuge can do the same thing mcdavid does with that much space. 97 could skate into the corner on one side and just let the other 4 dummy them.
Nuge is definitely important for the PP, but I think it's exaggerating to suggest that he's more important than McDavid and Draisaitl. There's nobody in the league that can replace what they do for the PP.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
same reasoning for me
How many times have a Leaf fans told us that McDavid dont wanna play in Edmonton and is bolting for Toronto. My answer was always " Yes, thats why he signed a big deal after his entry level deal and left money on the table.
The level of stupidity in that city is unreal. Hard to feel sorry for them. I hate the Jays as well
Same dumbass city that felt entitled to Ohtani and now boo him for never going there. Even though he was never going there.

Reactions: RegDunlop and TB12

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Same dumbass city that felt entitled to Ohtani and now boo him for never going there. Even though he was never going there.
I laugh at MLSE and Rogers
Leafs management had to make a decision a few years ago with Hyman and thankfully they made the wrong one. They built a very soft team under Shannaplan.
IMO, a great line has the 3S theory. Sandpaper, Sniper, Set-up man. I realized this back in the 70's with the Isles. They had a good team but couldnt get over the hump. Trade for Butch Goring and get Tonelli and Gilles in there and BAM, a dynasty.
What a line:
Sandpaper - Gilles
Set-up - Trottier
Sniper - Bossy

Jays are doing the same thing. Vladdy and Bichette could be Leafs IMO. Vladdy not running out hits, dumb plays and Bichette with the Fabio hair and earrings is your version of Marner and Matthews or Nylander.
Can you imagine going into the Yankees clubhouse with Vladdys attitude and Bichette's hair and earrings? George Costanza would lose it

Reactions: TheNumber4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad