Oilers lose in OT to the Red Wings (4-3 final score)

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
it almost seems pointless to blame management. I mean, yes.,...managment has been brutal...but the league is a ****ing clownshow.

"we need to be better to win games, but this is terrible entertainment.......just a ****ing sieve of a rulebook with infallible clowns calling the game and ****ing hands-in-your-pockets oversight by a league seemingly obsessed with the entry draft, goalie pads, and shinny-trick-shot-gimmick rules instead of addressing the arizona 5 year bankruptcy and building a competitive product with any sort of clarity and direction."

x1000000

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Laugh of the night.....Ference....4:24 ice time -2...... I didn't actually realize he played so little. This clown doesn't see the ice the rest of the year unless the oilers plane goes down and he is the lone surviving dman.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
It's not a conspiracy theory. It's actually true.

Refs in the NHL manage the game based upon situation and the players involved. Young players don't get nearly as much respect as older ones. The Oilers skill guys are all pretty young and are never going to get the benefit of the doubt.
That's not how a game should be called. The blind refs shouldn't look at the name on the back of a jersey or the logo on the back of a jersey.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yea, he's a fantastic complementary player but he doesn't complement the Oilers makeup well.

He has been one of the most productive Oiler .. We just cant have him AND Yak on the roster at the same time since both are one dimensional.

Ebs has trade value and Yak doesnt.. makes him the likely player to be traded...

Lets not have a knee jerk reaction here... Eberle is a game breaker and has scored some big timely goals for the Oilers. Would hate to see him trade before giving him a chance to pair up with McDavid. If he lands us a RD to pair up with Klefbom then I am willing to settle for ConYak

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
These forums have died significantly over the past few years. Many posters have given up.

Can't really blame them. Same **** different season

Only
Into
Losing
Every
Regular
Season

Oh I agree, I just don't get why some people get so excited to talk down to anyone who's had enough of losing.

Yeah? Those strangers on the internet not living up to your expectations?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
getting a point in Detroit is basically like winning the Stanley Cup...for this group, as sad as that is

team is bad but compete is there

ZERO chance this is a .500 team

The thing is I can see this team racking up wins in the back half of the season when McDavid is back and the pressure eases off, giving us some false hope.

This team isn't bad enough to draft top 5 but isn't good enough to get anywhere close to the playoffs.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The thing is I can see this team racking up wins in the back half of the season when McDavid is back and the pressure eases off, giving us some false hope.

This team isn't bad enough to draft top 5 but isn't good enough to get anywhere close to the playoffs.

Philly finished with 84 points last year and ended up picking 6th overall

this team is worse...no chance they hit 80 points

SaskOilers

Jan 6, 2009
So Nurse has been logging 20+ minutes fairly regularly. Personally I think he's looked pretty damn good for a 20 year old paired with Sekera. I didn't agree with bringing him up so soon, but he's kept things simple and cut out most of the high risk stuff. He looks like he belongs.

In other news, Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist is a pretty good third line.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
He has been one of the most productive Oiler .. We just cant have him AND Yak on the roster at the same time since both are one dimensional.

Ebs has trade value and Yak doesnt.. makes him the likely player to be traded...

Lets not have a knee jerk reaction here... Eberle is a game breaker and has scored some big timely goals for the Oilers. Would hate to see him trade before giving him a chance to pair up with McDavid. If he lands us a RD to pair up with Klefbom then I am willing to settle for ConYak

I don't understand how a trade could be considered knee-jerk. It's not like the team is in a slump. They have been terrible for years. Knee-jerk would be ANH trading Getzlaf. The Oilers trading Eberle (or hell, anyone really) is the exact opposite of knee-jerk. Any player that has contributed to the years of losing should have a target on their back, save for Taylor Hall. He's the only individual that has come close to living up to his potential.

If the Oilers expected RNH to turn into a pretty good "two-way" guy they never would have drafted him first overall. There are players drafted in the mid-first and second round's every year with that kind of potential! I mean, honestly we were led to believe he had elite offensive ability, which is looking more and more not to be the case. He's a good player. He might even be able to be an important piece on a winning team, but when you compare him to other first overall's drafted right before him, his ceiling appears to be nowhere near theirs...and don't even get me started on Yakupov.

I'm not even prepared to blame the Oilers scouting staff for drafting RNH and Yakupov though. They were pretty much the consensus "guy" in their years. To be honest, it really comes down to crappy luck.

You know where they deserve to be criticized though? Their complete inability to find players in the second and subsequent rounds. This is the real reason for the sorry state of the rebuild. They haven't gotten a player of value outside the first friggen' round! That is inexcusable, and should cost them their jobs! They should have been able to luck into at least ONE decent player! Their ineptitude is boundless.

The only thing that has the potential to save this franchise right now is McDavid living up to his potential.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
So Nurse has been logging 20+ minutes fairly regularly. Personally I think he's looked pretty damn good for a 20 year old paired with Sekera. I didn't agree with bringing him up so soon, but he's kept things simple and cut out most of the high risk stuff. He looks like he belongs.

In other news, Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist is a pretty good third line.

I kind of think nurse and drai are getting shopped.

Or they should be sent down soon.

Were losing every game.

So play slepyshev and hunt and tank it already

. Trade your stars.
Trade down at the draft.

Start frrsh.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Hahaha, Matheson and Van Diest going ham on twitter right now. They're so upset they haven't been able to talk to Chiarelli and get some lame quotes. This is great stuff.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
A slash that takes a players stick out of their hands is always a penalty. Unfortunately it was Datsyuk who did it, so its obvious why the ref didn't call it. What a joke. And Hall got slashed in the face 4 mins earlier as well with no call? Good job, refs!
It wasn't just just those two plays either. I couldn't believe how much interference the Wings were getting away with all night. I haven't seen so much clutching and grabbing in over a decade.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Laugh of the night.....Ference....4:24 ice time -2...... I didn't actually realize he played so little. This clown doesn't see the ice the rest of the year unless the oilers plane goes down and he is the lone surviving dman.

i didn't watch the game and just checked the stats, came here to make this exact same post.... why is he EVER on the ice? even when we are icing 7 dmen, he shouldn't be one of them.... he is done, done, DONE as a NHL player

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know if it's just the negativity creeping back in but these last few games have been awful to watch and reminiscent of last year's team.

I've been actually enjoying watching for the most part this year...

Counting on Mclellan to pull the team out of their pity spiral, identify those who are unable to do so and relay that to Chiarelli.

I think the worry is that apathy has now set in for the team after so many good efforts only to end up in losses and it taking a toll on them mentally. Some on this board called it several games ago and I among others shrugged it off saying Mclellan wouldn't let that happen.

It has only been 2 poor performances in a row but it makes you wonder if they are completely demoralized at this point. It would follow the same pattern as previous years.
I'm not sure there is much Mclellan can do. With it being 20+ games in now, it's completely up to the players and too many of these players are accustomed and accepting of losing. The excuses of getting used to a new system and a new voice should be over with by now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know if it's just the negativity creeping back in but these last few games have been awful to watch and reminiscent of last year's team.

I've been actually enjoying watching for the most part this year...

Counting on Mclellan to pull the team out of their pity spiral, identify those who are unable to do so and relay that to Chiarelli.

Interesting that this team is playing its worst hockey of the season right around the same time of the year that they played their worst hockey last season. It's almost like these guys get so excited about Santa coming in less than a month that they can't focus on hockey.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad