Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 2-1

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Speaking on Nelson on here, his AHL team is on a 15 game winning streak, hehe.

Started 2-8-1, now 17-8-1.

Just thought that was kinda interesting. 4 game win streak for the man with the perfect hair too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Renney PP was teetering near the top of the league nearly the entire season and yes, when the games counted in your mind (Not sure why the Nelson games are being completely dismissed). The PP was also excellent under Krueger, a shortened season full of meaningful games. Who were the Dmen on those teams that needed to be greatly respected?

They have Dmen with big shots in Klefbom and Davidson yet they went right back to the well with Schultz when he returned and took those two off the PP completely. How do you explain that?
How do you explain Nuge and Drai on the same unit which obviously doesn't work?
How do you explain leaving Letestu as the main playmaker on the 2nd unit?
Eberle on the point tonight? etc. etc.

Again, the players are a part of the problem but Woodcroft is sure getting the least out of the players that he has. Even with McJesus, the units were somewhat struggling. Even without a true PP QB, there is no excuse for a team with all these skilled top picks to be so poor on the PP.

It should be clear why the Nelsons games are less relevant. The team was out of the playoffs the day he arrived and the 'new coach' effect lasts for a few weeks after as well.

The Kruger 48 game season has been discussed already.

Regarding this team....
Letestu is on the 2nd unit because this team struggles with faceoffs on the PP and he provides a net presence. Not ideal by any means but I understand it.

Klefbom and Davidson are not the answer. The next time they play the point just watch their lack of creativity in getting their shots away and distributing the puck.

The team the boys are playing tomorrow night is a team that has options on the PP. It took some time for them to work out the pairings but they seem to have the kinks worked out now.

Watch the difference in puck distribution from the back end from players like Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton and Wideman....compared to players like Klefbom, Davidson and Schultz.
Watch the shot selection.

There is a major difference. The Oilers will be forced to respect the points which will open up space for skill players like Gaudreau.

Defending teams simply dont have to concern themselves with the Oilers point men.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It should be clear why the Nelsons games are less relevant. The team was out of the playoffs the day he arrived and the 'new coach' effect lasts for a few weeks after as well.

Regarding this team....
Letestu is on the 2nd unit because this team struggles with faceoffs on the PP and he provides a net presence. Not ideal by any means but I understand it.

Klefbom and Davidson are not the answer. The next time they play the point just watch their lack of creativity in getting their shots away and distributing the puck.

The team the boys are playing tomorrow night is a team that has options on the PP. It took some time for them to work out the pairings but they seem to have the kinks worked out now.

Watch the difference in puck distribution from the back end from players like Giordano, Brodie, Hamilton and Wideman....compared to players like Klefbom, Davidson and Schultz.

There is a major difference. The Oilers will be forced to respect the points which will open up space for skill players like Gaudreau.

Defending teams simply dont have to concern themselves with the Oilers point men.

So, why were our point men so much better just because our season was over? I'm not following. We have some mystery point men on this team that become awesome when the season is done and the other team suddenly respects them and it makes our PP great? Don't get why the success Nelson had on the PP should just be dismissed.

Should we hire a hypnotist that convinces our D that the season is done to make other teams respect them?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
The Stars are the team I wished the Oilers would become after drafting all these 1st overalls. Turns out we're a ****ing joke and still can't score!

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Didn't watch the game but it sounds like the 2nd line no showed again? I want to give Rnh leeway for his horrible play buts its his fifth year in the league and he isn't progressing offensively, at all. This screams Gagner 2.0 (Yes, he's better than Gagner) but the player is stuck and all the early signs of high offensive potential is slipping away (due to injury or just plain suckage) and the fans are left wanting more. Eberle and him both seem to only put up points when the games are meaningless. They haven't been the sole contributors to wins nearly enough this year and it puts literally all the pressure on Halls line and if he was having a sub year this year we would definitely be in last place right now. I'm just sick of hanging onto players until the book is out on them for the entire NHL to see and we end up getting no valuable players/assets in a trade. Gagner? Gone for nothing after holding on to him for too long. Hemsky? same **** different player hand onto him until he is basically worthless.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So, why were our point men so much better just because our season was over? I'm not following. We have some mystery point men on this team that become awesome when the season is done and the other team suddenly respects them and it makes our PP great? Don't get why the success Nelson had on the PP should just be dismissed.

Should we hire a hypnotist that convinces our D that the season is done to make our PP good?

Because it's easy to play when there's nothing to play for. The Oilers are wilting under any sort of playoff talk.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Because it's easy to play when there's nothing to play for. The Oilers are wilting under any sort of playoff talk.

I don't really buy that personally for the situation of last year for the PP. The night and day change between 1.5 years of Eakins (which included lots of season is done already games where we still were not good on the PP) and Nelson was too extreme to ignore.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yes I'm going to go back and find the video evidence for you.

When Hall and Drai were playing well together at the start Drai was on the 2nd pp and RNH was on the 1st.

People were pissed cause it wasn't working so they tried to switch them which looked okay for a bit. Then RNH started struggling offensively and Yak went down. And they started this one up

Do you have proof that Woodcroft is the reason the pp sucks and the players aren't just ******** the bed?

So.. where's the evidence?
I didn't put all of the blame on Woodcroft FYI, but he holds the blame as well. His PP lines and systems have been absolutely terrible. I don't need to repeat my reasons why since you already read and responded to them. If the players were able to look good under Krueger, then what's Woodcroft's problem?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Should we hire a hypnotist that convinces our D that the season is done to make our PP good?

Yes...thats exactly what the team should do.

Ask yourself why the teams winning percentage was so much better when the games didnt mean anything. Does that mean the coaching was better?

It should be clear what factors are involved in basing expectations from games that have no meaning at all.
A true game test of your systems and the players ability and willingness to fight for space and win puck battles can only be properly measured when there is something on the line for both teams.

You still haven't explained how the PP can create space for skill players (Eberle, RNH, Hall et al) down low with the existing group of dmen.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't really buy that personally for the situation of last year for the PP. The night and day change between 1.5 years of Eakins (which included lots of season is done already games where we still were not good on the PP) and Nelson was too extreme to ignore.

The Oilers didn't feel any pressure to perform because the only thing they were playing for was not to finish last. We see this every year. They struggle out of the gate, are out of it by Christmas and proceed to play well because there's nothing to play for. So every summer we're convinced they've turned it around when really it was all an illusion.

Nelson is/was a better coach than Eakins but part of it was masked by the fact that the Oilers were playing out the string as opposed to actually fighting for a playoff spot (which they are now).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes...thats exactly what the team should do.

Ask yourself why the teams winning percentage was so much better when the games didnt mean anything. Does that mean the coaching was better?

It should be clear what factors are involved in basing expectations from games that have no meaning at all.
A true test of your systems and the players ability and willingness to fight for space can be measured is when there is something on the line.

You still haven't explained how the PP can create space for skill players (Eberle, RNH, Hall et al) down low with the existing group of dmen.

Do what they did with this similar group before with success. Move the puck well and let the PKers know that guys like Schultz and Sekera can still get a puck through at the net with traffic in front. Our PP is so inept though, a PKer is usually right on top of guys as soon as they get the puck because everything we do is so telegraphed and slow. And that's just the 30 or so seconds per PP, if we're lucky, that we actually get set up in the offensive zone after over a minute of pathetic attempts to gain the zone.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Regarding this team....

How did you explain the Krueger season away? I missed it.

It's fine having Letestu for faceoffs but why don't they have RNH or Drai as the main playmaker on that unit? It's Sekera, a struggling Eberle and three 4th liners, how can that unit possibly succeed? You still haven't explained why Woodcroft hasn't split up the RNH/Drai combo which obviously doesn't work.

How do you know that Klefbom and/or Davidson aren't the answer? They haven't been given enough opportunity to prove their worth and do you honestly think that Schultz moves the puck better than Klefbom? I beg to differ on that point.
You don't think that Klefbom's shot would be more effective and respected than Schultz's muffin? The PP looked a whole lot better with Klefbom QBing than Schultz.
I still haven't seen you post one reason why Woodcroft should be defended for these personnel decisions.

Why are the Flames always being brought up in your posts? Their PP is amongst the worst in the league. There are tons of other teams that you can use as benchmarks for PP success but you bring up the Flames? It doesn't make sense to me.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Every team has players that shouldn't be on their team. Every team has injuries. Look no further than the team we just played. I didn't even recognize half of Vancouver's defense core.

I don't expect Chiarelli to do anything prior to the TDL. This is an evaluation year and you're joking yourself if you think otherwise. He's not going to give up assets for some half-baked chance at a playoff spot that we won't achieve. If anything games like this just go to show how far away we are. A team ripe for the picking that stinks at home and we put up a single lousy goal. Our power play is a joke, and roughly 80% of our forwards are completely and utterly useless.

I think this team can do better, yet here we are.
Calgary has 1 player out with injury and barely ever have a lot of injury. There are a few teams that luck out with very few injuries.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

It's fine having Letestu for faceoffs but why don't they have RNH or Drai as the main playmaker on that unit? It's Sekera, a struggling Eberle and three 4th liners, how can that unit possibly succeed? You still haven't explained why Woodcroft hasn't split up the RNH/Drai combo which obviously doesn't work.

How do you know that Klefbom and/or Davidson aren't the answer? They haven't been given enough opportunity to prove their worth and do you honestly think that Schultz moves the puck better than Klefbom? I beg to differ on that point.
You don't think that Klefbom's shot would be more effective and respected than Schultz's muffin? The PP looked a whole lot better with Klefbom QBing than Schultz.
I still haven't seen you post one reason why Woodcroft should be defended for these personnel decisions.

Why are the Flames always being brought up in your posts? Their PP is amongst the worst in the league. There are tons of other teams that you can use as benchmarks for PP success but you bring up the Flames? It doesn't make sense to me.

I brought up the team they are playing tomorrow night...you know...the next team we will be watching...seemed relevant enough...no? How is that confusing you?

Look...if you want to believe that Klefbom, Davidson and Schultz are the answer to the PP point issue on this team then you are entitled to believe that.

IMO that's asking McLellan and company to spin gold out of rat sh**.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I brought up the team they are playing tomorrow night...you know...the next team we will be watching...seemed relevant enough...no? How is that confusing you?

Look...if you want to believe that Klefbom, Davidson and Schultz are the answer to the point issue on this team then you are entitled to believe that.

Hey, we experienced the Corey Power Potter Play. Anything is possible.

McDeathbyCheerios*

So.. where's the evidence?
I didn't put all of the blame on Woodcroft FYI, but he holds the blame as well. His PP lines and systems have been absolutely terrible. I don't need to repeat my reasons why since you already read and responded to them. If the players were able to look good under Krueger, then what's Woodcroft's problem?
Using your same reasoning.

RNH and Eberle looked good under Nelson. What's McLellans problem?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Using your same reasoning.

RNH and Eberle looked good under Nelson. What's McLellans problem?

Going down that line of thinking can only lead to depression.

What would this team be if Hall/Drai chemistry never happened? What if we didn't get McDavid?

If neither of those happened, we're probably comfortably in 30th right now with a 10 point cushion.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Look...if you want to believe that Klefbom, Davidson and Schultz are the answer to the point issue on this team then you are entitled to believe that.

I'm confused about you bringing up the team they are playing tomorrow as some kind of benchmark for PP success with all this amazing puck distribution ability from their defensemen because they you know..... suck on the PP this season much worse than the Oilers do even with all those great puck distributors.

I don't know how to make it any more clear. We're talking about the options that Woodcroft currently has, not the need for better defensemen which should go without saying. Nothing can be done about that now but they can make the best of the personnel they currently have,
I'm saying that Klefbom would be a better PP addition than Schultz. The PP looked more fluid with him as the PP QB.
Even Davidson in a short stint looked more dangerous than Schultz. At least he brings the threat of a big shot, what threat does Schultz bring. This is a Woodcroft problem, not a Chiarelli problem.

And again, you're deflecting. Are you defending Woodcroft's decision to keep the ineffective RNH/Drai combo together? Are you defending Woodcroft's decision to go with three 4th liners on the 2nd unit and only one skilled forward who isn't a primary playmaker?
Again, the players are partly to blame but I don't know why you're giving Woodcroft a free pass.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Its the worst in the league by far 11% I am sure the Oilers are trembling about that and it has not improved at all its actually worse then 15 games ago :laugh:there pk is rock bottom as well their combined pk and pp is the worst in NHL history :laugh: but Guymez is bragging it up

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm confused about you bringing up the team they are playing tomorrow as some kind of benchmark for PP success with all this amazing puck distribution ability from their defensemen because they you know..... suck on the PP this season much worse than the Oilers do even with all those great puck distributors.

I believe you when you say you're confused...I just dont understand why.
My point was simply for the sake of comparison...I suggested to watch the difference in tomorrow nights game.

That team has really put things together the past 15 games especially in terms of their puck distribution on the PP. Its because they have some good puck moving/distributing players on the back end that have been sorted out in terms of chemistry.
Chemistry matters and Hartley appears to have sorted out his pairings.

Its a valid comp especially considering thats who we will be watching go head to head tomorrow.

I don't know how to make it any more clear. We're talking about the options that Woodcroft currently has, not the apparent need for better defensemen.
I'm saying that Klefbom would be a better PP addition than Schultz. The PP looked more fluid with him as the PP QB.
Even Davidson in a short stint looked more dangerous than Schultz. At least he brings the threat of a big shot, what threat does Schultz bring. This is a Woodcroft problem, not a Chiarelli problem.

And again, you're deflecting. Are you defending Woodcroft's decision to keep the ineffective RNH/Drai combo together? Are you defending Woodcroft's decision to go with three 4th liners on the 2nd unit and only one skilled forward who isn't a primary playmaker?

Yes...we are talking about the options the coaching staff currently has. I am suggesting that in terms of the PP the point options are garbage.

I am suggesting that the only way to open up the ice for the skill players down low is to have a PP with a point man that can managed the puck effectively. You have to force the PK to honor the point otherwise its much easier to defend the PP.

As a side note...its interesting to me that the Oilers are currently 23rd on the PP and are 1 full percentage point from being in 18th position.

It would be interesting to see the difference in 15 game chunks. I dont think the defence is good enough to expect this PP to be a long term success.
In any event (taking the season as a whole) considering the existing personnel their current position certainly doesnt seem worthy of cliff jumping.

Last edited:

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
How bad has Pouliot been this season? Answer: Very. And we still have him for 3.5 more seasons. Another great signing by Craigory McTavish.

Last edited by a moderator:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do what they did with this similar group before with success. Move the puck well and let the PKers know that guys like Schultz and Sekera can still get a puck through at the net with traffic in front. Our PP is so inept though, a PKer is usually right on top of guys as soon as they get the puck because everything we do is so telegraphed and slow. And that's just the 30 or so seconds per PP, if we're lucky, that we actually get set up in the offensive zone after over a minute of pathetic attempts to gain the zone.

Sounds like an execution problem to me.

The other problem is that guys like Schultz cant get the puck to the net.
Thats exactly my point.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I believe you when you say you're confused...I just dont understand why.
My point was simply for the sake of comparison...I suggested to watch the difference in tomorrow nights game.

That team has really put things together the past 15 games especially in terms of their puck distribution on the PP. Its because they have some good puck moving/distributing players on the back end that have been sorted out in terms of chemistry.
Chemistry matters and Hartley appears to have sorted out his pairings.

Its a valid comp especially considering thats who we will be watching go head to head tomorrow. Not sure why you are being so hypersensitive.

Yes...we are talking about the options the coaching staff currently has. I am suggesting that in terms of the PP the point options are garbage.

I am suggesting that the only way to open up the ice for the skill players down low is to have a PP with a point man that can managed the puck effectively. You have to force the PK to honor the point otherwise its much easier to defend the PP.

As a side note...its interesting to me that the Oilers are currently 23rd on the PP and are 1 full percentage point from being in 18th position.

Considering the existing personnel that certainly doesnt seem worthy of cliff jumping.
7.3%
Their pp during their last 10 games is 7.9% this is with a 8-2 record its not getting better its getting worse http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...2015-12-27&gameType=2&sort=ppPctg&aggregate=1

Last 15 games they are 7.3%
http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...2015-12-27&gameType=2&sort=ppPctg&aggregate=1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad