Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose to Preds 2-0, Haven't Scored in Years

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think it's time for them to watch the other Todd from Saskatchewan's power play, the one that actually worked with this crew.

In fairness, the "Other Todd" had Eberle on his PP. Eberle is the one who makes this PP go. They have no shooters outside of him. Was sort of hoping that Slepy would step into that role but he's been fairly disappointing although that might be too much to ask from a rookie.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I think the Oilers have played well in both games.

With another new coach and alot different lineup, you cant really expect instant success.

The systems look good, goalie looks good, and once the players grow into the system they will start getting results.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I find to start this year to be different than others, as..when the Oilers would come out and win their first few, there would be the "yes, we're winning, but I don't like how we're winning".. remember those?

on the flip side, I actually expected losses to start the year, but came away rather impressed with how the team was playing...IMO the Oilers looked a team that belonged with St.Louis, and Nashville regardless of losing.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
The problem EVERYTIME can not be the coach's systems. The only thing consistent the last few years for the Oilers is the players. They need to be pro players, not junior players.
The Oilers need consistency in coaching and not a new coach every season The Oilers have had 5 coaches in 6 seasons. How is that consistency in coaching.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
No wins yet, but I like what I see. They've played two strong teams and weren't completely and utterly dominated like have been in recent years. Good goaltending is a refreshing change, and the problems on the offence seem like they can be addressed by implementing a few tweaks, rather than a wholesale burn-it-to-the-ground approach.

Give them 10 games or so to gel and find a groove. Notwithstanding the early losses, I think the org may have finally turned a corner.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
We wont know what we have with the team this year until 20 games in or so, no point in overreacting to two losses against two of the top 3 teams in the western conference last year. These results arent a huge surprise even if we have taken a big step forward. We have several rookies, a new coach, a reworked but still sub par defence, we will struggle through parts of this season.

Many of us said it was premature to heap praise on Mclellan when the team looked good in the preseason, it's likewise to early to crap on the team and the coach for these two losses. Hopefully they show some fortitude and they fight through the hardships they're facing early this season. In years past they'd crumble and we'd go on a long losing streak and be out of the playoffs by November. Hopefully we're past that. We all knew the team still had problems, we should have known the d was a work in progress.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
The problem is some people were expecting immediate results, probably due to McDavid hype, blowing unstructured part-AHL teams away in pre-season and the wave of optimism at having competant management.

The coaches and the management never said this would be a fast process, they said it will take time. So you can't blame them.

I'm happy with the progress they have shown so far. I'm not happy with the results or the individual performances but I expected that. Other people need to do the same. I know I know, you've heard the same things before and I get that. I've felt exactly the same maybe the past 7 years. But look at the people we have in charge now, look at the potential of the roster. It's not a bad situation.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
People need to have more faith in McLellan. He will get this group going in the right direction, but it will take a bit of time. We're only 2 games in against 2 of the best defensive teams in the league. Have a little patience. We have the best coach and management group since Sather. Let's wait and see where we are after 20 games. I think most will be pleasantly surprised.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Damn Pittsburgh has scored 1 goal in 2 games with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist and Perron on the roster. So sad those guys have thrown away the season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Damn Pittsburgh has scored 1 goal in 2 games with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist and Perron on the roster. So sad those guys have thrown away the season.

Too bad they also play in a much weaker conference than ours. ;) Not to mention have made the playoffs the last number of years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I fully expected losses to STL and NAS, what I didn't expect was the lack of offence or how good Talbot was going to be. I've been impressed with how the team was playing near the same level as the Blues and Predators and really only lost in regulation due to goals scored by an Oiler making a huge error. If the team keeps playing like this the wins will start coming. I think my biggest concern is who's on each PP unit, very unbalanced right now and the 1st unit has zero threat from the point.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

Against who?

The best the West has to offer defensively: The Dallas Stars and the Arizona Coyotes.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Look who they lost to as well. Arizona and Dallas.

The Kings look like a disaster early on as well.

Small sample sizes are beautiful!

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
I'm not worried. The game against St. Louis wasn't anything special but they were the better team against Nashville. We have a great goalie and the goals will come. Chill out ppl damn.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Problem is, there's some who are just reveling in confirmation bias.

This topic especially right now.

But, on the other hand. It's not just 2 games, it's 500 games of losing. I understand a little impatience.

I'm torn on how to feel, but it does feel pretty silly to see people panic.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I'm glad fans are liking Gryba. He was good in Ottawa but was a bit of a scapegoat. He's never going to really impress you and he's going to make some bad mistakes but he can eat up a lot of tough minutes.

One of my pet peeves is when fans get on the sixth D for the odd brain cramp, or lack of foot speed, or not having a clue what to do with the puck.

He's the sixth D. If he didn't have brain cramps, if he had foot speed, if he knew what to do with the puck... He wouldn't be the sixth D.

Gryba, from what I saw in Ottawa and am seeing here so far, brings size, some grit and a fairly low risk, low panic game. Great. If he throws an odd dirty hit or stands up for some of his smaller teammates, then he's perfect in that role.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
The outcomes, and the performance of the team, are pretty much what I expected. It is one thing to feel wildly optimistic about the team, but it is another to expect that to be instantly fulfilled on the ice. It simply isn't going to happen like that.

Of the bottom 5 teams from last season, only Arizona is getting wins at the moment. Be realistic.

Jun 9, 2011
McDavid plays better as the game goes on. That points to nerves, imo, so it's easily resolved, experience. Yak looks good with McDavid, bring back Drai or put Slepy with them, Pouliot is ok, but he is needed on the top line with RNH and Ebs. That's a lot of inexperience, but it seemed to work.
I like Reinhart and he seems pretty calm back there. Ference can't play in a 50/50 split with Reinhart.
Goaltending is improved. Mr Gazdic has improved. Schultz has improved. Hall is warming up game by game. Ebs will be back.
It's gonna be a great year!

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
On a serious note, LT looked at the box score and did some Corsi and ZS for the D-man last night.

Klefbom-Schultz had the hardest minutes and zone starts last night...and then proceeded to come out ahead on most occasions (highest corsi for the team). It'll be interesting to see if this can continue, but that's a positive sign. Thus far he seems completely different than the player many were happy to jettison for nothing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Can't understate how little development this team had over the last 2 years. Even the time with Nelson was just spent trying to get players heads back to where they were around the 12/13 season. No one on our team really learned anything the last 2 seasons, all they got was someone telling them to do the opposite of what their instincts were telling them was right.

If this team was properly managed the last 2 years, we would be much further along in the development of guys like Hall/Nuge/Ebs, but it just did not happen that way. Thanks to Nelson we are at least kind of back to where we were when we finished the 12/13 season. We have some extra awesome young players added to the mix, but they don't really have a clue yet either about what it takes to win in the NHL. Gonna have to keep waiting a bit longer until they all figure it out together with the help of an experienced coach staff. At the very least, I think we can be confident now that it will happen in time.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
In fairness, the "Other Todd" had Eberle on his PP. Eberle is the one who makes this PP go. They have no shooters outside of him. Was sort of hoping that Slepy would step into that role but he's been fairly disappointing although that might be too much to ask from a rookie.

I also seem to recall that it took the other Todd a little while to get the PP clicking again as well. I genuinely think that Mclellan and co. are still in the feeling out process with the players here and learning how best to utilize them. He's talked a lot about how it's a long process and they have to start from the beginning and there's no skipping ahead to the end so I'm not so worried just yet. They've looked OK defensively and have been in games, you can see some structure there, eventually the rest will come just have to be patient, which is the absolute last thing a lot of people want to do.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think we look better this year but finish 26th

Only teams worse...Toronto, Carolina, NJD....

Okay, 27th

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can someone really explain to me what Rob Klinkhammer brings to this team?

I said it many times before Glencross was a better fit and actually scores the odd goal (14 goals last year vs. 3 for Klink).

But noooo .... we score too many goals as is, right? We don't need to extra offence.

Bleh. Put back Gazdic at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad