Post-Game Talk: Oilers @ Jets • Wed Sep 24 • 7PM • MTS Centre • "Attack of the Prospects"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derfel*

get everybody off the ice quick, cancel the preseason games and w can go into the season 3 steps behind everyone , but everyone is healthy

Pre-season is not nearly as vital and/or important as you are making it out to be in that post. Certainly the risk of injury to top players out-weighs the possible gains made by playing a half-assed game.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Projected over 82 games you can add Buff and Scheifele to that list. I think that there is a very good chance that the Jets could have 8 forwards with 40+ points, projected over 82 games.

then you need to set the benchmark with an 82 game "pt pace" benchmark, not just "40 points".

you can't use exceptional criteria when looking to benchmark. it's completely worthless.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well if thats all he offers, what the heck were they doing picking him 4th overall. I suggest we trade him fast while he still has good value -- before the rest of the NHL knows how easy he is to defend

Taylor Hall has been criticized in the past for a similar flaw.......superior talent but not the smartest player....in fairness it is a debate everyone doesn't agree on but he has his detractors when it comes to his hockey IQ. That being said his unique gifts far outweigh his liabilities which is why he is a PPG player. Elite skill can and does exist in forwards that don't have great hockey IQ.

I think Kane is a great hockey player but watching him with the puck on his stick especially off the half wall on a power play "TO THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER" has been painful 90% of the time. Maybe Mo can figure out how to utilize his talents better on the PP?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pre-season is not nearly as vital and/or important as you are making it out to be in that post. Certainly the risk of injury to top players out-weighs the possible gains made by playing a half-assed game.

Still beating the drum Derfel?

Serious question.... Why do you think a smart coach like Mo takes the risk?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Probably written somewhere in all of these thread pages...but is this actually on TSN3? My shaw cable box says CFL is on

TSN website schedule and zap2it TV listings say the Jets game is on TSN3 and the Bomber game is on TSN1, 4 and 5, with the Bomber game repeating on TSN3 on Monday or something.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Taylor Hall has been criticized in the past for a similar flaw.......superior talent but not the smartest player....in fairness it is a debate everyone doesn't agree on but he has his detractors when it comes to his hockey IQ. That being said his unique gifts far outweigh his liabilities which is why he is a PPG player. Elite skill can and does exist in forwards that don't have great hockey IQ.

I think Kane is a great hockey player but watching him with the puck on his stick especially off the half wall on a power play "TO THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER" has been painful 90% of the time. Maybe Mo can figure out how to utilize his talents better on the PP?

I can.

Plant his ass in front of the net.

Done!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
As I've said before, I think everyone is judging his play based on a period when (right or wrong) he just had 0 faith in his linemates to do anything useful. The assessment may or may not be accurate. Lets see what he does with skilled linemates. If he is the same then it is on him.

What was he like in jr? Anybody know? He was certainly successful at that level.

Didn't Kane got the 1st assist on Halischuck goal last game?
I wondered why he didnt shoot it as he is always portrait to be. He was by the board above the circle. That is where he usually shoot right? out of nowhere.

It was a good stop and pass in the middle assist, not great assist but good assist. For me that was using his IQ , goo heads up play by him.

Kane does a lot of things very well, and I think his vision and passing is a bit underrated. He does lack hockey sense in terms of timing and spacing, but I think Scheifele and Wheeler are smart enough to read off Kane, and vice-versa.

I tend to agree we really haven't seen what Kane is capable of yet. It looked to me in the first game with Scheif and Wheeler he was looking to make a play. And in the past we saw glimpses of play making ability. IMO given time with quality line mates we will see this part of Kanes game evolve. I'm thinking many people are selling him short in this area.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
One year in the WHL Kane had 48 assists so he does have good passing ability. I just think to date his perceived lack of passing ability and/or IQ is some what of a reflection of his poor line mates. But I do think he could improve his hockey IQ, he'll never score 50 without it and being a big time PP guy.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
One year in the WHL Kane had 48 assists so he does have good passing ability. I just think to date his perceived lack of passing ability and/or IQ is some what of a reflection of his poor line mates. But I do think he could improve his hockey IQ, he'll never score 50 without it and being a big time PP guy.

Watch the highlights it has nothing to do with slick passes his assists were mostly based off shot volume and rebounds. Kane can create shots for himself like very few players but he has not and has never been a good playmaker/passer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Watch the highlights it has nothing to do with slick passes his assists were mostly based off shot volume and rebounds. Kane can create shots for himself like very few players but he has not and has never been a good playmaker/passer.

Oh I agree many we're from his rebounds, but watch him today he's a pretty good passer, his play making ability and hockey IQ could improve and will with better line mates. But yes he is a shooter first time of player, nothing wrong with that as long as you have him with play makers like Mark and Wheeler.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everything I can remember, read, and watch suggests he is the exact same type of player. All of the scouting reports (including the the TSN guys talking about him at the draft) included something along the lines of "fast, very good shoot, willing to pay the price and drive to the net, physical, two way player" they also included "lacks high end vision to play centre, overall offensive tools not that impressive, best served driving the net, goal scorer at the NHL level, doesn't use his line mates well"

On a side note even before 2009 (his draft year) people were talking about his perceived attitude issues which I found interesting. I'm in the "they are overblown" camp but it's interesting nonetheless.

No. He was the same way with the Giants. He was the same way at the World Championships. It's who he is.

Well if thats all he offers, what the heck were they doing picking him 4th overall. I suggest we trade him fast while he still has good value -- before the rest of the NHL knows how easy he is to defend

Obviously he's an incredibly gifted natural athlete. He's got lethal speed, a great shot and is fearless when attacking the net. Those are the reasons why he is successful and those are the reasons why he is such an impressive young player.

If you can't see that he lacks intelligence when he has the puck, I can't help you with that.

Didn't Kane got the 1st assist on Halischuck goal last game?
I wondered why he didnt shoot it as he is always portrait to be. He was by the board above the circle. That is where he usually shoot right? out of nowhere.

It was a good stop and pass in the middle assist, not great assist but good assist. For me that was using his IQ , goo heads up play by him.

Interesting that he was portrayed the way he was that far back. At any rate he has shown that he has at least some hockey IQ and that he isn't always selfish. The Jets have to use the considerable talents he has and not try to force him to be someone he is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad