Friedman: Oilers may look to trade Brandon Davidson

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Davidson for Girgensons+?

Genuinely interested in Davidson but no clue what kind of value he has.

He's 25 year old 4/5 dman (he was viewed as a top 4 dman by NHL executives last year). His upside isn't crazy high, but he's very reliable. If you guys would swap Fayne and Franson, that's probably fair

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I question what kind of value Davidson actually has. I'd rather hold onto Davidson and risk losing him in the expansion draft than trade him for a crappy pick/prospect and then lose someone else in the expansion draft.

Either way the Oilers are going to lose a player. If they aren't getting good value back for Davidson, they're effectively just losing two.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I question what kind of value Davidson actually has. I'd rather hold onto Davidson and risk losing him in the expansion draft than trade him for a crappy pick/prospect and then lose someone else in the expansion draft.

Either way the Oilers are going to lose a player. If they aren't getting good value back for Davidson, they're effectively just losing two.

I agree that trading him for next to nothing is not a good move. The Oilers will need to lose someone. If the Oilers were to trade Davidson for a lower pick and then LV took someone like Khaira rather than Pouliot that does not make you better. No chance I would trade Khaira right now for a second rounder. The Oilers need cheap homegrown NHL'ers to manage their cap over the next few years. If teams value Davidson as a legitimate NHL defender then maybe a trade makes sense.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Lazar + Borowiecki

for

Davidson + Lander/Hendricks

Am I way off??

Lander and Hendricks are not interchangeable. But as much as I liked Lazar as a Junior I would not touch this trade. The Oilers have no need fro Borowiecki given their LHD depth on the back end. Lazar would not play right now over any of the current RW's.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

This. A prospect with a low percentage of ever becoming an NHL regular or mid round pick seems dumb.

If we can't get a veteran 3rd line C or winger at the very least, just hang on to him. Giving Davidson away and then losing another player at the expansion draft would be worse than just hanging on to him and if Vegas takes him, they take him.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lazar + Borowiecki

for

Davidson + Lander/Hendricks

Am I way off??

Mark Borowiecki might be the worst player in the National Hockey League today. He's the reason Ottawa would have interest in a guy like Davidson.

I like Nick Paul, let's keep it nice and simple.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree that trading him for next to nothing is not a good move. The Oilers will need to lose someone. If the Oilers were to trade Davidson for a lower pick and then LV took someone like Khaira rather than Pouliot that does not make you better. No chance I would trade Khaira right now for a second rounder. The Oilers need cheap homegrown NHL'ers to manage their cap over the next few years. If teams value Davidson as a legitimate NHL defender then maybe a trade makes sense.

Davidson is worth far more to the Oilers as expansion draft fodder....they have to expose and potentially lose somebody.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Davidson is worth far more to the Oilers as expansion draft fodder....they have to expose and potentially lose somebody.

If they could lose Pouliot rather than Davidson I think everyone would be happy. BUt to do that it would take a pretty big carrot to LV to make it happen.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Not really sure that's the case, he's the 7th D if everyone is healthy, and only is a low cap number for another year.

Last year we had a bad team, so comparatively he did pretty well, but he's only been average this year, though the injury has something to do with that.

Benning has passed him by and will be the cost effective D next year. Oesterle seems a good inexpensive backup option too.

If we're talking about replacing Gryba or Fayne or filling in for injury, sure he's a good option, but our top six look pretty set for next year barring a big trade.

I wouldn't keep Reinhart over Davidson, though, and I doubt Vegas would either, which is the crux.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Davidson for Girgensons+?

Genuinely interested in Davidson but no clue what kind of value he has.

I think this could be beneficial for he Sabres and Oilers. If Girgs can't turn it around here then it makes sense to flip him for a reliable #4 defenseman, which is our biggest position of need.

What's the expansion draft situation for forwards in Edmonton, though? Doesn't make sense to give up Davidson because you can't protect him, to only not be able to protect the guy you traded for.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think this could be beneficial for he Sabres and Oilers. If Girgs can't turn it around here then it makes sense to flip him for a reliable #4 defenseman, which is our biggest position of need.

What's the expansion draft situation for forwards in Edmonton, though? Doesn't make sense to give up Davidson because you can't protect him, to only not be able to protect the guy you traded for.

Assuming the Oilers go 7+3+1

Draisaitl
RNH
Lucic
Eberle
Maroon

Would be the only "must protect" forwards. Then there are guys like Letestu, Pouliot, Kassian and a prospect or two like Khaira and Pitlick. The Oilers would have room to add a forward or two to their protection list if they were the right fit.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

If the Oilers go with 7-3-1 to protect then they'll be fine. Trading Davidson for a forward who will fit in the long-term picture would probably be the best path for the Oilers.

1. Lucic
2. Eberle
3. RNH
4. Draisaitl
5. Maroon
6. Letestu
7. Girgensons

1. Klefbom
2. Larsson
3. Sekera

1. Talbot

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Mark Borowiecki might be the worst player in the National Hockey League today. He's the reason Ottawa would have interest in a guy like Davidson.

I like Nick Paul, let's keep it nice and simple.

I said this earlier:
Lazar, Claesson, 5th
For
Davidson, 7th, random AHL roster player

Or Swap Lazar for Nick Paul, and take away the picks.

I am one of those people with more than 1 team. Ottawa is my #1, but I a big Oilers and Flyers fan too. I think Paul + Claesson for Davidson and a random AHL player with no NHL value makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad