Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 5-2 to Calgary.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't know what game you were watching but for a large portion of the game the Oilers were dominating. And Nuge looked fast and I thought the line as a whole generated some good chances. I know this doesn't really jive with your Ebs hate though so carry on.

I was watching the 3 goals our topline got owned on. Something that for most teams would be inexcusable.

Not to mention it occurring against one of the weakest opponents in the league playing a back to back on the road.

But I should take something else from the game? Our topline was the worst line on the ice.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Why are you guys hating on Raymond??

Guy is a legit top 6 forward.

Scored 20 goals in Vancouver and 19 in Toronto. Had a 45 and 50 point seasons... solid second liner who doesnt offer a lot of intangibles but can produce offense.

decent player...

I assure you no one here cares how "legit" of a top 6 forward Raymond is.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
With a day to get over my bitterness that we lost to a weak Calgary team at home yet again, I guess I fall more in line with the view that the team actually looked alright for the majority of the game. Of course, the defensive breakdowns were standard Oilers, but I'm willing to keep my pitchfork in the closet for a few games yet. Hopefully tomorrow goes better.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I really hope Nikitin was in preseason form.

I havnt watched him very much in the past few years but I always thought he seemed like an interesting player on paper.

He looked;
a) rusty
b) terrible
c) both a and b

Fayne was bad but looked like he has a good and varied skillset.
Ference can be foregiven for beating the **** out of stempniak last season....but he needs to use "leadership" to get wins or get the **** off the team because he is borderline useless at defending.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I really hope Nikitin was in preseason form.

I havnt watched him very much in the past few years but he seems like an interesting player on paper.

He looked;
a) rusty
b) terrible
c) both a and b

Fayne looked worse imo.

Nikitin looked rusty. Fayne looked like he could barely skate.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Why are you guys hating on Raymond??

Guy is a legit top 6 forward.

Scored 20 goals in Vancouver and 19 in Toronto. Had a 45 and 50 point seasons... solid second liner who doesnt offer a lot of intangibles but can produce offense.

decent player...

I always liked him, he gets the puck going in the right direction. He's a lot like Cogliano but a little more offensive minded.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not sure why everyone was pissed at Scrivens. Tipped shot off the post and in from a wide open dman, point blank one timer from 5 feet in front of the net, easy backdoor goal, and a goal where he made two ridiculous save before a wide open Flame potted the rebound.

The third goal wasn't great, but at the same time that's a goal NHL players score once in a while, a goalie can't be expected to stop those all the time. The Oilers fell apart in their own zone once again, this has to stop.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not sure why everyone was pissed at Scrivens. Tipped shot off the post and in from a wide open dman, point blank one timer from 5 feet in front of the net, easy backdoor goal, and a goal where he made two ridiculous save before a wide open Flame potted the rebound.

The third goal wasn't great, but at the same time that's a goal NHL players score once in a while, a goalie can't be expected to stop those all the time. The Oilers fell apart in their own zone once again, this has to stop.

Yeah, it's just always easy to blame the goalie. Only thing you can really blame Scrivens for on the first 2 goals was his weak playing of the puck. Every goalie in the league lets that 3rd goal in multiple times per season. 4th goal would have been a miracle to stop and on the fifth goal they left Scrivens to the shooting gallery. 4 out of 5 goals were the result of defensive break downs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Good goalies will bail their team out a few times, which Scrivens has done for us in the past but did not do so last night. He was out dueled by Ramo plain and simple

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Guess then end of training camp should of been about working on defensive coverage and not about evaluating prospect and fitness levels.....who knew??not the Oilers

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I was expecting this from Scrivens. He played sub .900 the last month of last season. Better get Fasth in there and hope he can bail us out on our 5 or so massive brainfarts per game. If not, time to start scapegoating Yak I guess.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was expecting this from Scrivens. He played sub .900 the last month of last season. Better get Fasth in there and hope he can bail us out on our 5 or so massive brainfarts per game. If not, time to start scapegoating Yak I guess.

Scrivens was not horrible and one game doesnt define him. I wouldn't mind seeing Fasth though. I've been a fan of his even in Anaheim

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
See it however you like I guess. An opportunity in the slot is still a grade A chance in my books even if Joey is shooting. :dunno: I'm not sure why some on here are trying to down grade everything the oilers actually did well. Whatever floats your boat but it makes this place pretty unbearable at times. Cough....GreatKeith.....Cough....

The fact of the matter is for 2/3 of the game the oilers dominated a team in every which way but the scoreboard and it was nice to see. The end result was hard to swallow and they need to improve in some key areas but they looked a hell of a lot better then they ever did last year. There was a lot to like about last nights game but I guess it's all about starting the witch hunt early this year:facepalm:

+1 Even though we lost, the team for the first 20 (other than the 2 stinkers at the beginning) looked night and day better than last year and gives me a glimmer of hope.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Scrivens was not horrible and one game doesnt define him. I wouldn't mind seeing Fasth though. I've been a fan of his even in Anaheim

I was kinda suggesting it's been a month and a game (and a pre-season game), but yeah, that's not a big sample size either. Unfortunately, the sample size of his whole career is pretty small and almost nonexistent as a #1, so we'll have to wait and see what we really have with him.

Definitely Fasth has been a more consistent high level performer for us in the short time we've had both guys. I would like to see him get the first shot at a run of games this year.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
We saw about 40 minutes of very good hockey and around 20 minutes of bad hockey. Especially in the second period we flat out dominated, I have never seen this team play like that before. 100% honestly, I'd rather lose after a good/decent performance than win after a bad performance. The former gives me a lot more hope for the future.

Before making any further conclusions about this team I want to see them against stacked teams. Last few years we basically always were absolutely murdered against teams like San Jose/Anaheim/Los Angeles/Boston/St. Louis etc.. If we're able to fight back and play well against them, I'm happy even if we don't win.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
We saw about 40 minutes of very good hockey and around 20 minutes of bad hockey. Especially in the second period we flat out dominated, I have never seen this team play like that before. 100% honestly, I'd rather lose after a good/decent performance than win after a bad performance. The former gives me a lot more hope for the future.

Before making any further conclusions about this team I want to see them against stacked teams. Last few years we basically always were absolutely murdered against teams like San Jose/Anaheim/Los Angeles/Boston/St. Louis etc.. If we're able to fight back and play well against them, I'm happy even if we don't win.

They gave it a good effort through 2 periods. There is hope depsite the bad positional defending. Hopefully they look at the flims and play more disciplined.

doggone

Nov 4, 2013
What happened to TSN's site? It's a total POS now. I can't find highlights of recent hockey games.

edit: this was likely a stupid comment, forgot about tsn losing hockey rights, I guess they're not allowed show highlights or something

tsn an absolute joke for anything regarding hockey now. From the revamped website that they should have have never re-tooled because its now garbage to their regional bias based on only the Jets Habs Sens they are a shadow of their former selves. Sad they couldn't come up with 5.3 billion to usurp Sportsnet as they used to be the best hockey broadcaster bar none. I don't think the pres of TSN gets any Xmas cards this year as Bob Mac and the boys are feeling left out.Cant blame them. We can only hope Sportsnet is close to the coverage we used to get. That Gord Downie guy was seriously bad.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
lets not lose our **** over one game. By the looks of it, few unlucky slips from one rusty game where we dominated the majority

Just need to see the dominance before we give up 2 or 3 goals. I remember joking a dozen times last year that we should just pull the goalie at the start of games and let in 2 or 3 right away so we can start actually playing hockey. This team looked all world last season when they were down 3. Unfortunately if they did manage to claw their way back to a tie they would look like they did in the 3rd period last game. Obviously the other team plays a part in us looking good because they sit back and give up momentum once they get a good lead.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Scrivens was not terrible.

Losing game one sucks and should not have happened. Hope they bounce back quickly.

Even tho hunt played okay if Marincin was playing I feel he could have helped the team more. Hunt needs to go and Marincin needs to be back ASAP.

Basically running 5 forwards on the PP is going to kill us this year. Eakins and Mac T are morons and need to get their **** together ASAP.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

It was a bad performance because just like last year they left guys wide open in the slot all night. Fire Eakin's already he's had a year to fix his damn system and seems incapable of doing it or the players seem incapable of learning it.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I assure you no one here cares how "legit" of a top 6 forward Raymond is.

Sure we do. Obviously a better pickup than anything the Oilers trotted out. Unrated player that could really be helpful

Got a hat trick in first Flames game. Oiler fans would be over the moon with that.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sure we do. Obviously a better pickup than anything the Oilers trotted out. Unrated player that could really be helpful

Got a hat trick in first Flames game. Oiler fans would be over the moon with that.

Second game.

The Flamers lost to Vancouver on Wednesday like 5-1 or something.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Second game.

The Flamers lost to Vancouver on Wednesday like 5-1 or something.

No, hard fought game, 4-2, decided by an empty net goal with Flames storming for the tying goal the whole 3rd period. Was actually a good game unlike what the Oilers put up.

Thing about the Flames is theres no passengers and guys that are instead digging deep and playing their best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad