Oilers lose in OT to the Red Wings (4-3 final score)

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
i didn't watch the game and just checked the stats, came here to make this exact same post.... why is he EVER on the ice? even when we are icing 7 dmen, he shouldn't be one of them.... he is done, done, DONE as a NHL player

I think they did it out of pity. I don't see any other reason...:shakehead

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Would you give up 3M to be a nice guy. I know I wouldn't. Oilers just have to buy him out in the summer.

If I was already a multi-millionaire, yes. If you are paid to do a job and can no longer do that job, it wouldn't feel right to take that money, it's called integrity some people have it and others don't. The second scenario of him going to the AHL for his final contract year, would still entitle him to all his money it would just free up a roster spot for us and he could help out the kids on our farm club instead of sitting in the press box. Adam Oates offered Kevin Lowe to pay a portion of his salary back out of pocket because he thought he was playing so poorly in his final year with us, Kevin ofcourse declined, but players with integrity do those sorts of things and when they know you are done you should do the right thing and retire or waive your NMC to step into the background and earn his over-inflated price tag in the AHL.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
If I was already a multi-millionaire, yes. If you are paid to do a job and can no longer do that job, it wouldn't feel right to take that money, it's called integrity some people have it and others don't. The second scenario of him going to the AHL for his final contract year, would still entitle him to all his money it would just free up a roster spot for us and he could help out the kids on our farm club instead of sitting in the press box. Adam Oates offered Kevin Lowe to pay a portion of his salary back out of pocket because he thought he was playing so poorly in his final year with us, Kevin ofcourse declined, but players with integrity do those sorts of things and when they know you are done you should do the right thing and retire or waive your NMC to step into the background and earn his over-inflated price tag in the AHL.

Okay I just want to clarify what Ference's options are

1: Stay in the PB and play every 10th game and keep his salary
2: Waive whatever deal and go to the AHL where he'd play and keep his salary
3. Waive all deals and retire and forfeit salary

Is that correct?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Okay I just want to clarify what Ference's options are

1: Stay in the PB and play every 10th game and keep his salary
2: Waive whatever deal and go to the AHL where he'd play and keep his salary
3. Waive all deals and retire and forfeit salary

Is that correct?

4) do option 1 for this year only but get bought out in the summer.

Burger Baron

Feb 6, 2013
Vancouver

At the end of the day Andrew Ference is a human being. He has a wife. He has kids. He has a family and people to look after. No, he's not going to move to Bakersfield for 2 years and leave/move his family. And if there are millions on the table, he's going to take it. Just like anyone would.

Options are: Pressbox, Buy-out, Retire

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
yet RNH has been coming to the camp stronger and better every season... Training is hardly an issue for him.. He was the best forward in Eakin's stupid fitness tests on the team.

Playing the kid 20mins+ per night against top competition did him in... With Gordon gone he is getting exposed badly this year... Most here had seen it coming long ways..
Gordon was the unsung hero last year playing the tough defensive zone minutes.

Sure he came into camp in good shape. Thats fine if you want a muscle builder. We want a hockey player and RNH had some of the best hockey trainers in the world available to him. Instead he chose his brother.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sure he came into camp in good shape. Thats fine if you want a muscle builder. We want a hockey player and RNH had some of the best hockey trainers in the world available to him. Instead he chose his brother.

Yikes. I have been pondering what could be wrong with Nuge, and my mind has kept going back to thinking maybe he just put on a lot of muscle in the off season and it has slowed him down a bit, but over time he will make up the difference and get some explosiveness back. If that is true though, and he is letting some amateur train him...the explosiveness might never return.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't understand how a trade could be considered knee-jerk. It's not like the team is in a slump. They have been terrible for years. Knee-jerk would be ANH trading Getzlaf. The Oilers trading Eberle (or hell, anyone really) is the exact opposite of knee-jerk. Any player that has contributed to the years of losing should have a target on their back, save for Taylor Hall. He's the only individual that has come close to living up to his potential.

If the Oilers expected RNH to turn into a pretty good "two-way" guy they never would have drafted him first overall. There are players drafted in the mid-first and second round's every year with that kind of potential! I mean, honestly we were led to believe he had elite offensive ability, which is looking more and more not to be the case. He's a good player. He might even be able to be an important piece on a winning team, but when you compare him to other first overall's drafted right before him, his ceiling appears to be nowhere near theirs...and don't even get me started on Yakupov.

I'm not even prepared to blame the Oilers scouting staff for drafting RNH and Yakupov though. They were pretty much the consensus "guy" in their years. To be honest, it really comes down to crappy luck.

You know where they deserve to be criticized though? Their complete inability to find players in the second and subsequent rounds. This is the real reason for the sorry state of the rebuild. They haven't gotten a player of value outside the first friggen' round! That is inexcusable, and should cost them their jobs! They should have been able to luck into at least ONE decent player! Their ineptitude is boundless.

The only thing that has the potential to save this franchise right now is McDavid living up to his potential.

Bolded part is so true. He looked like he had the potential to be elite as a rookie, but several factors (some of which are unknown) seem to have derailed that. As a #1 overall pick, he at least has to be capable of consistent 70 point seasons right? And not only the points, but as a #1 overall, he should be a guy that elevates his linemates and drives offense. That doesn't seem even remotely true. Of course he's still growing, getting stronger etc, but #1 overall players are supposed to be exceptional; able to do great things despite being overmatched physically at a young age.

He really just looks like a skilled grinder.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
At the end of the day Andrew Ference is a human being. He has a wife. He has kids. He has a family and people to look after. No, he's not going to move to Bakersfield for 2 years and leave/move his family. And if there are millions on the table, he's going to take it. Just like anyone would.

Options are: Pressbox, Buy-out, Retire

I have no expectation for him to do anything other than sit in the pressbox for this season, next season is where a decision and the long hard talk with management has to come in and he needs to make a decision.

I got no problem with Ference not wanting to retire, if you love hockey play for as long as you want by all means and he is entitled to collect on his contract, but there is no need to soak up a spot on the 23 man roster needlessly just cause he has an NMC. In all likelyhood buy-out will be a very real possibility, but ideally he should come to terms with the fact that he isn't good enough to play in the NHL anymore and retire at the conclusion of this season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Bolded part is so true. He looked like he had the potential to be elite as a rookie, but several factors (some of which are unknown) seem to have derailed that. As a #1 overall pick, he at least has to be capable of consistent 70 point seasons right? And not only the points, but as a #1 overall, he should be a guy that elevates his linemates and drives offense. That doesn't seem even remotely true. Of course he's still growing, getting stronger etc, but #1 overall players are supposed to be exceptional; able to do great things despite being overmatched physically at a young age.

He really just looks like a skilled grinder.

This is the PPG of our 1st OA's and Draisaitl.

Mcdavid- 2.55
Hall- 1.86
Draisaitl- 1.64
Yakupov- 1.64
RNH- 1.54

Now here's some of the other top 1st OA's draft year.

Crosby- 2.7
Kane- 2.5
Tavares- 1.85
Stamkos- 1.72
Mackinnon- 1.7

These numbers indicate that Crosby, Kane and Mcdavid are in the elite category. Hall and Tavares are the next step down. Stamkos has surpassed what his junior numbers predict and is in the elite category. Yakupov and RNH are the bottom of the CHL 1st OA forwards of the past 10 years. It seems weird how a 0.1/0.2 PPG average actually somewhat predicts how the player will turn out.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Ference is a great guy. So is Ben Scrivens. They do wonders for the community and nobody should question their commitment to a variety of issues other players don't give two ***** about.

But neither is an NHL player. Hell, neither is an AHL player.

Sad to see, sad to say, its the truth. Scrivens is the Oilers 5th best goalie, Ference is off the charts bad. Great human beings.

I don't care how great of humans they are, they suck. They are getting paid well for sucking. If you and I both suck at work, do they keep us? NO, we then work for the government in that EI role

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Oilers are last in the NHL with 7 wins in 23 games. They have had over 23 players playing this season and have 19 dressed on any given night. Ference has played one game in 10 and HE's the problem with the team?? LOL...sure, that's it...:amazed:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Oilers are last in the NHL with 7 wins in 23 games. They have had over 23 players playing this season and have 19 dressed on any given night. Ference has played one game in 10 and HE's the problem with the team?? LOL...sure, that's it...:amazed:

Yeah! I mean, he was absolute dung last night, and this is the PGT, and no one has said that HE is THE problem with the team, but stop talking about Ference, guys! What if Spider Mable is reading this?

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Ference isn't the problem, he's just a terrible hockey player right now.

It almost takes talent to be a -2 in four minutes of play. When I heard he was in I groaned and then when I watched him play I was beside myself.

Not impressed with Eberle last night, looks like his amount of try is close to zero. If he is hurt, then don't play. Never thought I'd see so little effort from him.

Hats off to Pakman though, that's the type of effort that keeps you in the line up.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Got bottom 6 scoring and had a nice comeback. But why didn't they show up until the game was already half way over? The first 30 minutes were disgusting. Holy crap.

In 4:24 of ice time Ference managed to put zeroes across the board aside from a -2 +/-. Poor guy.

And what in the royal hell was Eberle doing going behind the net along with RNH? Doubling up on the puck to force the issue would be one thing if he had actually done something like tie up the guys stick or hit him. But he just waved his stick at him like a magic wand.

And it's not as if either one of them did a damn thing in regulation time either.

One positive was seeing Kronwall give the puck away on the tying goal. Would have been sweet if the Oilers could have finished them off. But nooooooooo. The Oilers gotta Oiler.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I know he's coming back from injury, but I'm not sure Eberle finishes the season as an Oiler.

He is what Spector correctly calls a "soft skill" player. Guys like Eberle do nothing if they don't put up points regularly. He is as soft as a marshmallow (like most players on this team), he is not good defensively, etc. He will fo sure be the first "core" guy gone.

I bet they trade RNH after the year is up if a trade is too good to pass up.

Guys who don't put up a ton of points, but can play a "heavy game" on the first or second line can actually help others get more points. Most of our forwards can't even be bothered to finish any check or lean on a guy against the boards. It's all little stick checks.

That's all I am looking forward to. The day I get texts from people telling a few of these guys are gone (as long as we get somebody who fits back).

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It would be nice to see some fancy stats in regards to how many times we dump the puck in and actually retrieve it. We have to be absolutely horrendous in that stat.

Or how many times a puck gets dumped in our zone and we either get beat to it or have control, but lose it.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I don't mind losing when we play well. IE: Washington game.

I absolutely hate losing when there is so little effort. Eberle was a huge culprit last night and when I see guys that just do flybys because they are not interested in getting involved, I question their heart and compete.

Hall threw a great body check last night and plays like he wants to win every game. I'm not sure about RNH, Pou and Ebs. I love RNH, I think he tries every game. Not sure about the other two.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It would be nice to see some fancy stats in regards to how many times we dump the puck in and actually retrieve it. We have to be absolutely horrendous in that stat.

Or how many times a puck gets dumped in our zone and we either get beat to it or have control, but lose it.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but this is a pretty close approximation.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I wouldn't bother buying out Ference doesn't it extend the length of his cap hit? Less cap hit but 1 more year or something? I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I wouldn't bother buying out Ference doesn't it extend the length of his cap hit? Less cap hit but 1 more year or something? I wouldn't bother.

Yep, it's 2/3 of the remaining $ over twice the remaining term.
So with Ference slated to make $3.25m next season, a buyout would mean he'd get $2.16m (3.25m x 2/3) over two years. So 1.08m next season, and the season after that against our cap.

Not worth it. We could just leave him on the roster and never use him and there'd be no penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad