Oilers lose 3-2 in a close one. Get well soon, Nurse!

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Well heres my response. Pouliot is a career vet 4th NHL pick that was highly regarded in the draft that has NEVER scored 20 goals even while repeatedly being gifted topsix minutes by teams eager to try to kickstart his talent.

Pouliot, unlike Yak, is past his prime and has had 10 seasons to try to find his topsix game.

The irony being people on the board saying Yak is a bust, several of those posts going on and a dedicated thread. But you choose to call out one comment about Pouliot. :amazed:

It hasn't been since his days with the Wild that he was gifted topsix minutes so he's earned in his role on the multiple teams he's played on since then. Sure you can call Pouliot a bust relative to his draft position but I'll give him credit for carving out a path and finding a role that has been useful on contending teams. Yakupov might need to take note as he could being going down a similar path but it's too soon for me to take that stance on that.

When it comes to the forum members writing Yak off as a bust when he won't be playing with McDavid, I'm with you but I chose to not engage with them as it's not even worth the discussion. I see you as someone who can actually add interesting analysis and perspective but I will always take issue when it comes to your hypocrisy on players you like and don't like. Like your issues with RNH, which I agree with, but refused to criticize Gagner for similar issues. Or going after Ference for his character when he was signed but then applauding the acquisition of Kassian.

When are you going to start holding yourself accountable on positions you take for some players you like but not others? Or is going against the common opinion your shtick?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Needs to work on his shot, offensive positioning, getting more set for one timers.

not sure what it is. I don't know if its a Russian thing where he see's OV being able to snipe shots even when it appears he isn't set. Obviously Yak can't do that. But something as elemental as reading when passes might be coming. On one play I mentioned Letestu has an opportunity to feed Yak who didn't notice. Eberle would have been in better position and would have read that play. It is frustrating Yak isn't further along.

This is where I am with Yak. I had a similar moment in the prior game, where Hall, Draisaitl and Purcell were on the ice. Not sure if Purcell touched the puck earlier in the sequence, but Hall and Draisaitl were establishing board dominance with a couple back and forths. Meanwhile, Purcell came from behind the net, recognized he was not needed on the boards and drifted backwards into the slot opening himself up as a shooter. Good shot, no goal, but a recognition of a time when stealth and calm work wonders.

I would really like Yakupov to find a McLellan sanctioned and trusted mentor, who can break down plays with him and figure out different options. Yak seems like he wants to learn, but maybe has received too many pieces of advice from too many people.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It hasn't been since his days with the Wild that he was gifted topsix minutes so he's earned in his role on the multiple teams he's played on since then. Sure you can call Pouliot a bust relative to his draft position but I'll give him credit for carving out a path and finding a role that has been useful on contending teams. Yakupov might need to take note as he could being going down a similar path but it's too soon for me to take that stance on that.

When it comes to the forum members writing Yak off as a bust when he won't be playing with McDavid, I'm with you but I chose to not engage with them as it's not even worth the discussion. I see you as someone who can actually add interesting analysis and perspective but I will always take issue when it comes to your hypocrisy on players you like and don't like. Like your issues with RNH, which I agree with, but refused to criticize Gagner for similar issues. Or going after Ference for his character when he was signed but then applauding the acquisition of Kassian.

When are you going to start holding yourself accountable on positions you take for some players you like but not others? Or is going against the common opinion your shtick?

Thanks for the more reasonable reply.

Thing is, you assume its hypocrisy.

I make a major distinction between players granted plum roles on teams and those that are not and have production expectations consistent with that basis.

First line players playing with very good offensive talent should get good production. McDavid and Drai are showing us we should have expected more from Nuge.

As far as Pouliot I call him an extremely talented player. A player that can be dominant and an allstar in this league. He's strong, can be mean, a Power forward, anything he likes. I think perhaps you don't get my critique of the player. My criticism of Pouliot is not about what his skillbase is. Its what he's delivered. Throughout his career. The only one that limits him is Benoit.

For sure Yak can learn some things from Pouliot who does offer an asset of being a very talented player we can slot in with very good players and not look out of place.

All that aside being an Oilr fan is often frustrating and I can see where people get on players. But that's why I try to focus on actual plays and not "this player sucks" this player is "bust" and so on.

hope this is clear

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
See I dont have a problem with Yak, but this last little convo is what I have the problem with and why I always argue against Yak.

Supporters always try and make Yak into something hes not a top6 winger. Meanwhile they try and make Yak look comparable to Hall or RHN, or Eberle.

Yak is a 15 goal and 35 point guy proven over the last how many seasons.

People blame linemates for his low production, yet completely ignore that he has been on the PP for how many years now? Yes PP is 5 vs 4 yes thats a huge advantage to get points and shouldnt be ignored.

The bold is what confuses me as well.

Not sure how any honest, objective person can say that Yakupov is even in the same league as Hall, RNH, and Eberle. The "but they were gifted minutes!" argument is so poor. There's a reason that they play up in the lineup. They actually produce.

Yakupov hasn't been able to find chemistry with anyone outside of Roy and a generational centre that pulled him along for the ride, and it isn't difficult to see why. His positioning is completely unpredictable, he makes confusing decisions with the puck, he has difficulty making accurate passes (when he does they are way too hard), etc. There are way, way more reasons than minutes and linemates as to why Yakupov has been so ineffective.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
It's really simple, my friend. He was a first overall pick. He hasn't met expectations, and that causes frustration.

It's funny, because everyone here is satisfied w/ Kassian, but if we had picked him 13th overall and this is where he was at 6 years later everyone would be extremely dissatisfied, and would be happy to trade him for Ben Scrivens.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Not sure how any honest, objective person can say that Yakupov is even in the same league as Hall, RNH, and Eberle. The "but they were gifted minutes!" argument is so poor. There's a reason that they play up in the lineup. They actually produce.

Yakupov hasn't been able to find chemistry with anyone outside of Roy and a generational centre that pulled him along for the ride, and it isn't difficult to see why. His positioning is completely unpredictable, he makes confusing decisions with the puck, he has difficulty making accurate passes (when he does they are way too hard), etc. There are way, way more reasons than minutes and linemates as to why Yakupov has been so ineffective.

Way too hard...
Not really such a thing at this level. If it's on the tape the guy should be able to handle it.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Putting RNH in the same sentence as Hall and Eberle is laughable. He has played with Hall and Eberle pretty much his entire career until recently, when that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line was assembled under Nelson and lit it up. This season, though, they've been terrible together.

Yakupov has rarely ever played with Hall on the other hand. And that means something when Hall has been the only guy who can create offense by himself until this season, with Drai and McDavid coming in.

But either way you look at it, both RNH and Yak have been the most disappointing 1st overalls since maybe Fleury or DiPietro. It's not like they were no-skill bums either. Both showed dynamic qualities in their rookie seasons, but now one is a third liner, and the other is an okay 2nd line center. They've been horribly mismanaged.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Putting RNH in the same sentence as Hall and Eberle is laughable. He has played with Hall and Eberle pretty much his entire career until recently, when that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line was assembled under Nelson and lit it up. This season, though, they've been terrible together.

Yakupov has rarely ever played with Hall on the other hand. And that means something when Hall has been the only guy who can create offense by himself until this season, with Drai and McDavid coming in.

But either way you look at it, both RNH and Yak have been the most disappointing 1st overalls since maybe Fleury or DiPietro. It's not like they were no-skill bums either. Both showed dynamic qualities in their rookie seasons, but now one is a third liner, and the other is an okay 2nd line center. They've been horribly mismanaged.

I am sure playing for the Oilers has not been all sunshine and lollipops for the RNH and Yakupov's development, but they also were 1st overalls from weak drafts. I would be more upset if guys like Landeskog, Huberdeau, Strome, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, etc... were elite game breakers; however, the forwards from the 2011 and 2012 drafts are not among the better tier of players drafted near the top of the 2010, 2014, and 2015 NHL drafts.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Way too hard...
Not really such a thing at this level. If it's on the tape the guy should be able to handle it.

Huh?

Yes, a pass can be too hard at any level. If a guy rifles a pass it is more difficult to handle and make a play with than a pass at an appropriate speed, even in the NHL.

oilz89*

Only gripe I have about that game is that I wish SOMEONE went over and tuned up Wideman for shoving McDavid after the whistle. Take a penalty, who cares.

What would that even do? McDavid got pushed softly and we got a pp out of it. We tuned them up by scoring another goal. What would punching Wideman do? Make him scared? Or cry? "yeah that will show them"...

oilz89*

He doesnt have offense for top pairing guy imo. Although maybe in a best case scenerio he winds up as a solid #3. Upside is a Tanev/Braun/ Hjmalrsson type guy

Hes really developing well tho. He plays mistake free hockey and a decent first passer

I see him as a Braun 2.0 too, which is great. Great pick by us hopefully

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I am sure playing for the Oilers has not been all sunshine and lollipops for the RNH and Yakupov's development, but they also were 1st overalls from weak drafts. I would be more upset if guys like Landeskog, Huberdeau, Strome, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, etc... were elite game breakers; however, the forwards from the 2011 and 2012 drafts are not among the better tier of players drafted near the top of the 2010, 2014, and 2015 NHL drafts.

Fair point, but 1st overalls are typically the premier talents of the draft. RNH and Yak should be at least a little bit better than they are now even if the draft classes were weak. I find it hard to believe that the Oilers drafted two of the worst 1st overalls in a while, one right after the other.

McDavid really did save this team when I think about it.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Fair point, but 1st overalls are typically the premier talents of the draft. RNH and Yak should be at least a little bit better than they are now even if the draft classes were weak. I find it hard to believe that the Oilers drafted two of the worst 1st overalls in a while, one right after the other.

McDavid really did save this team when I think about it.

RNH will be fine. He's obviously not going to produce offensively like McDavid and Draisaitl will across their careers; however, if he ends up as a defensively responsible 50-60 point player then that is an OK role in which to settle. The question remains is that $6M/year contract going to make him cap casualty once the Oilers need to pay their top two centers the money they will demand on their next contracts?

Yakupov remains a difficult player to assess. He has great skating and shot, but the learning curve has been difficult for him at times across his NHL career. Comparing him to his successful days in Sarnia it appears that his style of play has suffered the most when attempting to adjust to the increased size, speed, and smarts of NHL opponents. He has the right coach in McLellan to help him adjust, and I believe his career projects more as a middle-6 winger, who can move up or down when needed, rather than a consistent 1st line player. If he accepts that role and the salary that goes along with it, then he may have a long future in Edmonton.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think Kassian will be a perfect compliment to the Nuge a big power forward . Pisses me off he broke his hand right before McDavid came back.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I am fine with Yak. He will be good on our 3rd line (too bad we spent a 1OA on a 3rd liner) but he will be one that is able to move up the lineup if injuries happen. He will likely get paid like a low 2nd / high 3rd liner so I'm not too concerned. If he ever gets his sh#t together then keeping him will look even better, if not, it doesn't really handcuff the organization. It's not like he doesn't belong in the NHL and he will be just fine playing beside Nuge to finish out the season. I think he will prove to be a great bottom six depth guy. The only thing that sucks royally is that we spent 1OA on him. Meh, I chalk it up to a fairly weak draft year and the old regime's incompetence.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

That's on the coach.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
RNH will be fine. He's obviously not going to produce offensively like McDavid and Draisaitl will across their careers;

Not trying to pick on you specifically, but this is classic what have you done for me lately...
RNH had 52 pts in 62 games as an 18 year old, and has produced between 50-60 pts every year. Draisaitl hasn't even completed one full season and had 7 points in his first season before being sent down after nearly 40 games. Drai hasn't even played a full season yet... he could easily regress. It's been known to happen.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
The most impressive thing to me about the last few games has been goals from our D. Outside of Sekera, our D has been producing nothing. Gryba, Fayne and Davidson with goals in our last two games. Hopefully this sparks some confidence when they throw it on net.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Kassian will be a perfect compliment to the Nuge a big power forward . Pisses me off he broke his hand right before McDavid came back.

Yeah its pretty unfortunate. If he's out 7 weeks we'll still get him for 13 games to end the year. If Klef is back before then and we can close the gap on a playoff spot to within 4 points out, and don't suffer any more serious injuries, this team could definitely make a push in those last dozen games.

Whether you run Nuge with Hall and Drai (which was ridiculously dangerous when together), or keep Hall-Drai-Purcell, Pouliot-McD-Ebs, Kassian-Nuge-Yak, this team will a ton of offence that might be able to make up for the D.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The most impressive thing to me about the last few games has been goals from our D. Outside of Sekera, our D has been producing nothing. Gryba, Fayne and Davidson with goals in our last two games. Hopefully this sparks some confidence when they throw it on net.

Actually speaking of this, McDavid makes our shot from the point actually effective on the PP. He moves the puck so quick and is constantly moving that other guys are starting to follow and its opening up lanes for point shots to get through. The Pouliot tip goal, and Sekera's goal last night are prime examples of why Connor makes our PP so much better. Imagine if we had an actual bomb on the point like Burns or Byfuglien. When Klefs back that should add even more to an already very good power play.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
So I watched the highlights on TSN last night. Included in the highlights was:

-them saying it was Mcdavid screening the goal for the Sekera shot (it was Pouliot. McDavids not going to be the guy in front of the net screening the point shot).

-showing the Nurse fight but not showing his parents (one of the best parts of the highlights package)

-showing the cheap-shot on McDavid and not mentioing that they got a powerplay out of it. Instead Dutchy said "Kassian's got to go and do something about that". I guess they ignored the fact that Kassian doesnt play on that line, and no, you dont go and negate a powerplay by roughing up a guy that gave a small cheap shot like that.

Very disappointed with the TSN highlights, especially since the Oilers were really standing up for themselevs in that game. TSN will just further propagate the stereotype of the lack of team toughness and standing up for their stars.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
^theyre trying to shape public opinion that this stuff happens to MCD and goes unanswered(all part of their propaganda: no teammates stick up for him(false) and by not showing a penalty call, the refs don't either) to get him more powerplays. Tsn has mcd's back and they want googly eye stats from him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad