Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 4-1

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
It happened last year. Penguins down 3-2 in the series to Lightning. Game 6 Drouin scores the games first goal of the game but its disallowed as it was offside by inches. After that point Penguins took over the rest of the game.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Offside rule came into effect because a couple linesmen ****ed up very hard on a Duchene goal a couple years ago (I believe most remember), so in those situations, scoring on the rush, it makes sense.

But the NHL is solving a problem it's inventing, and looking stupid doing it.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Good thing we finally have some good defensive depth now. Hopefully Larsson won't be out for long but it is fortunate that Nurse will be coming back soon. I can't see how Davidson can be traded now if Larsson is out for any extended period of time.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
McBigYak the voice of logic and reason amongst all these silly challenge comments.

Time and distance offsides does not matter, and shouldn't. It's a black and white rule, by introducing those elements you'd only be creating grey area and subjective judgement. You guys are better than this.

If you want to get rid of reviewable offsides altogether, fine - but I don't think most of you grasp the consequences of the changes you're suggesting.

They made 100% the right call on an objectively illegal play, isn't that what people want?

Posted this numerous times in numerous threads but I'm in favour of scrapping video review altogether. The worst part of it is that it doesn't get the call 100% correct 100% of the time and that's the reason for having it. Many of these reviews are so close they end up becoming judgement calls just like what the officials make on the ice. In the end you frequently get a call that's disputed anyway plus you've stopped the game for five or ten minutes or longer. Another flaw they have in their system is game officials trying to resolve the matter themselves with a small iPad screen at the penalty box for coaches reviews while regular reviews are done by league officials on big screens in Toronto. That's never made any sense to me. If it's going to be done it needs to be done with the best equipment by impartial people.

I could probably live with video review just to determine if the puck is in the net or not but even that hasn't been infallible. Lots of disputes over the years with that too. Bottom line is this was introduced to make the game better and it hasn't. Get rid of all of it and let the officials do their jobs.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The goalie interference challenge has some actual value, and the refs and league seem to be getting better at calling the challenges with some common sense applied. They should have just started with the goalie interference one though, and seen how much extra delay it adds to games. Not sure there would have been an appetite to add the off-side challenge as well after this season if they got to experience the time used up for the goalie interference.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I definitely agree it lessens the entertainment value of the game. After every goal I'm immediately wondering if there was some goaltender interference, then later sometimes offside is challenged. Totally takes away from being able to celebrate a team scoring.

That's a bigger factor for me than a team losing momentum over a correct call that disallows a goal.

They've put themselves in a tough spot. Now if they stop allowing offside challenges there will inevitably be human error and people *****ing that goals shouldn't have counted due to being 2 inches offside.

I think the logical step is to get some good cameras right on the line and directly above and at least get rid of that skate off the ice stuff. Make it look like a photo finish picture and judge from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad