Post-Game Talk: Oilers Lose 2-1

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Lander needs more time in the top six. He looked good in the top 6. Pleasently surprised

Klefbom looked good, continuing his solid play.

Marincin made a bad decision that resulted in a goal, but looked great otherwise.

Hall-perron once again great

RNH-eberle- yak once again bad

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Gawd, the Wings are awful right now. 23 shots against the Oilers and they looked like the inferior team for most of the night. Scary to think they were the rested team and the Oilers played last night. I can't see this team making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. How lucky were they to be able to move out of the West this year? I think they'd be a bottom five team if they were still in the west.

Think Detroit is missing some key players so now isn't exactly best time to judge them :sarcasm:

03/13/14 Darren Helm C Concussion
03/12/14 Tomas Jurco RW Ribs
03/10/14 Joakim Andersson C Foot
03/08/14 Jonas Gustavsson G Groin
03/05/14 Pavel Datsyuk C Knee
03/03/14 Daniel Cleary RW Knee
02/25/14 Mikael Samuelsson RW Shoulder
02/21/14 Henrik Zetterberg LW Back
12/21/13 Stephen Weiss C Hernia

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Think Detroit is missing some key players so now isn't exactly best time to judge them :sarcasm:

EDM was missing:
#1 C
#1 Dman
#2 Dman
NHL Head Coach
a legit President of Hockey operations
Motivation to win

We got one point too many tonight #breakingblad #tanknation

NyquistIsMyGod*

Gawd, the Wings are awful right now. 23 shots against the Oilers and they looked like the inferior team for most of the night. Scary to think they were the rested team and the Oilers played last night. I can't see this team making the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. How lucky were they to be able to move out of the West this year? I think they'd be a bottom five team if they were still in the west.

Can't say I disagree. I think Tampa Bay falls out so that's the best hope. Team has looked miserable.

Of the 12 forwards tonight, just 6 played in the home opener. Team is not a playoff team, medicore, and we're lucky to be in the Eastern Conference.

I read this this morning .. Just completely shocked. I can't see the value being that low. I watched this kid in juniors for two seasons, and he looked like the real deal. That's juniors, an offensive league (OHL) but still. I honestly had him pegged around 65 points for his second season or so. What gives? Value that low?

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I like Lander in the 2C spot with Hall and Perron, or Yak. It allows whatever winger to do their thing and not have to worry quite as much about the defensive side of the game. Lander is good on draws and back checks effectively. I could see him becoming Bozak like and being very effective in the top 6.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Everybody goes through injuries but isn't their development system supposedly producing players better than anybody? Truth is they're an old team now that has started their down slide. Lucky for them they aren't in the Western Conference anymore and it doesn't look as bad as it would if they still were.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I saw Eberle backcheck like 4 times.

This is probably the first game in a while where Eakins actually can come out and say the effort was adequate without making me angry. Even if Detroit is basically crippled right now.

Also Bertuzzi's chin strap never stops being annoying.

I've been hard on Eberle lately, but the effort on the backcheck didn't go unnoticed by me either, lets hope it's something he is going to do more often and not just a one night aberration.

I'm not sure if Klefbom is ready yet, but the fact that he can make good, quick short passes, makes it so much easier to get out of the zone. I can see him developing into a very good defenseman for us in the long-term.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Can we send down Yak to AHL yet? Kid DOES NOT look like an NHLer. I don't even remember the last time he hit a onetimer. And by that I don't mean hitting the goal, I mean hitting the puck.

I don't see any reason for him to be up with the big club right now (I bet his agent does though). He has so much to learn and should work on refining his game down in OKC. Hell, it looks like Smyth has better offensive instincts than Yak and I'm not saying that because of his goal. Kid needs to build up some confidence in situations where he is put to succeed.

Other than that, was a decent game. Not much to complain about. Liked Ebs defensive game. Klef was good. Lander looked alright and should get some more time in the top6. Fasth was solid. You could tell it was a weak and injuryplagued Red Wings though. Don't think we'd be anywhere near a victory if they had a few of their key guys in the lineup, so can't really draw too much of a conclusion from this game. We got some easier games coming up though so hopefully we can keep some sort of momentum going and build on the effort from this game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Can't say I disagree. I think Tampa Bay falls out so that's the best hope. Team has looked miserable.

Of the 12 forwards tonight, just 6 played in the home opener. Team is not a playoff team, medicore, and we're lucky to be in the Eastern Conference.

I read this this morning .. Just completely shocked. I can't see the value being that low. I watched this kid in juniors for two seasons, and he looked like the real deal. That's juniors, an offensive league (OHL) but still. I honestly had him pegged around 65 points for his second season or so. What gives? Value that low?
I only commented the way I did because the Oilers have pretty much been dominated by every team they've played for months. It's rare when we don't give up 40 or more shots in a game and spend most of it in our own zone. It's just as rare for us to be in a game with out our goalie being the best player on the ice. Fasth didn't need to be the best player and what was even more surprising to me was that this was the second game of a back to back and the Oilers had just as much jump as the Wings. In other words the Wings performance tonight was one of the worst performances we've seen against us this year. We still lost but that's more of a reflection on us and less of one on Detroit.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Did anyone notice how the puck almost never got stuck in our zone when Klefbom and Larsen was on the ice? Klef really does a good job of getting into position, gain the puck either with good boardwork or an active stick and quickly move it out. This is what he did so well in the SHL as well. I am surprised how strong he is, he's manhandling players out there, doesn't really go for the big hits but just moves them out of the way, I knew he was a specimen but didn't think he'd be ready to handle NHLers like that.

Not as impressed by Landers play as the rest of the board, he had a couple of solid defensive plays, that's still his calling card but I didn't think he played to well with the puck and also think he was a step behind at times both offensively and defensively, the GA for example even though he didn't get to much from his D-men.
To me it felt he tried a bit to hard, which I guess is nice for a change, but it seemed he gripped his stick a bit to hard, overcommited some times and forced some plays. Did get better in the third so hopefully he improves after a few games if he gets the chance to stay up and settle down. He's a guy who's very passionate about his hockey and wants to make a difference on the ice, sometimes such players needs some time to calm down before they can find their groove.

Fasth was solid. It's insane how much better tending we're getting now.

The RNH line still struggles as soon as they don't have the puck in the O-zone. At least Ebs looked somewhat alive. Yak and RNH skates around and look like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Hall looked good, but what the hell did he do when he went offside in the OT? That's bantam kind of bad.

Marincin had an up and down game, classic Oiler mistake on the GA, but he still looks like he'll solidify our D going forward. Him and Klefbom really gives me hope for the future. If the rest of our D prospects can develop in a similar fashion the D core could go from weakness to strength going forward, kinda like the Rangers did a few years ago when they brought in a lot of young D in a short span of time to get a solid defensive group.

All in all it wasn't a very good game, we look stronger at the back end but we're not getting a lot going offensively and we keep making stupid defensive plays but at least there's some battle and positive sign with our young defensemen and new goalie tandem.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
i didnt even know there was a game on yesterday until 5am today...

/oops

(video games are better right now... by a million miles)

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Can we send down Yak to AHL yet? Kid DOES NOT look like an NHLer. I don't even remember the last time he hit a onetimer. And by that I don't mean hitting the goal, I mean hitting the puck.

you know to setup a one timer you either get a pass from your teammates who are looking to setup your one timer - or you pass it off the boards to yourself like a lunatic and do a one timer. or the other team buddy passes it for a gravy turnover that you magically one time...

"send him to the AHL because i havent seen a one timer from him in a while"

:shakehead

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
you know to setup a one timer you either get a pass from your teammates who are looking to setup your one timer - or you pass it off the boards to yourself like a lunatic and do a one timer. or the other team buddy passes it for a gravy turnover that you magically one time...

"send him to the AHL because i havent seen a one timer from him in a while"

:shakehead

Yes, that's clearly what I was saying... :help:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So the latest positivity panda synopsis of the game from the club has it that its a positive development that the Nuge line was even, and not scored against in a game against the bad half of the Detroit Red Wings who could barely generate 20 shots at home with multiple PP's..:amazed:

But of course in oilerspeak this being attributed to solid focus on commitment to D play.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Oilers did a fine job of being competitive against 75% of the Wings AHL team.

Baby steps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad