Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 2-1

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
7.3%
Their pp during their last 10 games is 7.9% this is with a 8-2 record its not getting better its getting worse http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...2015-12-27&gameType=2&sort=ppPctg&aggregate=1

Last 15 games they are 7.3%
http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...2015-12-27&gameType=2&sort=ppPctg&aggregate=1

It has been better as of late (especially at home).
In any event I saw a lot of space being opened up for players like Geaudreu (Frolik et al) as of late. That little rat ******* has been getting quite a few points on the PP.

Clearly I couldn't be more wrong about my 10/15 game sample...my bad. I should have said the last couple of weeks.

In any event we will be able to compare how the PP's look (visually) in a head to head match up tomorrow.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
That surprises me based on my viewings.

I saw a lot of space being opened up for players like Geaudreu (Frolik et al) as of late. That little rat ******* has been getting quite a few points on the PP.

Clearly I couldn't be more wrong about that...my bad.

So it looks like the Oilers PP is just fine then.
No Oiler pp is brutal but Calgary pk is even worse so if they can get it going Calgary would be a good team to do it against. And Oilers pk has been real good last 15 games near top of the league so I don't see Calgary's pp being much of a problem.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No Oiler pp is brutal but Calgary pk is even worse so if they can get it going Calgary would be a good team to do it against. And Oilers pk has been real good last 15 games near top of the league so I don't see Calgary's pp being much of a problem.

I edited my post.

I have been watching a fair bit of hockey lately and their PP did look a lot better. I just went back to far in my projections. The stats seem to bear that out for the past couple of weeks.

In any event the purpose in bringing it up is to compare the difference between 2 teams in direct competition with each other. 2 teams we can watch tomorrow night.

I don't like our chances (compared to the Flames) in terms improving the PP moving forward. With the personnel as it exists right now. I would gladly trade our defence for the Flames defence.

Not just in terms of the PP either.

I envy the puck moving ability on that teams defence.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Going through all 12 pages...I'm not surprised it's the usuals that still blame the D for Eberle/RNH/Pouliot's horrid performances.

That line is getting hemmed in by a bunch of scrubs. They generate nothing. 17M to just do flybys and get pushed around. That's not the defense's fault, that's all on them.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Going through all 12 pages...I'm not surprised it's the usuals that still blame the D for Eberle/RNH/Pouliot's horrid performances.

That line is getting hemmed in by a bunch of scrubs. They generate nothing. 17M to just do flybys and get pushed around. That's not the defense's fault, that's all on them.

When is the last time you seen these guys make a nice solo rush even. Never seems to happen. Absolutely no offensive creativity anymore. Maybe they are scared to outdo McDavid.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
When is the last time you seen these guys make a nice solo rush even. Never seems to happen. Absolutely no offensive creativity anymore. Maybe they are scared to outdo McDavid.

If only :laugh:

Doesn't seem to bother Hall or Draisaitl.

All I will say is I hope one of them are gone for a real Defenseman. None of them seem to want to play hard and are soft as ****. People can bash Spector all they want but he isn't exactly wrong about them not playing hard.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Read page 12. Not surprised to see the usual folks so intent on their stoning that they are willing to gloss over the fact that Darnell Nurse was forced to play 25 minutes again last night in his "development season". And that we barely have three NHL defencemen on the roster at any given time. The priority is to get rid of the guy who scores the most goals.

Interestingly, and contrary to reports from folks who didn't watch the game and think RNH and Eberle got "owned by scrubs", I never saw that line hemmed in their own zone much last night. Unlike other lines. Sedins owned Hall and Draisaitl all night long. Several completely embarrassing shifts. Hendricks line also had more than one or two awful own zone shifts, but its all about how weak Eberle and RNH are. Rest of the team humming along nicely thank you very much. :nod:

Oct 15, 2008
If only :laugh:

Doesn't seem to bother Hall or Draisaitl.

All I will say is I hope one of them are gone for a real Defenseman. None of them seem to want to play hard and are soft as ****. People can bash Spector all they want but he isn't exactly wrong about them not playing hard.

Nobody is giving up a real dman for that waiver fodder.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How bad has Pouliot been this season? Answer: Very. And we still have him for 3.5 more seasons. Another great signing by Craigory McTavish.

As a complementary player, he lives and dies with his linemates.

He looked good when RNH/Eberle were going last season and he looked good with McDavid/Yak.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Sorry Harpoon, don't think I can agree. 2nd line struggled to create anything and frequently could not get out of their zone. The d certainly played a part but so did they.

Gotta get a win tonight. This team is capitol playing much better. I can't handle two heart breakers to the bloody Nucks and then the Flames in a row...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Read page 12. Not surprised to see the usual folks so intent on their stoning that they are willing to gloss over the fact that Darnell Nurse was forced to play 25 minutes again last night in his "development season". And that we barely have three NHL defencemen on the roster at any given time. The priority is to get rid of the guy who scores the most goals.

Interestingly, and contrary to reports from folks who didn't watch the game and think RNH and Eberle got "owned by scrubs", I never saw that line hemmed in their own zone much last night. Unlike other lines. Sedins owned Hall and Draisaitl all night long. Several completely embarrassing shifts. Hendricks line also had more than one or two awful own zone shifts, but its all about how weak Eberle and RNH are. Rest of the team humming along nicely thank you very much. :nod:

The color guy basically mentioned that line needing to have a better shift every time they stepped on the ice because they were hemmed in their own zone in the shift prior.

If you want numbers...
-RNH played ~38% of his minutes against Bartschi-Horvat-Vrbata. He had a 20% Corsi vs. them.
-The next most played line was Prust-Vey-Cracknell for ~32% of his icetime. He had a 16% Corsi vs. them.
-As for defense, RNH played against Yannick Weber for 70% of his icetime and ended with a 16% Corsi vs. him.

That's pretty much the epitome of getting "owned by scrubs".

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^good Lord, visually it was bad enough but those numbers are frankly atrocious.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The color guy basically mentioned that line needing to have a better shift every time they stepped on the ice because they were hemmed in their own zone in the shift prior.

If you want numbers...
-RNH played ~38% of his minutes against Bartschi-Horvat-Vrbata. He had a 20% Corsi vs. them.
-The next most played line was Prust-Vey-Cracknell for ~32% of his icetime. He had a 16% Corsi vs. them.
-As for defense, RNH played against Yannick Weber for 70% of his icetime and ended with a 16% Corsi vs. him.

That's pretty much the epitome of getting "owned by scrubs".

Don't worry, it's everyone else's fault. And those guys scored at close to point per game clip when Nelson coached.

It's tough watching that second line play. Possession isn't something they understand.

What's funny is that those that call out Nuge and Ebs aren't saying Hall's line was perfect; it's just that more often than not, they are driving the play back to the other end or at least creating offensive chances. Give the 2nd line an offensive zone face off, win or lose, it goes back into our zone.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree with most here...the 2nd line is garbage...Pouliot-RNH-Eberle are getting a lot of money and they're doing squat at the moment
the Letestu line was more effective last night than the 2nd line and that embarrassing

btw...Nikitin-Gryba pairing is a trainwreck..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Odd post. Hall and Drai were not "owned by the sedins" they kept the Sedins off the board and similarly had no pts. So a saw off which in the NHL is almost an automatic win against the Nucks if you keep the vaunted Sedin line off the board. With the other lines against the Nucks lesser lights (and Nucks forward depth plummets quickly from the Sedins) usually owning those lines. Nucks go only as far as the sedins take them.

As others have mentioned Eberle and Hopkins were made to look bad, and struggled to have puck possession against essentially an AHL line.

Basically any Oiler fan and the broadcast team was saying its necessary for that 2nd Oiler line to be doing better in such matchups. Really they should be owning such a matchup. We got 17M in contract veterans playing against scrubs and not even showing any signs of dominance.

People are expecting more of Eberle, RNH, Pouliot line and they should. These are pedestrian efforts and yet another game where this line didn't even check in.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Odd post. Hall and Drai were not "owned by the sedins" they kept the Sedins off the board and similarly had no pts. So a saw off which in the NHL is almost an automatic win against the Nucks if you keep the vaunted Sedin line off the board. With the other lines against the Nucks lesser lights (and Nucks forward depth plummets quickly from the Sedins) usually owning those lines. Nucks go only as far as the sedins take them.

As others have mentioned Eberle and Hopkins were made to look bad, and struggled to have puck possession against essentially an AHL line.

Basically any Oiler fan and the broadcast team was saying its necessary for that 2nd Oiler line to be doing better in such matchups. Really they should be owning such a matchup. We got 17M in contract veterans playing against scrubs and not even showing any signs of dominance.

People are expecting more of Eberle, RNH, Pouliot line and they should. These are pedestrian efforts and yet another game where this line didn't even check in.

that's the key right there...hold the Sedins in check and hope the other lines out-score the Nucks poor depth

Letestu line did that
the 2nd line was getting owned...that's totally unacceptable

McDeathbyCheerios*

that's the key right there...hold the Sedins in check and hope the other lines out-score the Nucks poor depth

Letestu line did that
the 2nd line was getting owned...that's totally unacceptable
I remember an extended shift where the Cracknell line had the RNH line hemmed in.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Eberle in particular was absolute garbage last night in a game they really could have used his sniping ability to turn a tight game in their favour. But you need to actually get involved and fight for open spaces and go get the puck for that kind of stuff to happen. Looks like he checked out before the opening whistle. Very disappointing. Maybe his mind was still on the cool video games he got for Christmas.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Yep. It's amazing how some want to turn a blind eye to it and blame others just to protect them. Like a bunch of us said, they are paid a lot to produce and they can't even get a hold of the puck.

The opposition pretty much has a read on the entire line. Pouliot over relies on his linemates and all you have to do to stop Eberle and RNH is just apply pressure. Once the latter occurs, Pouliot is handicapped.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Yep. It's amazing how some want to turn a blind eye to it and blame others just to protect them. Like a bunch of us said, they are paid a lot to produce and they can't even get a hold of the puck.

The opposition pretty much has a read on the entire line. Pouliot over relies on his linemates and all you have to do to stop Eberle and RNH is just apply pressure. Once the latter occurs, Pouliot is handicapped.

I admit I have been an Eberle disciple from day one, and to some extent supported RNH...they are done. They provide nothing at this time to make this team better going forward. They are not a solution - they are a means to an end via trade.

Jun 22, 2009
Why wasn't RNH playing against all the tough comp last night? Isn't that why we always give him a pass, because he plays against the top lines? Yeah I haven't seen that in a while. The Oil should rid themselves of that contract while they still can.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Some people crumble when a generational talent comes in and steals the show (Ebs/RNH). Others embrace it and use it to elevate their game (Hall/Drai).

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
It has been better as of late (especially at home).
In any event I saw a lot of space being opened up for players like Geaudreu (Frolik et al) as of late. That little rat ******* has been getting quite a few points on the PP.

Clearly I couldn't be more wrong about my 10/15 game sample...my bad. I should have said the last couple of weeks.

In any event we will be able to compare how the PP's look (visually) in a head to head match up tomorrow.

Gaudreau has 10 PTS IN OT THIS YEAR! Hall has 2 for comparisons sake. Johnny has already beat Naslunds record from way back in the day. It is skewing his record for this year and I for one hope it continues until he gets his massively overpriced contract. I have heard on the radio here in Calgary that his next contract might start with an 8 lol!!!!!!! If that happens I will laugh my ass off, take away Gaudreaus OT points and he has 6 Pts more than nuge (that's nuges point minus his 1 OT point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad