Oilers lose 6-4 "There was no interference on the play"

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I am a big Hall fan but his passing decisions tonight were horrible. Gave the puck away with dumb no chance passes. I thought yak played better.

Hall has very low hockey sense. He always tries to pass through bodies. If he only takes the time to see the play develop and make high percentage passes he would be vastly more effective. Why doesn't the coaches tell him that?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
'Great' is what people who want to see that are seeing. Most other fans are seeing something more like OK.
Regarding the bold, there is no doubt in my mind Yakupov is trying harder cause he's playing with Hall.
Its obvious in every move he makes that he really wants this line to work out.
I've never seen him try so hard to be useful to his linemates.
Sadly this leave me to conclude that pundits and fans who suggested Yakupov pouts when he doesn't get to play where he thinks he 'deserves' to play were absolutely correct.

Oh FFS.

Yak gets buried in bottomsix with players whose style of play is completely alien to him and he gets blasted every game it happens for that.

Yak, the odd time he gets a chance to play with talented players knocks it out of the ballpark virtually everytime and he gets critiqued by you for playing really well as if that's a bad thing.

lets get this straight. Play poorly in bottomsix and he gets your criticism. Play really well in topsix and he gets more criticism from you.

unbelievable

You've just setup a can't win dichotomy.

congrats

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Oh FFS.

Yak gets buried in bottomsix with players whose style of play is completely alien to him and he gets blasted every game it happens for that.

Yak, the odd time he gets a chance to play with talented players knocks it out of the ballpark virtually everytime and he gets critiqued by you for playing really well as if that's a bad thing.

lets get this straight. Play poorly in bottomsix and he gets your criticism. Play really well in topsix and he gets more criticism from you.

unbelievable

congrats

Lol yeah yak just can't win with that guy. Even when he's playing well people will spin it anyway they can to fit their narrative. When he's bad it's because he's dumb as rocks, and when he's good it's because he has character issues. what the **** right?

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Hall has very low hockey sense. He always tries to pass through bodies. If he only takes the time to see the play develop and make high percentage passes he would be vastly more effective. Why doesn't the coaches tell him that?

this post makes no sense.

hockey sense or hockey IQ as it's refered to nowadays, is precisely what your describing hall is doing. it's reading the ice and reading plays before they develop. hall actually has excellent hockey sense, but halls issue is sometimes his execution of those plays is lacking. what i'm getting from your post is that hall tends to try low percentage plays, which in my opinion is not a bad thing, it actually shows creativity and a good hockey sense.

an example of what you're describing in your post would be RNH, he has become so focused on being responsible defensively that he has all but eliminated those low percentage creative plays, which has completely stiffled his offensive creativity. i hope hall never stops trying to be creative, its what makes him a dangerous offensive player.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
this post makes no sense.

hockey sense or hockey IQ as it's refered to nowadays, is precisely what your describing hall is doing. it's reading the ice and reading plays before they develop. hall actually has excellent hockey sense, but halls issue is sometimes his execution of those plays is lacking. what i'm getting from your post is that hall tends to try low percentage plays, which in my opinion is not a bad thing, it actually shows creativity and a good hockey sense.

an example of what you're describing in your post would be RNH, he has become so focused on being responsible defensively that he has all but eliminated those low percentage creative plays, which has completely stiffled his offensive creativity. i hope hall never stops trying to be creative, its what makes him a dangerous offensive player.

What kind of mental gymnastics are you pulling off to conclude that Hall's failures on the PP are not due to poor hockey IQ. The guy is seemingly braindead when it comes to making even the most simplest of plays. Plays even guys like Kassian and Maroon can do without thinking.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
What kind of mental gymnastics are you pulling off to conclude that Hall's failures on the PP are not due to poor hockey IQ. The guy is seemingly braindead when it comes to making even the most simplest of plays. Plays even guys like Kassian and Maroon can do without thinking.

it's not mental gymnastics as you put it. its fairly simple, hall has very good hockey IQ, and it blows me away that some people can't see that, which is starting to lead me to believe that a whole lot of people have no idea what hockey sense or hockey IQ actually is. halls issue is not his brain seeing the play develop, and having the creativity to try and create those plays, which is exactly what hockey IQ is, halls issue is his abilty to execute those plays which is sometimes lacking. there is a big difference between thinking the game and playing the game.

why do you think the leagues best players who have the best hockey IQ's are always at or near the top of the league for turnovers and giveaways? it's because they are being creative which takes a good hockey mind to do. but people see hall turn the puck over because he tried to be creative and make a play, and they just assume he's a stupid player with no hockey sense, when in fact if you paid attention to what he was actually trying to do you could see that it is exactly the opposite.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
it's not mental gymnastics as you put it. its fairly simple, hall has very good hockey IQ, and it blows me away that some people can't see that, which is starting to lead me to believe that a whole lot of people have no idea what hockey sense or hockey IQ actually is. halls issue is not his brain seeing the play develop, and having the creativity to try and create those plays, which is exactly what hockey IQ is, halls issue is his abilty to execute those plays which is sometimes lacking. there is a big difference between thinking the game and playing the game.

why do you think the leagues best players who have the best hockey IQ's are always at or near the top of the league for turnovers and giveaways? it's because they are being creative which takes a good hockey mind to do. but people see hall turn the puck over because he tried to be creative and make a play, and they just assume he's a stupid player with no hockey sense, when in fact if you paid attention to what he was actually trying to do you could see that it is exactly the opposite.

So just because Hall forces low percentage plays that he very rarely executes we chalk that up to his superior hockey IQ? Hockey IQ is not defined as merely creativity, Hall needs to be more efficient in his decision making. Make the simple play when it is there instead of trying to force a play that is not there.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

So his hockey IQ is great because he is consistently trying to make plays he doesn't have the skill set to successfully make? Constantly destroying PP chances doesn't sound like having a high hockey IQ any way you spin it.

Either he has high IQ with a low skill set, or he has no hockey IQ with an undefined skillset. There's no way to come to a conclusion that Hall has a high hockey IQ and is also a good player yet makes absolutely dumbfounding plays over and over.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
So his hockey IQ is great because he is consistently trying to make plays he doesn't have the skill set to successfully make? Constantly destroying PP chances doesn't sound like having a high hockey IQ any way you spin it.

Either he has high IQ with a low skill set, or he has no hockey IQ with an undefined skillset. There's no way to come to a conclusion that Hall has a high hockey IQ and is also a good player yet makes absolutely dumbfounding plays over and over.

Hall is currently in very bad offesive slump so he is trying to force plays to create offense, which is something entirely different than having no hockey sense, and the original argument was that hall has no hockey sense, which is flat out false. whether he is able to execute those plays or not is irrelevant. when hall is at the top of his game he is executing those plays and putting up points, when he's struggling, like he is now, his execution is off and the points don't come. but that doesn't change the fact that he is still thinking the game at a high level. in this day and age in the NHL it is virtually impossible to be a point a game player, or close to it, without having excellent hockey sense and vision on the ice.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
So just because Hall forces low percentage plays that he very rarely executes we chalk that up to his superior hockey IQ? Hockey IQ is not defined as merely creativity, Hall needs to be more efficient in his decision making. Make the simple play when it is there instead of trying to force a play that is not there.

high percentage vs low percentage, or safe play vs high risk play, is something very different. what i am getting at is hall has the vision or hockey sense to be able to see that high risk play before it happens and try to create that play. and i understand that hockey sense is not merely offensive creativity, it can work defensively as well, that's one the reasons mcdavid is so good at stripping pucks, he has a fantastic hockey mind that can read plays before they develop. right now, hall is slumping bad, his execution of what he wants to do is off, that doesn't mean he all of a sudden forgot how to think the game.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I assume by the friendly tone that you intend to discuss matters intelligently and amicably.
Never gets blasted by me for that. Here's why ... bottom six is where Yak belongs. He's not a top six NHL player. So when he was accomplishing nothing in the bottom six (most of his career to date) I said nothing because I felt kind of sorry for how embarrassing it must be to be a FOA and be this bad at hockey.

I only started speaking up when a certain set of posters started simultaneously slamming RNH and/or Eberle while vehemently defending the guy with six goals.

You've probably stopped reading by now, but just in case you haven't, who in their right mind would blame the 'alien' style of veteran players for Yakupov's inability to play his position? If there's any 'alien' style of play here its Yak's.
Knocks it out of the ballpark? lmao. Are you ****ing kidding me with that? When has Yak ever knocked anything out of the ballpark? Dude has six goals. And he's had more than ten games in a row now with really good top six centers (unless, you probably don't want to count RNH) and what has he done? One goal and a couple of assists? Wow, what a homerun. Can't even see that ball anymore, can you? Sounds like a regular week for Eberle or RNH. The kind of week that would have posters on this site screaming to trade them.

And stop saying 'the odd time" please, its not true. Yak has been getting PP minutes all year long. Playing with the best talent on the team. And nothing. And lots of five on five minutes with good players. And six goals.
As I said above, I don't criticize Yak in the bottom six. If he wants to play with the big boys he can face his criticisms like the rest of the top six do.
As for playing 'really well' and 'knocking it out of the park' ... well. you have my word that whenever Yakupov does something more noteworthy than throw a pick or make a two foot pass I'll be the first to make a big hullabaloo about it, OK?

unbelievable

congrats
No, you've just read what you wanted to read in my post and then fabricated a tale wherein Yakupov has been 'hitting it out of the park'. Unbelievable is right.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Please, when we win the lottery, for every *****y post, will one of you reply with a gif of the lucic interference?

This may be the best idea. Make a video montage of the Oilers getting screwed over by crap reffing.

And if we win the lottery.. put it in every thread reply to someone complaining about it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Hall's game is based on speed and making plays off the rush; if he takes time to see the play develop, he neutralizes his greatest asset.

if he could think the game at the speed he plays at, his name would be Connor McDavid.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I assume by the friendly tone that you intend to discuss matters intelligently and amicably.
Never gets blasted by me for that. Here's why ... bottom six is where Yak belongs. He's not a top six NHL player. So when he was accomplishing nothing in the bottom six (most of his career to date) I said nothing because I felt kind of sorry for how embarrassing it must be to be a FOA and be this bad at hockey.

I only started speaking up when a certain set of posters started simultaneously slamming RNH and/or Eberle while vehemently defending the guy with six goals.

You've probably stopped reading by now, but just in case you haven't, who in their right mind would blame the 'alien' style of veteran players for Yakupov's inability to play his position? If there's any 'alien' style of play here its Yak's.
Knocks it out of the ballpark? lmao. Are you ****ing kidding me with that? When has Yak ever knocked anything out of the ballpark? Dude has six goals. And he's had more than ten games in a row now with really good top six centers (unless, you probably don't want to count RNH) and what has he done? One goal and a couple of assists? Wow, what a homerun. Can't even see that ball anymore, can you? Sounds like a regular week for Eberle or RNH. The kind of week that would have posters on this site screaming to trade them.

And stop saying 'the odd time" please, its not true. Yak has been getting PP minutes all year long. Playing with the best talent on the team. And nothing. And lots of five on five minutes with good players. And six goals.
As I said above, I don't criticize Yak in the bottom six. If he wants to play with the big boys he can face his criticisms like the rest of the top six do.
As for playing 'really well' and 'knocking it out of the park' ... well. you have my word that whenever Yakupov does something more noteworthy than throw a pick or make a two foot pass I'll be the first to make a big hullabaloo about it, OK?

No, you've just read what you wanted to read in my post and then fabricated a tale wherein Yakupov has been 'hitting it out of the park'. Unbelievable is right.

Other than mcdavid and maroon I would point out yakupov was probably making the smartest plays all night of the forward group. Unfortunately for him both draisaitl and hall are snake bitten right now and it has resulted in little finish. At the end of the day the guy is making 2.5 mill and was probably the best guy on his line and trying to throw him under the bus saying he should be this good all the time is unfair. You clearly didn't watch the game last night as there were multiple times where he was the only one making the smart play (especially on the power play where he saved almost sure zone exits by making a quick pass or spinning away). Obviously if he continues to get this ice time you would want to see production but play like this leads to that eventually. People seem to let the past cloud their judgement of players. He is playing well now and continues to deserve the opportunity he is getting.

Edit: there was a great post by one one and I can't remember the thread where it showed what % of forwards points had a defenseman contribute on it and the oilers average was a good 10-20% less then any decent team. My opinion is that alot of the issues with our scoring do not stem from our forwards but our d. If we could fix our defense without moving a forward I think people would be surprised by just how productive this group could be but instead they just continue to say our forwards suck because they "should" be putting up more points.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
What ********. Inconsistency is crazy. :help:

Yeah that video surprises me. Incompetence is endemic to this league. I barely watch the games as it is. This could be the last season for me. I have better things to do then watch the refs rig the games night in and night out.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Other than mcdavid and maroon I would point out yakupov was probably making the smartest plays all night of the forward group. Unfortunately for him both draisaitl and hall are snake bitten right now and it has resulted in little finish. At the end of the day the guy is making 2.5 mill and was probably the best guy on his line and trying to throw him under the bus saying he should be this good all the time is unfair. You clearly didn't watch the game last night as there were multiple times where he was the only one making the smart play (especially on the power play where he saved almost sure zone exits by making a quick pass or spinning away). Obviously if he continues to get this ice time you would want to see production but play like this leads to that eventually. People seem to let the past cloud their judgement of players. He is playing well now and continues to deserve the opportunity he is getting.

Edit: there was a great post by one one and I can't remember the thread where it showed what % of forwards points had a defenseman contribute on it and the oilers average was a good 10-20% less then any decent team. My opinion is that alot of the issues with our scoring do not stem from our forwards but our d. If we could fix our defense without moving a forward I think people would be surprised by just how productive this group could be but instead they just continue to say our forwards suck because they "should" be putting up more points.

Here you go. We should spread this around. Fantastic post.
We all know that the Oilers need a better defense. But not just to keep goals out. They need the defense to contribute more offensively as well.

I thought I would take a look at the Oiler forwards vs defense again in terms of generating offense. In particular how much help do the forwards get. TO do this I looked at the top ten forwards in scoring and the percentage of their scoring plays that involved defensemen. Here are the numbers:

Kane 73.9%
Benn 51.2%
Crosby 67.1%
Seguin 54.8%
Kuznetsov 47.9%
Gaudreau 68.0%
Thornton 59.7%
Pavelski 55.7%
Kopitar 66.1%
Wheeler 48.5%

For the Oilers:

Hall 36.7%
Draissaitl 38.8%
McDavid 32.5%
Nuge 24.2%
Eberle 22.7%
Yakupov 21%

If you look at ES numbers for the Oilers here is what you get:
Hall 29.4%
Draissaitl 35.7%
McDavid 18.75%
Nuge 20.0%
Eberle 14.7%
Yakupov 21%

In contrast for the top 3 forwards above they would be at
Kane 65.0%
Benn 50.9%
Crosby 65.5%

By the way, in his rookie year the number for Nuge was 38.5%.

With system play what it is these days it is tough to score without involvement of all five guys on the ice. Part of this is no doubt the Oilers forwards inability to pin the opposition down in their own end. But even if you are looking at points off the rush you would hope that a defenseman would be involved in actually getting things started.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Here you go. We should spread this around. Fantastic post.

Awesome thanks for linking that. I personally always thought it was the d but that post really shows how bad it is. I'm tired of seeing coaches forwards goalies and everyone under the sun paying for the mistakes of the horribly assembled d core of the last 6 years.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
Not sure if it's been said but it quite hypocritical for the coaches to put pressure on the players to not give up and play to win to the end. Reset stats and all that junk. It's obvious that the tank job was put in yesterday by the coaches when they started LB in net. There was zero reason why Talbot should not have been in net especially against the best team in the west unless they were accepting a loss and didn't want to trash his stats. As a player that speaks volumes to me. You can't say you guys better go out there and play to win or else....and we're starting LB, not Talbot so good luck with that.

/rant

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Not sure if it's been said but it quite hypocritical for the coaches to put pressure on the players to not give up and play to win to the end. Reset stats and all that junk. It's obvious that the tank job was put in yesterday by the coaches when they started LB in net. There was zero reason why Talbot should not have been in net especially against the best team in the west unless they were accepting a loss and didn't want to trash his stats. As a player that speaks volumes to me. You can't say you guys better go out there and play to win or else....and we're starting LB, not Talbot so good luck with that.

/rant

I think the Oilers needed to see what they have in Broissoit, it was a huge test for him, unfortunately he failed miserably.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I think the Oilers needed to see what they have in Broissoit, it was a huge test for him, unfortunately he failed miserably.

Yeah, I really don't blame McLellan at all. There's only a handful of games left, and we're in the toilet. It's not like if we win that game we make the playoffs. He wants to see how Brossoit can handle a heavy favourite like LA in their own building. Might as well take the time now to see how he responds instead of going into next year blind. I mean, as much as we all want to see Talbot every game, you can't just not play Brossoit. He has to get some games in too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad