Player Discussion Oiler's Mid-Season grades

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
I know this is a little early for this but I had a little time to spare before the game tonight at Winnipeg and wanted to share my opinions and hear what everyone felt the group on ice has done so far. Keep in mind these are just my personal opinions nothing more as I wanted to contribute a little more to the board.

(im gonna grade players based on how i feel they matched up to their expectations coming into the year)

Studs:
Mcdavid
- A+ Its hard to fault McDavid for how this season has gone, despite being on a team that has been under-preforming massively he is still tops in the league in scoring despite having the double sickness.Oilers still rise and fall with their captain.Only knock is everyone on PP1 needs to figure out what is going on and he is still a part of that.

Draisaitl-B+ he keeps showing flashes of that dominant 1b center we saw in the playoffs last year, but wasn't consistent enough at the beginning of the year. however really has turned on lately and i love the khaira-strome wings with him.

RNH- A One of the bigger surprises so far. I felt he was due for a bounce back season but he is playing like a core important piece. much better than the 6M$ filler that everyone thought we were gonna have for a year before dumping at the draft.

Lucic- B+ starting to gain some reach chemistry with McD and is showing up alot more, moving his feet as well as being that physical presence we needed. he still sometimes has stone hands and makes some real gafs in the neutral/d zone.

Khaira-A+ I didn't even really think he was going to assert himself into the roster this year, but he has been a real revelation this year, skates hard, physical on the fore-check and back-check, and has surprisingly good hands this kid is a real player.

Nurse- A I love the way he has played this year, i always felt he had some real potential and he really stepped up so far, he is in a little bit of a slump currently but is still leaps and bounds above where he was last year.

Russell- A- Guy is still a warrior, he has gotten a little more offensive jump in him this year while still being that shot blocking monster, and also i think has allowed nurse to play with that extra step this year, not having to cover for benning.

Middle of the pack:

Strome- B I think strome has done decently well this year. he is still on pace for around 40~ points which isnt much different than what people should expect IMO. Eberle lighting it up with barzal makes it look worse than it is.

Pizza-B I love the way this kid plays, he still handles the puck like a grenade in the neutral zone, but he is starting to adjust and show flashes of why he was so highly touted. PP1 PLS

Kassian- B- has flashes of playoff kassian, but has lost some of that physical edge that makes him him, cause of trying to make ref's ignore the name on the back of the jersey.

Cammalleri- C+ he tries but dosen't really do alot, and he is slow as molasses but he has done more than jokinen sooo....

Auvitu- C+ guy has some decent offensive potential, and can get the puck on net and i swear every game he created a odd man rush for us but its like having a forward playing D when he is on the ice.

Larsson- B the fall of Klefbom really hurt his numbers offensively, but he is still that physical defensive stalwart we needed.

Slepyshev- B- While i feel waivers is the biggest reason he hasn't been playing lately over a couple other suspect players, He also really didn't stand out or force the coaches/management to play him either. Still a better player than his numbers show but could be better.

Davidson- B this guy is so hard to rate for me, he slid back into the d corps and was the reason Gryba is gone (bless) but he also makes ALOT of mistakes so far. He still has stud 3rd pairing potential though and is still miles better than what we had but that Wednesday Winnipeg game still stings.

Talbot- B Hard to really rate talbot other than average here He was a tire fire to start the season but has been the same old dadbot we had last year in the past month. He needs to play the way he has been to have any hopeof salvaging the season.

Letestu- B I'm gonna give Letestu a B on the season, as he is the main reason why i feel our power play is actually terrible , guy cant handle the puck or shoot, when on the power play. But as a 4th line center i think he is tops in the league. a real jekyll and hyde.

The Dissapointments:

Maroon- C
really lost his funk at the beginning of the year, demoted off Mcd Wing wasn't skating and became our new pouliot. He still puts up points though but is still a disappointment this year so far.

Klefbom- C- the biggest disappointment in my eyes this year, I really thought he was going to break out and become the #1 D he showed he was capable of playing at last year, barely has played like a top 4 this year However seems to be coming around the corner lately.

Brossoit- C+ I am biased when it comes to this kid as i watched him during his juniors in the oil kings, but he still let in alot of muffins and needs to be better if he wants to be in the NHL. potential is still there but you gotta start wondering if/when it will show.

Caggiula- C- i had real hopes for this kid, i really thought he could become our gallagher-lite but he really has struggled this year, and hasnt really provided much of anything. I still see hustle out there, he skates and hits but he is a black hole on offence and wasn't much for d to begin with.

Benning- C Its hard to really fault the kid as i felt he was thrust into a top 4 role when he was just really getting settled into a 6th D and flourishing there. This grade is as much on chia as it is Benning as he was really set up to fail, but he also looks like he took a step back due to this.

Good Riddance:

Gryba-
D Guy was a good locker room guy just off his personality, but its clear he isnt a NHL D man.

Last edited:
Reactions: thadd

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
A's
McDavid, Nurse, RNH, Lucic

B's
Draisailt, Pulju, Russel, Talbot, Khaira, Kassian

C's
Strome, Larsson, Klefbom, Maroon, Benning, Letestu, Cammalleri

D's
Brossoit, Caggiula, Slepyshev

Reactions: Dan Kelly

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
McDavid, Talbot, RNH (nice surprise) are great. Team is solid at center (if nowhere else).

Draisaitl, Strome, Khaira, Nurse, Puljujarvi, Sekera (all of 4 games) are fine. Some of you are hard on Strome, but I like him -- starting to come around, it takes a while. Khaira is a minor revelation so far. Nurse tries his hardest, makes some mental errors, but looks like he's gonna be solid. Puljujarvi is a budding 40-goal scorer (and thank God because nobody else on the team can shoot the puck). Sekera is rock solid.

Everybody else (incl. Lucic) is disappointing and is not good enough. I personally don't get why Lucic's inability to hit the broad side of a barn with his repeated shots from the blue line gets rewarded with 1st-line duty. Larsson is a great player at his best, but he hasn't been good enough. Kelfbom is a disappointment (they seemed to play better when he was injured.)

Unfortunately, Gryba and Benning are not NHL players (as Benning reminds us in tonight's game). They both need to stay out of the line-up, but unfortunately McLellan seems to have some sort of love-affair with Benning, for reasons known only to him.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
A - Mcdavid, Nuge, Nurse (in terms of expectations)

B - Drai, Lucic, Pulju, Khaira

C - Talbot, Larson, Russell, Letestu

D - probably everyone else other then...

F - Woodcroft

Side note: C meaning meeting expectations.

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
Right i forgot how school works. for some reason i made B meeting expectations .

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
A's | RNH, Nurse, McDavid

B's | Khaira, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Draisaitl, Russell

C's | Larsson, Talbot, Strome, Maroon, Calamari, Kassian

D's | Klefbom, Letestu, Caggiula, Slepyshev

F's | Benning, Brossoit (neither are NHL players)

Y's | Chia

Z's | McLellan, Woodcroft, Johnson

Can't be ranked's | Sekera

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Like I said before, nobody on this team deserves higher than a B and that includes McDavid. Nurse has exceeded expectations. Nuge has been a bit better. EVERYBODY ELSE has taken a step back this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
B+ : McDavid, RNH (memo to McDavid, learn how to shoot kid, yes I'm docking you marks for that)

B- : Draisaitl, Nurse, Puljujarvi, Khaira

C: Russell, Lucic, Letestu, Maroon, Larsson

C-: Talbot

Everyone else: failing grade. F- for Chiarelli, F for the McLellan, F- for his assistants.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Across the board.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.PNG
    IMG_1196.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 2

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I might do a longer write up in the morning...

No one gets a pure A on a bottom 5 team.

A-/B+ (the good): McDavid, RNH, Drai, Nurse, Khaira, Larsson, Lucic, Puljujarvi

B- (the meh's): Russell, Maroon, Kassian, Davidson

C/C- (the zeros; the good and bad more or less cancel out): Caggiula, Strome, Slepyshev, Cammy, Talbot, Auvitu

F (the you've done more to hurt than help the team): Letestu, Klefbom, Brossoit, Benning, Gryba, coaching (near all aspects)

N/A: Sekera

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I know this is a little early for this but I had a little time to spare before the game tonight at Winnipeg and wanted to share my opinions and hear what everyone felt the group on ice has done so far. Keep in mind these are just my personal opinions nothing more as I wanted to contribute a little more to the board.

(im gonna grade players based on how i feel they matched up to their expectations coming into the year)

Studs:
Mcdavid
- A+ Its hard to fault McDavid for how this season has gone, despite being on a team that has been under-preforming massively he is still tops in the league in scoring despite having the double sickness.Oilers still rise and fall with their captain.Only knock is everyone on PP1 needs to figure out what is going on and he is still a part of that.

Draisaitl-B+ he keeps showing flashes of that dominant 1b center we saw in the playoffs last year, but wasn't consistent enough at the beginning of the year. however really has turned on lately and i love the khaira-strome wings with him.

RNH- A One of the bigger surprises so far. I felt he was due for a bounce back season but he is playing like a core important piece. much better than the 6M$ filler that everyone thought we were gonna have for a year before dumping at the draft.

Lucic- B+ starting to gain some reach chemistry with McD and is showing up alot more, moving his feet as well as being that physical presence we needed. he still sometimes has stone hands and makes some real gafs in the neutral/d zone.

Khaira-A+ I didn't even really think he was going to assert himself into the roster this year, but he has been a real revelation this year, skates hard, physical on the fore-check and back-check, and has surprisingly good hands this kid is a real player.

Nurse- A I love the way he has played this year, i always felt he had some real potential and he really stepped up so far, he is in a little bit of a slump currently but is still leaps and bounds above where he was last year.

Russell- A- Guy is still a warrior, he has gotten a little more offensive jump in him this year while still being that shot blocking monster, and also i think has allowed nurse to play with that extra step this year, not having to cover for benning.

Middle of the pack:

Strome- B I think strome has done decently well this year. he is still on pace for around 40~ points which isnt much different than what people should expect IMO. Eberle lighting it up with barzal makes it look worse than it is.

Pizza-B I love the way this kid plays, he still handles the puck like a grenade in the neutral zone, but he is starting to adjust and show flashes of why he was so highly touted. PP1 PLS

Kassian- B- has flashes of playoff kassian, but has lost some of that physical edge that makes him him, cause of trying to make ref's ignore the name on the back of the jersey.

Cammalleri- C+ he tries but dosen't really do alot, and he is slow as molasses but he has done more than jokinen sooo....

Auvitu- C+ guy has some decent offensive potential, and can get the puck on net and i swear every game he created a odd man rush for us but its like having a forward playing D when he is on the ice.

Larsson- B the fall of Klefbom really hurt his numbers offensively, but he is still that physical defensive stalwart we needed.

Slepyshev- B- While i feel waivers is the biggest reason he hasn't been playing lately over a couple other suspect players, He also really didn't stand out or force the coaches/management to play him either. Still a better player than his numbers show but could be better.

Davidson- B this guy is so hard to rate for me, he slid back into the d corps and was the reason Gryba is gone (bless) but he also makes ALOT of mistakes so far. He still has stud 3rd pairing potential though and is still miles better than what we had but that Chicago game still stings.

Talbot- B Hard to really rate talbot other than average here He was a tire fire to start the season but has been the same old dadbot we had last year in the past month. He needs to play the way he has been to have any hopeof salvaging the season.

Letestu- B I'm gonna give Letestu a B on the season, as he is the main reason why i feel our power play is actually terrible , guy cant handle the puck or shoot, when on the power play. But as a 4th line center i think he is tops in the league. a real jekyll and hyde.

The Dissapointments:

Maroon- C
really lost his funk at the beginning of the year, demoted off Mcd Wing wasn't skating and became our new pouliot. He still puts up points though but is still a disappointment this year so far.

Klefbom- C- the biggest disappointment in my eyes this year, I really thought he was going to break out and become the #1 D he showed he was capable of playing at last year, barely has played like a top 4 this year However seems to be coming around the corner lately.

Brossoit- C+ I am biased when it comes to this kid as i watched him during his juniors in the oil kings, but he still let in alot of muffins and needs to be better if he wants to be in the NHL. potential is still there but you gotta start wondering if/when it will show.

Caggiula- C- i had real hopes for this kid, i really thought he could become our gallagher-lite but he really has struggled this year, and hasnt really provided much of anything. I still see hustle out there, he skates and hits but he is a black hole on offence and wasn't much for d to begin with.

Benning- C Its hard to really fault the kid as i felt he was thrust into a top 4 role when he was just really getting settled into a 6th D and flourishing there. This grade is as much on chia as it is Benning as he was really set up to fail, but he also looks like he took a step back due to this.

Good Riddance:

Gryba-
D Guy was a good locker room guy just off his personality, but its clear he isnt a NHL D man.

Interesting comment on Davidson regarding the Chicago game, considering he didn't play in it.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
A Nurse McDavid
B Nuge Pulju Drai
C Kharia Letest Sekera Russel Lucic Larsson
D Maroon Strome Davidson
F Klefbom Talbot Drake Sleppy Benning Kassian Cammi LB

McDavid top 5 in points, Nurse exceding his expectations

Nuge Pulju and Drai having good but not good enough seasons to make the A list. They are playing where they should be so far.

The C group neeed more out of every player.

D group need way more.

F speak for themselves, playing so far away from their potential. Some lazy, some dumb.

Reactions: Aerrol

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t believe anyone on this team deserves anything higher than a B+ given where we are at including McDavid. Also for me it’s who regressed and context is who improved from last season versus expectations.

Improved or same -Last Year/Current
Puljujarvi D / B
Nurse C+ / B
RNH B - / B +
Lucic B- / B-
Khaira C+ / B-

Regressed - Last Year/Current
McDavid A+ / B+
Draisatl A+ / B-
Talbot A+ / C+
Larsson A / C+
Klefbom A / C-
Maroon A- / C+
Letestu B + / C +
Kassian B + / C
Russell B+ / B-
Cagguilla B- / D
Slepyshev B- / D
Benning C+ / D -
Broissoit C / F
Strome - expected a B / C -
Auvitu - expected a D / C+
Cammelleri - expected a C / C-
Davidson - expected a D / C+
Sekera A- / cannot rate

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
A - McDavid, RNH, Nurse
B - Larsson, Lucic, Draisaitl, Khaira, Puljujarvi
C - Pretty Much everyone else, including Talbot.
D - Benning, Caggiula, Slepyshev
F - Gryba, Brossoit

Did not qualify - Chiarelli. You actually have to do something to qualify.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
A - Nurse, RNH, McDavid
B - Russell, Puljujarvi, Khaira, Draisaitl
C - Lucic, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Auvitu
D - Caggiula, Strome, Kelfbom, Letestu, Kassian
F - Benning, Brossoit, Cap Space.

*Unable to grade/Not worth grading - Slepyshev, Cammalleri, Sekera.

Coaching staff gets a failing grade obviously.
The biggest f***ing failure of all though is Chiarelli. What a goof.

Biggest disappointments for me - Kassian and Brossoit.
Biggest surprises for me - RNH and Khaira.
Guys you just knew sucked before the first puck even dropped - Caggiula and Benning.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How does Nuge get a higher rating that Draisaitl in every one of the above report cards and yet drai statistically is better in every category and every year he's played hockey? Plus that Drai has been put into the position of having to carry players whereas Nuges gets accomplished topsix vets like Lucic and Maroon to alternately work with. Drai is even getting harder minutes and yet again last night was out against the Jets topline to try to shutdown while playing with Strome, Khaira, Sekera, and Benning.

Its uncanny. Do people think, seriously, nuge is better or is this some weird rating scale that is based on expectation rather than pure results?

In any standardized test Drai is better.

btw How does Nuge go from being 53% on the faceoff dot this season, to being 27%, 10% and 25% in his last 3 games? Is he really this casual about his game that he thinks he can plumb those faceoff depths and think nobody notices or that it doesn't matter? he's now back at 49% on the year, first year he's been over 50 ever, but that number is plummeting.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I terms of how I expected they would be (relatively in order):

A:
-Nurse
-RNH
-Puljujarvi
-McDavid
-Lucic

B:
-Draisaitl
-Khaira
-Russell

C:
-Larsson
-Talbot
-Strome
-Auvitu
-Letestu
-Kassian
-Maroon
-Cammaleri
-Caggiula

D:
-Klefbom
-Benning
-Grbya

F:
-Brossoit

Small sample size rating:
Sekera = B
Davidson = B
Slepyshev = C/D

McLellan & Co.: F
Chiarelli & Co.: F

Chia made downgrades in the off-season to save cap-space (Eberle to Strome, Pouliot to Jokinen/Cammaleri) and didn't even use the f***ing free cap space he had.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid, Talbot, RNH (nice surprise) are great. Team is solid at center (if nowhere else).

Draisaitl, Strome, Khaira, Nurse, Puljujarvi, Sekera (all of 4 games) are fine. Some of you are hard on Strome, but I like him -- starting to come around, it takes a while. Khaira is a minor revelation so far. Nurse tries his hardest, makes some mental errors, but looks like he's gonna be solid. Puljujarvi is a budding 40-goal scorer (and thank God because nobody else on the team can shoot the puck). Sekera is rock solid.

Everybody else (incl. Lucic) is disappointing and is not good enough. I personally don't get why Lucic's inability to hit the broad side of a barn with his repeated shots from the blue line gets rewarded with 1st-line duty. Larsson is a great player at his best, but he hasn't been good enough. Kelfbom is a disappointment (they seemed to play better when he was injured.)

Unfortunately, Gryba and Benning are not NHL players (as Benning reminds us in tonight's game). They both need to stay out of the line-up, but unfortunately McLellan seems to have some sort of love-affair with Benning, for reasons known only to him.
Talbot is not great this year, hes been garbage

Reactions: shoop

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How does Nuge get a higher rating that Draisaitl in every one of the above report cards and yet drai statistically is better in every category and every year he's played hockey? Plus that Drai has been put into the position of having to carry players whereas Nuges gets accomplished topsix vets like Lucic and Maroon to alternately work with. Drai is even getting harder minutes and yet again last night was out against the Jets topline to try to shutdown while playing with Strome, Khaira, Sekera, and Benning.

Its uncanny. Do people think, seriously, nuge is better or is this some weird rating scale that is based on expectation rather than pure results?

In any standardized test Drai is better.

btw How does Nuge go from being 53% on the faceoff dot this season, to being 27%, 10% and 25% in his last 3 games? Is he really this casual about his game that he thinks he can plumb those faceoff depths and think nobody notices or that it doesn't matter? he's now back at 49% on the year, first year he's been over 50 ever, but that number is plummeting.

Points involving McDavid:

Nuge 1

Draisaitl 18

In fact if you want the full story:

Points with Draisaitl:

McDavid 18, Lucic 7, Maroon 6, Strome 5, Khaira 4, Nurse, RNH 3, Benning, Russell, Auvitu 2, Letestu, Klefbom, Davidson 1

Points with Nuge:

Maroon 9, Lucic 7, Russell 5, Strome, Cammalleri 4, Nurse, Benning, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi 3, Caggiula, Kassian, Slepyshev2, Larsson, McDavid, Klefbom and Sekera 1

This would seem to completely invalidate your entire position but as usual that will not matter in the slightest. So carry on

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Studs:
Mcdavid

Middle of the pack:

Davidson- B this guy is so hard to rate for me, he slid back into the d corps and was the reason Gryba is gone (bless) but he also makes ALOT of mistakes so far. He still has stud 3rd pairing potential though and is still miles better than what we had but that Wednesday Winnipeg game still stings.

The Dissapointments:

Maroon- C

Good Riddance:

Gryba-

How do you get so many A grades on a non playoff team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad