Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose the game, lose a body, nothing has changed

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I was watching the Detroit St.Louis game the other night. During a stoppage in play, the camera panned to a press-box. Inside the press-box was Chiarelli talking to the Blues GM. Shattenkirk?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Klefbom
RNH
McDavid
Davidson

tough to win when your top 2 centers are out, your top pairing d-man is out and a good young player like Davidson is out

why can't these injuries come to our scrub players? no luck in that department

goal for the last 33 games: get to .500...it's a daunting task but McDavid is back Feb 2nd, hopefully Klef and Davidson are back then too...and maybe RNH by the beginning of March

A few years back the Sens lost their #1 center (Spezza) their #1 goalie (anderson) and their #1 norris winning dman (Karlsson) for the year and they made the playoffs.

Yes that is an exception but almost every excuse we use for the oilers gets blown out of the water and one time or another. This team was struggling when all the players you mentioned were healthy.

Oct 15, 2008
I've posted this before, but we are getting screwed by the economics of the league.

1. The no-trade and no-movement clauses reduce the pool players we can acquire.
This is true.
2. Edmonton isn't a premier destination for players or their families. "Trade me to EMND please!" said no one ever.
Ryan Smyth
3. There seem to be unwritten rules among GM's about sending valuable dmen to non-play-off teams. The good teams trade with each other almost exclusively.
Seth Jones
4. Free agency for dmen is non-existent. They are underpaid as a group, so teams always resign them rather than risking going without. IE, we can't even get decent UFA dmen.
Sheldon Souray
5. We've drafted BPA forever in round 1, foregoing the 1st round defensemen that other teams have slowly accumulated. We are empty on the farm.
David Musil

IMO, the ONLY way out is to convert the high end forwards into dmen. Or to offer sheet an RFA dman. My plan: offer sheet Seth Jones. Then trade Ebs for another good dman.

Offer sheets generally dont work out. At least not for us.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
A few years back the Sens lost their #1 center (Spezza) their #1 goalie (anderson) and their #1 norris winning dman (Karlsson) for the year and they made the playoffs.

Yes that is an exception but almost every excuse we use for the oilers gets blown out of the water and one time or another. This team was struggling when all the players you mentioned were healthy.

Sens are a lot deeper, the Oilers are not...the Oilers can't afford to be missing two top 4 d-men and two top 6 centres

you say they're getting blown out yet they've played 11 straight 1-goal games

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Solid effort from the boys but unfortunately the game never felt in reach. Good to see that we have improved in every outing against the Stars this year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was watching the Detroit St.Louis game the other night. During a stoppage in play, the camera panned to a press-box. Inside the press-box was Chiarelli talking to the Blues GM. Shattenkirk?

I'll bet conversations like this happen between GMs nearly every game or close to it. Not to mention phone calls and faxes. Not saying it would never happen, but I wouldn't read too much into it. It's just Chia and the Blues GM doing their jobs and due diligence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just checked: last year the Oilers had their first regulation losses by an average of 2.5 goals. This year it's down to 1.9. If we factored in empty net goals, that number would be even lower and the change even more significant. This is with the man-games lost having skyrocketed this year. So the team is definitely heading in the right direction, even if we're tired of saying that.

Not doubting your other comments, but are you saying there were no empty net goals against us last year?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Who knows. GM's talk to each other for lots of reasons. He was definitely there at that game, and the Blues have a ton of 'Chiarelli' type players.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Yes that is an exception but almost every excuse we use for the oilers gets blown out of the water and one time or another.

So: you cherry pick an example, admit that it's an exception and then proceed to ignore that fact to make some kind of point about...something. It's not really clear.

The Oilers are a team with some flaws, particularly on D. Those flaws have been amplified by overlapping injuries to key contributors. Those aren't excuses: they're reasons.

This team was struggling when all the players you mentioned were healthy.

All of those guys were healthy for, what, 12 games at the start of the year?

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Guess who..again...

Dujnp80.gif

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Guess who..again...

Dujnp80.gif

Did you notice after this play that they pulled Jultz off the ice and sent out gryba to pair with Nurse for the draw at center ice. That's a bit of a message although I don't think Jultz has any capability to respond to it. I'm sure Mclellan would like to fire Jultz out of a cannon into the sun at this point...:(

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
I think we need anther three or four years of lottery picks so we can rebuild the defense through the draft since nobody wants to trade Nuge or Eberle.

This. I have always thought that Edmonton knows how to do nothing but sacrifice entire years to fill one piece of their lineup. Rinse and repeat every year. The sad part is that the resulting bounty of the sacrifice has only worked out a couple of times. This is going to be the longest rebuild in the history of professional sports if it does indeed have an ending.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Schultz with the little tap of the puck to Drai right there in the slot with the Stars all over.

This idiot has zero hockey IQ. Just an absolute train wreck imbecile on the ice. He is just disgustingly bad and stupid. How he faces his teammates day to day is beyond me. I would feel like sh**

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
How long did we wait to trade Paul coffey?

:laugh:....We waited till he priced himself out of the market, apparently we couldn't afford him. Come to think of it Jultz has kind of done the same thing in a loser kind of way. He is being paid way more then he is worth so there is no point in qualifying him. I guess they do kind of have one thing in common...:amazed:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
what was Jultz thinking with that pass? even if he puts it on Drai's tape, he probably gets hit hard or the puck knocked off his blade

what a dummy...hammer it into the corner

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
what was Jultz thinking with that pass? even if he puts it on Drai's tape, he probably gets hit hard or the puck knocked off his blade

what a dummy...hammer it into the corner

He literally could have just played it up the left boards and out. There was no one there. He has god awful hockey sense, especially in the D zone.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He literally could have just played it up the left boards and out. There was no one there. He has god awful hockey sense, especially in the D zone.

Made the same damn mistake in the panthers game by passing it right to the middle and he did it again this game. His hockey IQ is just laughable. Can't wait until Schultz is no longer an oiler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad