Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 3 - 2 to Buffalo in Battle for Last Place

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Oh oh, might have a couple of tier 1 fans here
Or a PR plant?

Either way, guess you're new to HFB.

Is true, am new. Joined 3 months after you.
Fans are not tiered customers are. Fan is a fan and in my case I'm fantastic.

Don't actually care about the title of a thread or any of the pretend people writing here.

Seriously little avatar. All is for fun.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
LOL people whining about a thread title and pointing to a 4 out of 5 wins when we are getting outshoot and outplayed badly. Here is a clue, if the oilers want to be taken seriously then they should stay in the playoff race longer than Christmas time.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
LOL people whining about a thread title and pointing to a 4 out of 5 wins when we are getting outshoot and outplayed badly. Here is a clue, if the oilers want to be taken seriously then they should stay in the playoff race longer than Christmas time.

I don't know that I overall complained about too many wins. Generally there is something I might not like, but I'd point out a bunch of positives.

Last night though was embarrassing for a lot of guys on this club. You want to play like that against CHI, BOS or SJ fine, but when you start playing like that against Buffalo it's outright embarrassing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe they should actually try to win. I haven't seen too many good efforts lately.

Hendricks was our best forward last night when he really shouldn't be.

Oct 15, 2008

We were out of the playoff race by Halloween.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm hoping this Olympic break works as a way to re-vitalize these guys. Give most of them some time away from the day to day stuff and the city get a little bit of energy back into their games. Go see families, heck go for a short vacation. The season is over, everyone knows that. But everyone needs to come back after the two week break and treat the final 22 games like they matter.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
eh, who cares?

the league also rewards "free agency" to popular large markets who hold huge amounts of money. the rest of the trash gets divided up with dumb bloated contracts.

unless you have two better ideas that are feasible then the exploitable will be exploited.

Relegation. Like I said. But the phony pro sports world in NA would never have it.

Its great. Bad orgs end up where they belong and good orgs rise to the top.

If you're operating on a competition first and foremost model than relegation is your baby.

If all that matters is deriving income and the sporting event and competition is actually secondary then the dreck we have in place is what leads to games like this.

In some seasons I've counted as many as 8 teams in the tank. A league like this, which is gate driven, and with expensive ticket prices in some locales has this going on?!

Its such a joke that fans should engage in class action suits to get their money back for years where "The team is going to compete this year" but then instead dives into the tank. That is entirely misrepresentation of product. That's the worst of all. Something this org has made a habit of.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not that I think relegation is a bad idea or anything but the NHL lacks the ability to actually have teams that could support teams outside the 30 especially if we're talking AHL.

I think the idea of non-guaranteed contracts would work a lot better, (I know I know union would never go for it), but perhaps a system like the NFL where a certain amount of money is guaranteed and you could still release players.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not that I think relegation is a bad idea or anything but the NHL lacks the ability to actually have teams that could support teams outside the 30 especially if we're talking AHL.

I think the idea of non-guaranteed contracts would work a lot better, (I know I know union would never go for it), but perhaps a system like the NFL where a certain amount of money is guaranteed and you could still release players.

The NHL is heading that way. There was talk after this last lockout how all the union is doing is holding out as long as they can as they know eventually it will come.

Last edited:

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
Not sure whats going on but the most dispirited play I've ever seen from Sam.

Either he's trying to be so bad he can't be traded or he's fed up with being here. Not sure whats going on.

Is the coach kill on?

Sometimes looks like that. Other than Hall all the better players this year have been new recruits and all the returning players seem far worse than they were under Krueger.

Could Eberle play any worse? Rhetorical question.

I agree with what you're saying, but my comment is concerning RNH. Sure he picks up his points and makes some nice plays, at times, but I sure haven't been very impressed with his game this year. I'm beginning to wonder how effective he can really be in this league given his size and always having to go up against the other team's top line / defensive pairing.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
I'm hoping this Olympic break works as a way to re-vitalize these guys. Give most of them some time away from the day to day stuff and the city get a little bit of energy back into their games. Go see families, heck go for a short vacation. The season is over, everyone knows that. But everyone needs to come back after the two week break and treat the final 22 games like they matter.

Agree. Sure improved play might lead to a worse pick but I don't care. I wanna see something - anything - encouraging heading into next season. Either signs that Eakins isn't as terrible a coach as he appears to be or vast improvement from our underperforming players or the emergence of a legit starting goalie.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I agree with what you're saying, but my comment is concerning RNH. Sure he picks up his points and makes some nice plays, at times, but I sure haven't been very impressed with his game this year. I'm beginning to wonder how effective he can really be in this league given his size and always having to go up against the other team's top line / defensive pairing.

Not sure why you think hes not going to get bigger?

Nicolas Backstrom is who I compare him to. Came in the league a wee boy, turned into a man. No reason at all to think when RNH is fully grown he wont be 200-205 lbs. The kid cant even grow a mustache yet.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I'd love non-guaranteed contracts. The NFL is the best-run pro sports league in NA AINEC.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'd love non-guaranteed contracts. The NFL is the best-run pro sports league in NA AINEC.

but I see more players in the NFL than in any other sport holding out for a renegotiated contract if they feel they are outperforming their current one. it's not all good.

but on topic, I have no problem in people still calling out the team despite 4 wins in 5. the fact is they played like crap through most of it.
not counting the goalies, of course.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
but I see more players in the NFL than in any other sport holding out for a renegotiated contract if they feel they are outperforming their current one. it's not all good.

but on topic, I have no problem in people still calling out the team despite 4 wins in 5. the fact is they played like crap through most of it.
not counting the goalies, of course.

It goes both ways. Teams ask star players to renegotiate all the time so that they can add better players.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Relegation. Like I said. But the phony pro sports world in NA would never have it.

If you're operating on a competition first and foremost model than relegation is your baby.

If all that matters is deriving income and the sporting event and competition is actually secondary then the dreck we have in place is what leads to games like this.

In some seasons I've counted as many as 8 teams in the tank. A league like this, which is gate driven, and with expensive ticket prices in some locales has this going on?!

Its such a joke that fans should engage in class action suits to get their money back for years where "The team is going to compete this year" but then instead dives into the tank. That is entirely misrepresentation of product. That's the worst of all. Something this org has made a habit of.

I actually agree with you for the most part of your post. In North America, the business comes first. But that's not really a surprise, is it? In a capitalist world, money will always come first. That's the way the world has evolved. And it's sad. But it is what it is, and it hasn't changed, so I'm not sure why it even comes up. I don't like getting into politics/economics, and it bugs me when people bring politics/economics to a forum about sports.

As for your last paragraph, if the league actually thought that a team was intentionally tanking, they would take actions (and have in the past... I believe it was the Pens who got a 1st taken away from them one year?). When a team has as many players in the top of their category (Nuge is 21st C, Hall is 3rd (though more like second) best LW, Eberle is tied for 8th best RW, etc..) as we do, I really don't think that you can consider this team trying to fail. It's more so incompetence and I'm guessing the league higherups can see that. However, when a team puts a borderline player like Omark on their top line and plays their backup who is 1-11-5 now, against the only team they have competition for the number one position come draft time, that to me screams intentional tank...

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

No.

This absolutely kills parity. Parity is paramount to a healthy league.

Relegation works in soccer because the top teams have other competitions like Champion's league to make things interesting. If those tournaments didn't exist (and they cannot in hockey), relegation in soccer would kill the sport. Only the top few teams would have any chance to win anything and it would be pretty uninteresting.

Oct 15, 2008
No.

This absolutely kills parity. Parity is paramount to a healthy league.

Relegation works in soccer because the top teams have other competitions like Champion's league to make things interesting. If those tournaments didn't exist (and they cannot in hockey), relegation in soccer would kill the sport. Only the top few teams would have any chance to win anything and it would be pretty uninteresting.

Relegation doesnt kill parity.

The disparity in payroll does.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com

We need performance based bonuses to be a big part of players contracts. Not the whole thing, they still get their base. Give them something to play for. You can't tell me that the Oilers players making 6m/year wouldn't be trying harder on a 3 or 4 million a year contract with bonuses up to 7 million. You can even structure them by player, depending on what their intangibles are...time on ice being very key.

I don't know...obviously something we have all thought of and can see the benefits of. But the NHLPA would never go for it.

I dont' know maybe make it so that whatever bonus they don't get at the end of that year, it would be pooled together for their retirement, or into a charity of the players choice

Last edited:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Why? The games dont matter. As others have said this team has to show up from the first game of the season so that these games do matter. If they end up going on a winning streak now it's likely to be a false sense of hope to the team, the fans, the players and management. They'll take it as a sign that they really are a good team and they've turned a corner and next season will be different. Then October comes and they're not playing against teams that are coasting after already clinching a playoff spot and we quickly learn how bad this team is once again. Just like this string of 4 wins in the last 5 games is a mirage caused by good teams that are looking towards the Olympic break so will wins to finish off the season. I hope they lose every remaining game and we all know how bad this team really is so we're not so easily convinced that MacT is making great moves when he signs another 7th defenceman and a 4th line winger in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad