Oilers lose 3-2 in a close one. Get well soon, Nurse!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's really simple, my friend. He was a first overall pick. He hasn't met expectations, and that causes frustration.

Frustration if fine. But the prognostications of bust in this and other threads is premature.

In a different situation and different use I don't think Yak has the same problem.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Frustration if fine. But the prognostications of bust in this and other threads is premature.

In a different situation and different use I don't think Yak has the same problem.

Eberle scored as many goals in a period with McDavid as Yak did in a few games.

Yak is a good kid but he hasn't even hit 20 goals in a season yet.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle scored as many goals in a period with McDavid as Yak did in a few games.

Yak is a good kid but he hasn't even hit 20 goals in a season yet.

heh,

I guess its Yaks fault his rookie year was a lockout shortened 48games in which he scored 17 goals..

jebus he's only had 3 seasons and the other two were Eakins..

yeah, excuses, excuses..;)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
heh,

I guess its Yaks fault his rookie year was a lockout shortened 48games in which he scored 17 goals..

jebus he's only had 3 seasons and the other two were Eakins..

yeah, excuses, excuses..;)

Isn't that slightly worrying though? That his best season was his rookie season?

Also Eakins was trash yet Hall had his best year under him. Time for Nail to look in the mirror because I'm not seeing an NHL player there.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Isn't that slightly worrying though? That his best season was his rookie season?

Also Eakins was trash yet Hall had his best year under him. Time for Nail to look in the mirror because I'm not seeing an NHL player there.

Not when his only other seasons were with Eakins as head coach. Can't downplay how much he hurt the development of a number of players.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I think Eakins ruined the development of both Yak and Schultz. It's unfortunate.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its worrying that a player that is often on 3rd lines hasn't scored 20 goals yet in his career when only 3 players (playing on toplines) have scored 20 goals for the team in that span?

Actually that's the world turning as it normally does. Production on first line, first pp unit is higher.

Yak has been often buried in the lineup on a poor team that has perennially had a weak bottomsix.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Not when his only other seasons were with Eakins as head coach. Can't downplay how much he hurt the development of a number of players.

Him and Schultz, that's about it. Eberle will likely hit 20 goals again this season, Hall is still in the top 10 of league scoring....

Also 17 goals is a bit skewed when 3 came in the final game of the season between two teams who didn't really want to be there.
Kassian already has half of Nail's goal total in 22 less games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Him and Schultz, that's about it. Eberle will likely hit 20 goals again this season, Hall is still in the top 10 of league scoring....

Also 17 goals is a bit skewed when 3 came in the final game of the season between two teams who didn't really want to be there.
Kassian already has half of Nail's goal total in 22 less games.

Nuge was having a poor season for a topsix player but I guess another injury absolves him?

had 8 goals all year while leading the team in toi and PP toi and with one of those goals actually scored by Pakarinen. What about that?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Its worrying that a player that is often on 3rd lines hasn't scored 20 goals yet in his career when only 3 players (playing on toplines) have scored 20 goals for the team in that span?

Actually that's the world turning as it normally does. Production on first line, first pp unit is higher.

Yak has been often buried in the lineup on a poor team that has perennially had a weak bottomsix.

You can still go to the front of the net and bang in a rebound even if your center is Mark Letestu and not Connor McDavid. Also keeping in mind that McDavid made Yakupov look a lot better than he really was (a testament to the power of the holy one).

This is a league where even a Ryan Jones can score 15+ a season. Scoring in the NHL isn't as hard as people think. You go to the net and you'll get rewarded.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nuge was having a poor season for a topsix player but I guess another injury absolves him?

had 8 goals all year while leading the team in toi and PP toi and with one of those goals actually scored by Pakarinen. What about that?

Nuge is being molded into Patrice Bergeron by McLellan. Drai/McDavid score the goals while Nuge does the defending. It's pretty simple really.

Also we can't ignore those ugly minuses that have beset Nail.

Nail is a good kid, has a great attitude and all that... But how do you have less goals than Sekera, who prior to this year had exactly one season of more than 5?

He's supposed to be a goal scorer and yet he can't score.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
It's really simple, my friend. He was a first overall pick. He hasn't met expectations, and that causes frustration.

Don't let the past like draft position cloud your judgement on discussing what's best for this team moving forward

More hypocrisy. You held it against Pouliot as not being a 20 goal scorer when he had 19 goals in 58 games.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't let the past like draft position cloud your judgement on discussing what's best for this team moving forward

More hypocrisy. You held it against Pouliot as not being a 20 goal scorer when he had 19 goals in 58 games.

This is the point you choose to pick in trying to go after me on "hypocrisy"

Well heres my response. Pouliot is a career vet 4th NHL pick that was highly regarded in the draft that has NEVER scored 20 goals even while repeatedly being gifted topsix minutes by teams eager to try to kickstart his talent.

Pouliot, unlike Yak, is past his prime and has had 10 seasons to try to find his topsix game.

The irony being people on the board saying Yak is a bust, several of those posts going on and a dedicated thread. But you choose to call out one comment about Pouliot. :amazed:

ps I don't recall "holding it against Pouliot" scoring 19 last year either. That could be more of your interesting narrative going on.

I'm also not the one initiating such narrow 20 goal looks. Simply responding.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
See I dont have a problem with Yak, but this last little convo is what I have the problem with and why I always argue against Yak.

Supporters always try and make Yak into something hes not a top6 winger. Meanwhile they try and make Yak look comparable to Hall or RHN, or Eberle.

Yak is a 15 goal and 35 point guy proven over the last how many seasons.

People blame linemates for his low production, yet completely ignore that he has been on the PP for how many years now? Yes PP is 5 vs 4 yes thats a huge advantage to get points and shouldnt be ignored.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Another great game to watch. Solid team effort. Talbot flying under the radar as one of the best players on the ice these days. Big saves at the right times.

Maybe Soli should go away more often...;)

Extremely excited to be driving 5+ hours on Saturday from Toronto to Montreal to catch the game live. Going with my buddy who is a Habs fan. Let's keep this offensive wrecking machine going! I keep telling him that McDavid will score 4 tomorrow. I'll settle for 4 points of any kind.

Reality check: We've played 2 bad teams. Good thing is there are more bad teams coming up and this is doing wonders for the confidence of this team, and HFOil!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Another great game to watch. Solid team effort. Talbot flying under the radar as one of the best players on the ice these days. Big saves at the right times.

Maybe Soli should go away more often...;)

Extremely excited to be driving 5+ hours on Saturday from Toronto to Montreal to catch the game live. Going with my buddy who is a Habs fan. Let's keep this offensive wrecking machine going! I keep telling him that McDavid will score 4 tomorrow. I'll settle for 4 points of any kind.

Reality check: We've played 2 bad teams. Good thing is there are more bad teams coming up and this is doing wonders for the confidence of this team, and HFOil!

I personally really don't care if they play bad teams. Winning builds confidence like you said. The team is happy winning rather than putting their heads down in disgrace like the sens did after Davidson scored.

Although, its pretty amusing people are still trying to downgrade McDavid after two games. "But he did it against Columbus and Ottawa!"

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nuge is being molded into Patrice Bergeron by McLellan. Drai/McDavid score the goals while Nuge does the defending. It's pretty simple really.

Also we can't ignore those ugly minuses that have beset Nail.

Nail is a good kid, has a great attitude and all that... But how do you have less goals than Sekera, who prior to this year had exactly one season of more than 5?

He's supposed to be a goal scorer and yet he can't score.

Uh. Yak missed a large chunk of the season... Maybe that has something to do with it?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I personally really don't care if they play bad teams. Winning builds confidence like you said. The team is happy winning rather than putting their heads down in disgrace like the sens did after Davidson scored.

Although, its pretty amusing people are still trying to downgrade McDavid after two games. "But he did it against Columbus and Ottawa!"

Who is downgrading McDavid. I kind of turned off the board last night as things got testy here in 2nd period. I haven't seen much of the comments.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Its really too bad we did have all of these injuries this year. Really makes me wonder whether this team would have been good enough to be a playoff team with a full healthy roster.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
You can still go to the front of the net and bang in a rebound even if your center is Mark Letestu and not Connor McDavid. Also keeping in mind that McDavid made Yakupov look a lot better than he really was (a testament to the power of the holy one).

This is a league where even a Ryan Jones can score 15+ a season. Scoring in the NHL isn't as hard as people think. You go to the net and you'll get rewarded.

Strange then that scoring continues to drop when the solution is so simple.

The problem here is two-fold: I suspect (but I haven't seen the data) that fewer shots are getting through to the net because of more shot blocking. And more of those that do get through get swallowed up by the goalies.

As for Yak, for him to be part of the plans they (him included) need to decide what kind of player he is and mold him accordingly. He's not going to be a sniper, nor is he going to be a Selke winner. But if they can turn him into a pesky forward who forechecks hard, bangs bodies and, like you said, drives to the net, then there's something salvageable there.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012

McDavid was unbelievable against CBJ and pretty much won the game before the first was over in Ottawa. It's great he got less minutes yesterday. He also draws most of the attention. Guys like Talbot and big plays from Gryba/Draisatl can go unnoticed, but they are playing very well too and should be mentioned. Especially Talbot.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
He did, you are right.

But 4 goals in 30 games isn't exactly a lot, especially after riding shotgun with our Lord and Saviour for some of those games.

12 games with McDavid in the lineup. Not sure if he was paired with through all of those, so maybe 10 games total.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Strange then that scoring continues to drop when the solution is so simple.

The problem here is two-fold: I suspect (but I haven't seen the data) that fewer shots are getting through to the net because of more shot blocking. And more of those that do get through get swallowed up by the goalies.

As for Yak, for him to be part of the plans they (him included) need to decide what kind of player he is and mold him accordingly. He's not going to be a sniper, nor is he going to be a Selke winner. But if they can turn him into a pesky forward who forechecks hard, bangs bodies and, like you said, drives to the net, then there's something salvageable there.

I agree with you but part of the problem is that he drafted him to be a sniper. If he chips in 25 goals playing like you said, that's great, but the whole reason we drafted him was to be a sniper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad