Oilers lose 5-2. That's 10 in a row.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Good to have the Oil in the Peg looking forward to it tomorrow
I would imagine every team in the league is looking forward to playing us. You won't be physically challenged and as long as you keep the score close you can rely on being set up in the slot from the opposition. Or the breakaway and 2 on 1 chances you get while you are short handed. What's not to like.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Tickets were on resale for this game for 15bucks. How fitting is that?

Lots of them at reduced prices. 250 tickets on sale from one site alone for less than 50bucks.

Fitting as well that most people walked out of the game.

What I'd like to see from the crowd in response to the "make some noise" (annoying audio clip)

shout out in unison; "Fire Macblowe"

I'm really hoping for one of those alternating chants. One to the tune of "Let's go Oilers" with the words "Fi-re Eakins!" immediately followed by one to the tune of "go Oilers go" with the words "Lowe must go!"

"Fi-re Eakins!"
"Lowe must go!"

"Fi-re Eakins!"
"Lowe must go!"

I just don't know how to get MacT in there also...

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
See here is the problem, I don't mind what Mctavish has done with the roster, but what he's doing with the roster and what the coach wants out of a roster are at odds, now I'd be willing to give Mctavish the benefit of the doubt and think he learned his lesson about making sure the coach is on the same page with your roster moves but I'd also be totally fine canning him too because there is obviously a disconnect somewhere between what kinds of players they're getting and what kind of coaching they seem to want.

Still though, unless they are suddenly going to turn their backs on the young players who they have shown they are 100% committed to Eakins needs to be gone before the season even started since he obviously doesn't have any idea how to work with them. It is his job to make sure they are not making the mistakes they are making but if he can't do that after this many games he never will be able to.

Hard to put it all on Eakins (as bad as he likely is) when he's not even in charge of his bench. He originally inherited OBC assistants. It had been clearly stated by Renney that management was dictating ice time (and we have no idea what else). So much of Eakins' strange roster management strongly mirrors the baffling decisions MacT used to make. Who was also then under Lowe, coincidence much?

This team is so rotten we don't even know who to blame for their own screw-ups,
Petry leaves a man open in prime scoring space, the coach's system is stupid.
Coach makes mind numbing assignments, management told him to.
Management makes a stupid trade, which manager?
Scouting staff draft a player that ran over the coach's dog, the owner's kid told them to.
"Core players" and management act entitled and can't produce wins, owner said they're untouchable.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hard to put it all on Eakins (as bad as he likely is) when he's not even in charge of his bench. He originally inherited OBC assistants. It had been clearly stated by Renney that management was dictating ice time (and we have no idea what else). So much of Eakins' strange roster management strongly mirrors the baffling decisions MacT used to make. Who was also then under Lowe, coincidence much?

This team is so rotten we don't even know who to blame for their own screw-ups,
Petry leaves a man open in prime scoring space, the coach's system is stupid.
Coach makes mind numbing assignments, management told him to.
Management makes a stupid trade, which manager?
Scouting staff draft a player that ran over the coach's dog, the owner's kid told them to.
"Core players" and management act entitled and can't produce wins, owner said they're untouchable.
I don't think any sane coach would give Nikitin as much TOI as he's been given. I highly doubt they are showcasing him for a trade so what gives. If anyone has earned a PB seat it is him. I think there is some truth to the coach taking direct requests from the mgmt. I just don't understand any of the logic there. I don't believe MacT and Lowe are stupid pre se but the moves mgmt. are making are perplexing to say the least. One could argue they are trying to sabotage the season for McDavid and maybe they are becoming way too successful at losing that is doesn't look as subtle as they imagined. How else do you explain going into the season with no 2nd and 3rd line centers.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think any sane coach would give Nikitin as much TOI as he's been given. I highly doubt they are showcasing him for a trade so what gives. If anyone has earned a PB seat it is him. I think there is some truth to the coach taking direct requests from the mgmt. I just don't understand any of the logic there. I don't believe MacT and Lowe are stupid pre se but the moves mgmt. are making are perplexing to say the least. One could argue they are trying to sabotage the season for McDavid and maybe they are becoming way too successful at losing that is doesn't look as subtle as they imagined. How else do you explain going into the season with no 2nd and 3rd line centers.
Even your rationale doesn't make sense. I'm not trying to criticize you, I get where you're coming from, trying to make sense of the strange decisions. I just don't get why you spend the money and give the long term contracts that Mactavish handed out this off season if you're trying to tank. Especially in a weak year for free agents. Why not wait another season to splurge after you draft the wonder kid? Might help attracting better talent.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Mactavish really thought the team he built was going to be good enough to make huge strides forward. Says an awful lot about the competence of the GM.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Beat the Jets. That's your Stanley Cup right there. I'm putting 1013 on the Oil, 13 if Hutch starts in net.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Ferraro ripping into the Oilers on TSN 1040 (Vancouver) just now. The usual old boys club remarks, and bad management of salaries. He specifically mentioned pouliott, saying - "there's a reason he's been on 5 teams in 5 years, and the Oilers sign him to that contract." Or words to that affect. He mentioned Schultz and his contract as well. No mention of Nikitin, which IMO was the worst signing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Beat the Jets. That's your Stanley Cup right there. I'm putting 1013 on the Oil, 13 if Hutch starts in net.

Zuh is there even a rivalry with the Jets?

I hope they beat Calgary the next couple of times and the Flames miss the playoffs by that exact number of points.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Better win against the Jets, the schedule is really ugly after that. Home and Home vs the Sharks and Ducks? They could end up winless in 20.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
The worst part is we still can't even get a press conference. They say nothing. That's the only part that pisses me off

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The worst part is we still can't even get a press conference. They say nothing. That's the only part that pisses me off

It's pretty well known this is the game plan and they are on schedule. There's nothing to say cause this is just part of the process to winning - Everyone knows that. :sarcasm:

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Bob Stauffer said today that MacT will likely be holding a press conference at some point this week. Didn't specify a day.

As I said before, be Friday, and later in the day. Best possible time to duck as much responsibility as possible, most media have already filed their reports that day, it's right on the weekend so it won't be as noticeable, and 2 whole days afterwards for things to cool down so there is less heat on the clowns. One thing you can say positively about the organization, when it comes to minimizing the blame to the top people, no one in sports does it better than the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad