Post-Game Talk: Oilers lose 2-1

McDeathbyCheerios*

A note on Eberle. He is the type of player that looks bad when his center struggles but looks incredible when his center can carry his own. He is a complimentary player for sure and cant carry the play.

I think once McDavid comes back if you put Eberle with him, he will look fantastic again.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I don't think hall gave ebs and Nuge the memo that we aren't trying to run this coach out of town and it's time to grow up and win.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Garbage game by nuges whole line.

Every game I watch Lander I hate him a bit more. Couple lame fly bys. Just gives up in the offensive zone.

Talbot helped steal one point but then lost the other.

This kind of pathetic performance cant be blamed just on turkey legs

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Gaudreau has 10 PTS IN OT THIS YEAR! Hall has 2 for comparisons sake. Johnny has already beat Naslunds record from way back in the day. It is skewing his record for this year and I for one hope it continues until he gets his massively overpriced contract. I have heard on the radio here in Calgary that his next contract might start with an 8 lol!!!!!!! If that happens I will laugh my ass off, take away Gaudreaus OT points and he has 6 Pts more than nuge (that's nuges point minus his 1 OT point).

This post is ridiculous. Gaudreau is clutch and proving to be an elite scorer. He's been better than RNH since his first year in the league. You're basically laughing because he scores when his team needs it the most. Posts like this make Oilers fans look like homer idiots.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
People should not get so worked up about a loss. It's not food for your health. Team picked up a point and is still withing range for a playoff spot once McD comes back.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
This post is ridiculous. Gaudreau is clutch and proving to be an elite scorer. He's been better than RNH since his first year in the league. You're basically laughing because he scores when his team needs it the most. Posts like this make Oilers fans look like homer idiots.

Really? I thought it was an interesting point to bring up. 10pts in non traditional 3v3 hockey is huge. He is a hell of a player but this definitely puts a different spin on things. It's worth noting anyways.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Really? I thought it was an interesting point to bring up. 10pts in non traditional 3v3 hockey is huge. He is a hell of a player but this definitely puts a different spin on things. It's worth noting anyways.

He is a special player. Given time and space he will burn you.

3x3 is perfect for a player with his ability. The Oilers need to play the body on him tonight. Play him tight.
Get inside his equipment as McLellan would say.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm so ****ing sick and tired of watching the Oilers never be able to take advantage of a team when they should be able to. Canucks missing their stinking defense, and goaltender, and we play like ****. The team has no ****ing killer instinct. As usual, Hall, and Draisaitl have to carry the burden of offense. Night in, night out, they have to have superhuman efforts because our secondary scoring is MIA. Chiarelli, and McLellan have their work cut out for them.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Nuge, and Eberle need to be traded off of this team. Yes, Eberle will score a goal once and a while that make people want to keep him around, but they are weak cogs in this machine, Nuge especially.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A note on Eberle. He is the type of player that looks bad when his center struggles but looks incredible when his center can carry his own. He is a complimentary player for sure and cant carry the play.

I think once McDavid comes back if you put Eberle with him, he will look fantastic again.

Eberle was doing quite well a week or two ago, and Nuge was still struggling. His biggest issue remains consistency, and at this point in his career, that needs to have been sorted out long ago if he really wants to be considered a decent and winning hockey player in this league. I hear him complain a lot of being tired of always being on losing teams. How about grabbing one of the lead oars then and start pulling hard when the ship really needs you?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I'm reading a lot of posts blaming Talbot for this one. That isn't fair at all. He did an admirable job in this game, and if our PP, or the whole ****ing team outside of our first line could do a damn thing, that game wouldn't have even gone to overtime. I blame Woodcroft, and the no skill, no-hearts for this loss.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Sorry for all the posts, and so many in a row, but I had to vomit my thoughts down before I read the thread, and now I'm gonna respond to posts.

How can you run a PP when the team cant even gain the zone effectively?
Entering the zone by making good decisions with the puck is the main issue here...thats on the players inability to execute.

This is such a huge problem with this team. It's infuriating to see how incapable this team is of executing basic zone entries. And I can't imagine it's the coaching staff being unable to teach such a simple concept. This has to be a player problem.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sorry for all the posts, and so many in a row, but I had to vomit my thoughts down before I read the thread, and now I'm gonna respond to posts.

This is such a huge problem with this team. It's infuriating to see how incapable this team is of executing basic zone entries. And I can't imagine it's the coaching staff being unable to teach such a simple concept. This has to be a player problem.

It drives me nuts watching the lack of execution. So many players that struggle with managing the puck correctly.
Stupid decisions.

Thats not a coaching issue.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm reading a lot of posts blaming Talbot for this one. That isn't fair at all. He did an admirable job in this game, and if our PP, or the whole ****ing team outside of our first line could do a damn thing, that game wouldn't have even gone to overtime. I blame Woodcroft, and the no skill, no-hearts for this loss.

If I'm Talbot I'm wondering where the team in front of me went. Two pk breaks on the same bloody pp and he's required to save the teams bacon even when they have the man advantage in addition to taking a brutal hit to the head. With zero retaliation for that either.

Talbot has to be wondering if goalies play for themselves here. The Oilers had over 3 periods against a weak club to provide some run support. They didn't get it done.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
People should not get so worked up about a loss. It's not food for your health. Team picked up a point and is still withing range for a playoff spot once McD comes back.

Best post of the thread.

While it totally sucks, take the point and move on.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Best post of the thread.

While it totally sucks, take the point and move on.

I don't think giving divisional opponents points is a good tonic for getting into the playoffs. Especially when we have no tie-breakers or games in hand on any of the teams besides Vancouver.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not saying you are wrong, but think about what you wrote.
This team needs a twenty two year old kid with barely 100 NHL games under his belt, and a twenty four year old AHL tweener with 35 NHL games.
And that's on top of having Darnell Nurse playing heavy minutes in a season he was supposed to be under the "careful development" program of the Oilers braintrust.
Its just an utter disgrace.
People can rag on RNH, and Eberle, and Pouliot, and whoever else is in the doghouse at the moment. And its just nothing but noise until this team repairs the blueline.
Everyone knows a team gets built from the back end out. Winning starts with defense.
Complete joke that we have all of Ference, Fayne, Nikitin, Gryba on the roster.

Back to your original comment ... how bad would this team be if Klefbom doesn't deliver on his pedigree? If Nurse doesn't step up big? If Davidson doesn't have a season nobody expected?

All of those guys should have been getting lower minutes against lesser players. That should have been the plan. Not to use them an your top two pairing night after night.

And Chiarelli still sits on his hands. Could someone explain to me what is changing here? Was tonight not one of the most abysmal NHL lineup cards ever submitted by the Oilers on defense? This guy better start making some moves soon. Sick of junk defense that can't even clear their own ****ing zone.
:handclap:

This is the "No **** Sherlock" post of the day. This team needs help on the back end in the worst possible way. I don't expect a big name player before the end of the season but can it really be that hard finding some fill ins that are better than Ference, Fayne, Nikitin or even Gryba and Schultz? Management needs to get on it as soon as the trade freeze is over.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The color guy basically mentioned that line needing to have a better shift every time they stepped on the ice because they were hemmed in their own zone in the shift prior.

If you want numbers...
-RNH played ~38% of his minutes against Bartschi-Horvat-Vrbata. He had a 20% Corsi vs. them.
-The next most played line was Prust-Vey-Cracknell for ~32% of his icetime. He had a 16% Corsi vs. them.
-As for defense, RNH played against Yannick Weber for 70% of his icetime and ended with a 16% Corsi vs. him.

That's pretty much the epitome of getting "owned by scrubs".
Baertschi/Horvat and Vrbata are scrubs? News to me.

And yeah, the Sedins owned Hall and Draisaitl hard. I don't care how many people say otherwise, I saw it. Long stretches with Daniel just toying with the puck and everyone chasing. And no they weren't "held off the score sheet" since they both assisted on Hansen's first goal.

I'm not blaming Hall and Drai. They did their best. It just wasn't near good enough. The only line that kind of played OK was the Letestu line.

Its nice that you work so hard after every game to find stats to discredit RNH though, especially considering you were one of his main fanboys like two seasons ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad