Speculation: Oilers might have to sign an Emergency Back-Up Goalie

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Just to put it into perspective. The women's team plays against midget AAA boys to warm up. Joke all you want about the Oilers, but Midget AAA isn't even close to the calibre of the NHL. If by chance she did make it in she'd be a laughing stock.

So if Ottawa had her in goal tonight then it would similar.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
You guys are getting worked up about nothing. Fasth will be here no reason to think he won't.
ibmr7tUxBqOm6s.png

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
Don't see why Fasth can't make it. It's what a 3 hour flight Max from LA? Games not till 7 so still lots of time to get him to the Airport and up here considering he probably knew 2 hours ago.

"Fasth is here! The plane to Edmonton can leave now!"

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 19s
With Fasth arriving later today, #TeamCanada gold medal goalie @ShannonSzabados to practice w/ #Oilers this morning. pic.twitter.com/zptFWKPTv0

We did it! #SzabadosForBackup!

:laugh:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 19s
With Fasth arriving later today, #TeamCanada gold medal goalie @ShannonSzabados to practice w/ #Oilers this morning. pic.twitter.com/zptFWKPTv0

We did it! #SzabadosForBackup!

:laugh:

Good Publicity stunt. I would love to see her get half of an exhibition game somewhere next season

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
they just need to stick her in one game and see what happens, can you imagine if she actually played well! can you imagine the hype! and she can share the girls locker room with Gagner ;)

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
This board is funny sometimes....Management gets ripped for letting a slug like Duby hang around now they get ripped for not letting an unqualified goalie take up space. They are ripped for being bush league but when they refuse to pull a publicity stunt are ripped for not doing it ..... can they ever really win around here? ****in ridiculous....:shakehead

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This board is funny sometimes....Management gets ripped for letting a slug like Duby hang around now they get ripped for not letting an unqualified goalie take up space. They are ripped for being bush league but when they refuse to pull a publicity stunt are ripped for not doing it ..... can they ever really win around here? ****in ridiculous....:shakehead

They can't really win anywhere.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

No need to be a drama queen.

There isn't a single person in here ripping the Oilers for not having Szabados as the back-up in last night's game.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
No need to be a drama queen.

There isn't a single person in here ripping the Oilers for not having Szabados as the back-up in last night's game.

Haha... ya went off a little there.... read a comment by torch and another about this publicity stunt being a good idea. Figured this thread was a Szabodos love in and another excuse to rip management a new one from the other side. In any event it should have been a non issue. Clearly management is feeling pressure to placate the masses seeing as they have her at practice. This management team needs no part in any kind of side show at this point because you just know it's going to be used to rip them in the future. MacT seemed to handle the situation pretty well.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
Haha... ya went off a little there.... read a comment by torch and another about this publicity stunt being a good idea. Figured this thread was a Szabodos love in and another excuse to rip management a new one from the other side. In any event it should have been a non issue. Clearly management is feeling pressure to placate the masses seeing as they have her at practice. This management team needs no part in any kind of side show at this point because you just know it's going to be used to rip them in the future. MacT seemed to handle the situation pretty well.

yeah it sounds like Mact decided to appease the masses ,nothing wrong with this, though it would have been a better story if she was on the bench last night.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Good Publicity stunt. I would love to see her get half of an exhibition game somewhere next season

That'd be cool to see, but the Oil don't exactly have the most structure in the crease right now. The staff will probably want to see all their options as much as possible during the preseason, so giving her half a game would take away time actually needed to evaluate.

On the business side though, it certainly would increase ticket sales/entertainment value for these pointless games. Since we have so much youth, though, we already have lots of newbies to watch closely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad