Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 4-1

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One ref may think an infraction is a penalty while another may not. Penalties are completely discretionary based on the refs opinion.

Offsides are not. They have a clear cut rule in the rulebook as to what an offside is and there is zero gray area.

Actually, some of these offsides calls are so close that they do become judgment calls so there are gray areas occasionally. Some penalties can be reviewed that are complete phantom calls, no gray areas.

It is what it is so no amount of complaining is going to fix it. I just think the rule blows, I sigh every time a coach does the challenge. You just watch though, if this happens during a game or even worse series winning celebration and the players have to come back on the ice, there will be an uproar or even worse, it will take away from a potentially classic moment.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
We got flat out outworked in that game, both physically and from a mental focus standpoint.

We have to stop floating into games and waiting for other teams to set the tone before we figure out a way to respond. All year we have been able to snap out of it after a period at most, but it caught up to us tonight and we can't expect it to go any other way from here on out.

Every damn game it takes at least a period for them to figure out that they have the most success getting pucks out, in deep and on the goal. For whatever reason it seems that they need a constant kick in the ass to remember to play the game right instead of pretty.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
LA and Flames get 2 pts tonight.. NSH gets 1... Oilers **** the bed..

teams in a playoff spot gaining points concerns me less than teams trying to get into a playoff spot ie LA and Calgary

we best thing is that those two play each other 4 times in the final 20 games so someone has to lose :yo:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Problem is that this review rule as it exists serves only to reduce offense. How often do you think a potential scoring play is blown dead because a linesmen blows it offside when it actually isn't? But that play isn't reviewable.

The NHL either needs to scrap the review process entirely, or adjust offside so that there is more leeway for the players entering the zone.
That's the problem I have with it. It doesn't go both ways. Every other type of challenge you can overturn for a goal all the offside challenge does is take away goals in a goal starved era.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
The first game of a back-to-back, we played like it was the second game of a back-to-back. Tampa had so much more jump than we did. They beat us to pucks all night long, out worked and out hustled us.

Were we trying to preserve energy for tomorrow's game?

Oh, we'll still come out flat as hell tomorrow for the first period, and dig up a myriad of excuses why. Some things never change.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
alright.. lets go with we were close..
Klefbom had issues handling the TB midgets defensively and made bad reads allowing the cycle to continue. Draisaitl was far from confident with the puck and looked gassed all night. Slepy-Letestu\Hendricks-Pakman line was the only one that was physical and that looked dangerous offensively.

The ball is really in Chia's court... Not sure what else McLellan can do as a coach when our 6M players look like passengers compared to our AHL callups

I doubt there's a defenceman in the league the TB midgets haven't cycled around before. My point is, the offence will always get their chances. Many of the best D-men in the league will have to deal with extended cycles, it's not ONE defenceman's job to stop it, it's a team defense thing.

I don't know, I thought Drai was good. I wonder if your opinion of him would be the same if he picked up that assist on the goal called back. He did good things on that shift.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
The disallowed goal was a total back-breaker. It was also total ********. The offside had nothing to do with the actual scoring play.

This is my issue with the challenge as-is... the offside was so far before the scoring play that it had no effect on the goal. I would agree with it on something like a 2 on 1 where the goal comes off the rush, but not like this. If the linesman called it dead then fine, they didn't so play should carry on.

I'm all for getting the call right, but you shouldn't nullify a minute of play and change the flow of the game for an offside that didn't affect the goal. Also, the stoppage itself disrupts the flow of the game and kills the momentum for the attacking team.

Ideally I'd like the challenge to go away and never come back, but a delay of game for an unsuccessful challenge would at least discourage its casual use.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Despite another lazy game, the untimely event of Davidson's stick breaking and Russell's misadventure combined with the disallowed goal were the difference in at least getting one point tonight.

It sucks Nashville started their backup against a team they are in a wildcard battle with and coughed up 2 points to Calgary and Colorado is the free space on the bingo card.

Looking at this 6 game road trip, I was hoping for a .500 showing out of it. They need to get their **** figured out for tomorrow and get a win but the way Florida has been playing, it's a tough task.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
This is my issue with the challenge as-is... the offside was so far before the scoring play that it had no effect on the goal. I would agree with it on something like a 2 on 1 where the goal comes off the rush, but not like this. If the linesman called it dead then fine, they didn't so play should carry on.

I'm all for getting the call right, but you shouldn't nullify a minute of play and change the flow of the game for an offside that didn't affect the goal. Also, the stoppage itself disrupts the flow of the game and kills the momentum for the attacking team.

Ideally I'd like the challenge to go away and never come back, but a delay of game for an unsuccessful challenge would at least discourage its casual use.

Couldn't agree more... a failed challenge should result in a delay of game penalty. Also the offside challenge should come with a time limit (i.e. if the offside happened after "x" amount of seconds, the goal still stands)

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

It had a direct effect on the goal. If the offside is called the play resumes in the neutral zone and who knows what happens from there.

Like I said, I don't like it but I fully understand why they have it in place.

The one thing I would say NEEDS to happen is the time since the offside needs to be put back on the clock. I don't know why this isn't in place and is a bad way to go about it.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Haven't read the whole thread and I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but 1 ****in powerplay in the last 2 games, like wtf?

I know that there were a lot of passengers tonight and I'm not blaming the loss on the lack of PP's but, **** me, NHL reffing is atrocious. :shakehead

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Awful game. No sense of urgency except for you know who. LB didn't have a chance on any of the goals, but he is a slower goalie than Talbot. Team was vastly outworked.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
For the 100th time, why todd never tried RNH with McDavid ?

Put RNH on McDavid wing
Letestu to 3rd line center
Caggiula or Khaira as the fourth line center

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
For the 100th time, why todd never tried RNH with McDavid ?

Put RNH on McDavid wing
Letestu to 3rd line center
Caggiula or Khaira as the fourth line center

For the 100th time, because RNH is not remotely suited for playing wing.

And besides, why would we want to play our best player with such a horrible black hole in RNH? Everyone is so concerned about getting RNH going. What about keeping McDavid going. RNH is poison to whoever he plays with. Keep him far away from McDavid.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Back seized up. What does this mean? Any previous examples of this happening to NHL players.

I vaguely remember Joensuu having back issues like this. Can't remember exactly if it was seizing though... But if it was Joensuuu was out for quite a while because of it. Hopefully it's nothing.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Back seized up. What does this mean? Any previous examples of this happening to NHL players.

I vaguely remember Joensuu having back issues like this. Can't remember exactly if it was seizing though... But if it was Joensuuu was out for quite a while because of it. Hopefully it's nothing.

Doesn't sound good.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Hopefully they just shut him down for precautionary reasons.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Some of you guys need to step back from the edge. Take a minute to be rational and try to understand that we are less then a year removed from being the 2nd/3rd worst team in the league for the past 4-5 years. It's gonna take time and every now and then there is gonna be a step backwards and even good teams have bad games.

Now I will concede the whole challenging thing is getting annoying especially in this case where the goal is scored 30-40 seconds after the play in question but that is just a bad play by Draisaitl, he needs to have the awareness to make that play. I mean look at NFL receivers who catch a ball while diving out of bounds with a corner draped all over them and still have the awareness to get their feet down drag their toes and stay in bounds. Can't be sloppy and have to be aware whenever you're on the ice and Draisaitl was sloppy a lot tonight.

Whole team just seemed out of sync tonight. Even McD didn't look right, timing was off and they we're bobbling pucks. I can't help but think it's getting a bit frustrating for him when game after game guys who can be talented hockey players like RNH and Ebs are passengers.

I've defended RNH for a long time because I really feel like he does compete and he tries to be useful when not scoring but he really needs to get his head in it and start playing like he's capable of.

I'd like to see guys like Slepy or Pakarinen get a chance next to McDavid, they come to work every night and do it in all 3 zones, they both have good speed and size and both like to shoot the puck.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Haven't read the whole thread and I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but 1 ****in powerplay in the last 2 games, like wtf?

I know that there were a lot of passengers tonight and I'm not blaming the loss on the lack of PP's but, **** me, NHL reffing is atrocious. :shakehead

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. :rant:

It's actually 1 PP in the last three games. Yes your right the officiating is totally going against the Oilers lately. And most of our opponents PP have been weak a$$ calls too.

Not much the Oilers can do about it...maybe go have a meeting with the NHL? LOL
Loser Phlegms! :laugh:

Edit: we had one against Chicago and one tonight. So we've had two in the past three games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad