Oilers lose in OT to the Red Wings (4-3 final score)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ference should just do the right thing and fall on his sword and retire. It should be painfully obvious that he is the very last option on a last place team with a very bad, inexperienced and flawed defence core. He has a cup ring, made good money, and has played some solid hockey for good teams in the past. It's beyond time.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yep, it's 2/3 of the remaining $ over twice the remaining term.
So with Ference slated to make $3.25m next season, a buyout would mean he'd get $2.16m (3.25m x 2/3) over two years. So 1.08m next season, and the season after that against our cap.

Not worth it. We could just leave him on the roster and never use him and there'd be no penalty.

Having that roster spot is worth it. Not tempting the coach to put him in the lineup is worth it.

It's insane how far removed from being an NHL player this guy is. I don't think he could hold his head above water in the AHL right now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What i liked most about this game was that all three of our goals were hard fought for, second or third efforts.

Good stuff.

Too bad it took the team 30 minutes of play before they figured out that actually asserting yourself brings results.

Watching this team drives me absolutely insane. When they play assertive hockey they can play with any team in the league. But for whatever reason the whole damn team is scared to come out and try to dictate the game. They just sit there, let the opponent set the tone and then possibly respond from there.

Look at last night. The disparity between the first half of the game and the last half is night and day. If you showed me the first and third period in separate pieces I probably would have told you they were from different games. They just walked in scared and it took them 30 mins to realize that if they work hard they will get results.

It's all psychological with this team. The ability to compete is there, but for some reason they just refuse to do it coming into games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Somebody tell me what Nuge was doing on the Tatar goal. It defies description. Nuge is seen trying to get off ice (very slowly), tries to throw his leg up over the boards, doesn't make it, stands there, on the ice, and watches the play. His two skates are still on the ice as the goal light is going on.

Nuge and Eberle change lines like grandmothers. Been note a lot this season and responsible now for 3 GA just due to ****** slow line changes. While Nuge and Eberle are taking forever to get off the ice we are shorthande and giving up an oddman rush because they don't promptly skate to the bench and get off.

On Wings first goal Nuge is stripped of puck in offensive end, skates back slowly, no urgency whatsoever, then slowly gets to around one post,watches as two Wings go right by him, doesn't lay a hand on either, and then when the goal light is on he grabs Nyqvist. Apparently to make it look like he did something on the play other than watch.

3rd goal he gets a strip, has a wide open chance in front of Detroit net, flubs on trying to get a shot off, is checked to the ice, loses puck, then inexplicable goes behind the goal line with eberle as 3 Wings skate back the other way. Nuge complaining about the call instead of realizing that e CAN'T be caught out of position on a 3 on 3. He gave the Wings a 3 on 1 with all kinds of time. The Wings had all day to execute that line rush. That was as automatic a GA as you'll ever see.

This was Nuges "bounceback" game after being -4 the game before.

If he wasn't a Center on this team he should be getting benched.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Too bad it took the team 30 minutes of play before they figured out that actually asserting yourself brings results.

Watching this team drives me absolutely insane. When they play assertive hockey they can play with any team in the league. But for whatever reason the whole damn team is scared to come out and try to dictate the game. They just sit there, let the opponent set the tone and then possibly respond from there.

Look at last night. The disparity between the first half of the game and the last half is night and day. If you showed me the first and third period in separate pieces I probably would have told you they were from different games. They just walked in scared and it took them 30 mins to realize that if they work hard they will get results.

It's all psychological with this team. The ability to compete is there, but for some reason they just refuse to do it coming into games.

I mentioned in the GDT that we did not establish any sustained possession in the Detroit end until the 12min mark. We finished with 4 shots in the period. At one point in this game Detroit had 17 shots on goal and had 8 of their shots blocked. We had 5shots and 1 blocked. One could Tally that as Detroit taking 25 shots at net and the Oilers 6 in that span.

What team would possibly expect that is enough push and effort in the NHL?

I feel like its grade school every year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yep, it's 2/3 of the remaining $ over twice the remaining term.
So with Ference slated to make $3.25m next season, a buyout would mean he'd get $2.16m (3.25m x 2/3) over two years. So 1.08m next season, and the season after that against our cap.

Not worth it. We could just leave him on the roster and never use him and there'd be no penalty.

Then we waste a valuable roster spot. If we could send him to the minors then I'd keep him. Roster spot is to valuable to save a little over 1 million in 2 seasons.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Nuge had a terrible start to the game, finished it off with a little more urgency. Failed in OT though.

Eberle (im a big fan) has been sucking wow. He will turn it around though. Might be to late.

Still the problem lies at the feet of the defense. Not the players fault, not really Chias fault. He inherited a roster full of overpaid monkeys. Thanks Mact. Chia has 4 dmen with less than 100 games playing. He knows this trust me. Could he have bought out Ference and Nikitan before the start of the season? Yes, but he probably was hoping they werent a train wreck like they are, then only have 2 dmen with less than 100 games.

TM has this team playing with a identity. Hes totally mind blown this team cant start a game like they play when they are down 1-0. They dont look as lost though as they have previous years, I actually see a better forecheck and better defending better execution when they are on their game.

The first round pick has to be in play right now, with alot of players. The only problem with that is our scouting has been so garbage over the last 6 years we have no depth. We trade a Nurse, or a Eberle, or a Hall, we have a huge hole in any of those positions.

Ill be happy with a trade of anyone expect McDavid at this point, like really how do you get much worse?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Somebody tell me what Nuge was doing on the Tatar goal. It defies description. Nuge is seen trying to get off ice (very slowly), tries to throw his leg up over the boards, doesn't make it, stands there, on the ice, and watches the play. His two skates are still on the ice as the goal light is going on.

Nuge and Eberle change lines like grandmothers. Been note a lot this season and responsible now for 3 GA just due to ****** slow line changes. While Nuge and Eberle are taking forever to get off the ice we are shorthande and giving up an oddman rush because they don't promptly skate to the bench and get off.

On Wings first goal Nuge is stripped of puck in offensive end, skates back slowly, no urgency whatsoever, then slowly gets to around one post,watches as two Wings go right by him, doesn't lay a hand on either, and then when the goal light is on he grabs Nyqvist. Apparently to make it look like he did something on the play other than watch.

3rd goal he gets a strip, has a wide open chance in front of Detroit net, flubs on trying to get a shot off, is checked to the ice, loses puck, then inexplicable goes behind the goal line with eberle as 3 Wings skate back the other way. Nuge complaining about the call instead of realizing that e CAN'T be caught out of position on a 3 on 3. He gave the Wings a 3 on 1 with all kinds of time. The Wings had all day to execute that line rush. That was as automatic a GA as you'll ever see.

Ya, the lazy line changes from those two are a feature that I've noticed as well that has to stop immediately. That kind of thing is completely unacceptable.

To Nuge's credit I thought that he woke up and starting playing properly after that awful sequence on the third Red Wing goal that you mentioned. Sadly that didn't make up for his putrid play in the first half of the game. Hopefully that was the kick in the ass he needed to start playing the game he usually does.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that RNH and Eberle need to learn how to play 3 on 3 and shouldn't be the first option when OT starts under any circumstance. Against the Blackhawks and then again last night they both got caught low without possession which instantly caused the play to go the other way to end the game. You would think that at this point these guys would know that when you don't have the puck 3 on 3, you don't ever, EVER pinch down, but that hasn't sunk in yet.

It truly annoys me that these are two veteran players that have shown star ability that can't even get the damn details down right. This is the first time that RNH's play has sunk this low, but Eberle seems to find a stretch of games every season where he ends up being a detriment when you look at the overall picture.

I like these two players, but how can you possibly change the tentative losing culture on this team when you have two guys wearing letters that constantly **** up the details that shouldn't even have to be thought about to execute at this point in their careers? These are rookie mistakes that should get players reamed out or benched.

I think that we need to start looking at trade options in the lense of changing the leadership structure of the team if this doesn't change very, very quickly.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

So you're saying he isn't the second coming of Datsyuk:laugh:...Unfortunately I don't see things getting any better tonight. In the past I've noticed Nuge looking really bagged in the second of back to backs. I mean noticeably dragging his ass. Fingers cross Crosby doesn't play tonight.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013

I don't know how many times I face palmed and shook my head during the game. Thankfully it was a good group of Wings fans behind us and they kept their taunts to a minimum. There were some pretty funny comments and many were so true that I had to agree.

That line change involving Nuge was beyond lazy. Unreal. Ference... not going to comment. Sekera and Eberle were frustrating to watch too.

I recall last year that Eberle and Nuge played this lazy, sloppy way when they weren't on "the top line" or playing with Hall. They picked up play (for Nelson) when Hall was injured but it looks like they are back to playing like crap because they aren't the top line IMO.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Ya, the lazy line changes from those two are a feature that I've noticed as well that has to stop immediately. That kind of thing is completely unacceptable.

To Nuge's credit I thought that he woke up and starting playing properly after that awful sequence on the third Red Wing goal that you mentioned. Sadly that didn't make up for his putrid play in the first half of the game. Hopefully that was the kick in the ass he needed to start playing the game he usually does.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that RNH and Eberle need to learn how to play 3 on 3 and shouldn't be the first option when OT starts under any circumstance. Against the Blackhawks and then again last night they both got caught low without possession which instantly caused the play to go the other way to end the game. You would think that at this point these guys would know that when you don't have the puck 3 on 3, you don't ever, EVER pinch down, but that hasn't sunk in yet.

It truly annoys me that these are two veteran players that have shown star ability that can't even get the damn details down right. This is the first time that RNH's play has sunk this low, but Eberle seems to find a stretch of games every season where he ends up being a detriment when you look at the overall picture.

I like these two players, but how can you possibly change the tentative losing culture on this team when you have two guys wearing letters that constantly **** up the details that shouldn't even have to be thought about to execute at this point in their careers? These are rookie mistakes that should get players reamed out or benched.

I think that we need to start looking at trade options in the lense of changing the leadership structure of the team if this doesn't change very, very quickly.

Re bolded comment: One would think the coach would realize they aren't the ones who should start 3 on 3 in OT. Same with the PP- who needs to clue in that it isn't working at all. They can't even enter the zone, let alone get set up. And yet our PP picked up at the end of last season under Nelson with many of the exact same players. So what's different?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not normally one that comes on here whining about the officiating, but man, did the Wings ever get away with some crap in the last 5 minutes or so.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
We have 4 first overall picks and draisatl and Eberle up front. The refs should be a non-factor. The losses, aside from a couple blown goal reviews, are on us. (Refs still make me rage though). IMO, the only way to fix it is to play cheap dirty hockey all the time. Detroit gets away with picks and interference all game because they do it all the time. The Oilers get busted because they jump between being soft perimeter pushovers and interfering. It's so different and stands out the refs have no other choice.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Not normally one that comes on here whining about the officiating, but man, did the Wings ever get away with some crap in the last 5 minutes or so.

I don't usually complain about the refs either but it was the entire game. I don't think I've seen so much blatant holding, interference, slashing, etc. not called in a very long time.

Probably wouldn't have mattered the way the Oil played and their PP is one of the worst in the NHL. Who the hell is Woodcroft anyway? Terrible, terrible PP setup. Ridiculous.

And yeah, the refs sucked...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't usually complain about the refs either but it was the entire game. I don't think I've seen so much blatant holding, interference, slashing, etc. not called in a very long time.

Probably wouldn't have mattered the way the Oil played and their PP is one of the worst in the NHL. Who the hell is Woodcroft anyway? Terrible, terrible PP setup. Ridiculous.

And yeah, the refs sucked...

Woodcroft is awful, McLellans bench buddy from SJ. This is the worst PP scheme I've seen here which is saying a lot. Non stop shoot ins on the PP. yikes.

Ypu're right, doesn't matter if we get PP's We only lose momentum and 2mins of a game each time..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Wings have been getting away with that crap for 2 decades now and poor teams like the Oilers rarely get the benefit of the doubt.

Don't play like ass in the first 30 minutes so you don't have to leave the game in the hands of the refs. It's as simple as that.

Jun 9, 2011
I've said before, if Ference 'decided' to retire, it would be a nice parting gift for the Oilers to give him a lucrative, one year position as 'president of fitness assistants of developing players' or some crap. With an option to renew (cause he might be very good at a fitness position). Signing bonus, matches his lost salary from retirement.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've said before, if Ference 'decided' to retire, it would be a nice parting gift for the Oilers to give him a lucrative, one year position as 'president of fitness assistants of developing players' or some crap. With an option to renew (cause he might be very good at a fitness position). Signing bonus, matches his lost salary from retirement.

I would love if that happened, but you just know that the league would come down hard on the clear cap circumvention.

One thing to note is that Ference wasn't wearing an "A" last night despite being named at the start of the year.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

If we want our players to become vegans who get smaller every year, then yes he might be great.

The Joker*

If we want our players to become vegans who get smaller every year, then yes he might be great.
I take offense to this myth. There's absolutely no reason a proper vegan diet would cause someone to get smaller or weaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad