Oilers Lose 3-2 Still can't beat the West...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think there's any doubt that the Oilers have had the puck more this season.

The problem is they still suck with and without it.

The bolded especially.

My point being obviously that improved shot totals wasn't going to matter much if the club is pursuing 4 players to a corner leaving the slot wide open when they don't have the puck. With several such hockey hallmark moments already mounted.

its like a patient has brain cancer and treatment is filling cavities..

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2015.html

Oilers have actually had the 16th toughest schedule so far this season based on the SOS stat (measures gf/ga of every team's competition in every game).

So basically they are right at average in terms of "toughness" of their schedule so far.

Looking at the Oilers 6 wins so far:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2015.html

The teams they have beaten are ranked as follows under the SRS rating (takes into account goals differentials and each team's strength of schedule)

Tampa Bay 3rd
Washington 16th
Montreal 19th
NY Rangers 20th
Carolina 28th
Buffalo 30th

You can see the Oilers have only beaten one truly "good" team so far.. Tampa Bay. The other 5 wins were vs middling to downright poor teams.

Wins are wins and I'm the 1st one to say that... 2 pts in any game is a GOOD thing :) but obviously this team isn't anywhere near being a strong team yet and won't be until they can consistently stay with the better teams in the league and especially the better Western conference teams.

dobiezeke*

The thing is there's oppurtunities to upgrade in these positions but this franchise just has blinders on.

The Scrivens move, ok, that was fine, but I don't think getting Fasth was a great move. We could've gone after Jonas Hiller instead.

We could've had Johnny Boychuk instead of Nikita Nikitin.

Adam Larsson is probably available right now for a reasonable price.

This org just doesn't move on deals when they're available or blows their wad too early.

13 other teams aren't in the playoff hunt right now - how many have stated they are offering a reasonable price for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad