Friedman: Oilers interested in Coyotes' Nick Bjugstad

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Probably a 3rd round pick? That's what the Coyotes got for a rental of Johan Larsson a few years back.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Makes sense. Beef up the forward depth down the stretch.

A bit more forward depth and landing another D or two could go a long ways for the Oilers who are playing good hockey lately.

A right shot centre with size is a need (Derek Ryan is the only right shot centre). This rumour actually seems legitmate on its face.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's a solid depth C that plays a playoff brand of hockey. The cost won't be high. So why not?
He has been decent this year on a team with zero expectations but how exactly does a guy with 5 points in 15 playoff games play playoff hockey? He might but there's literally almost zero evidence he does. But this would be a classic Edmonton move so I get it.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
He has been decent this year on a team with zero expectations but how exactly does a guy with 5 points in 15 playoff games play playoff hockey? He might but there's literally almost zero evidence he does. But this would be a classic Edmonton move so I get it.
I don't watch him, but this is the perception of big guys. big = physical = hits = playoff hockey.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Sure. He's a little weak on the dot but is productive ES and plays a physical game which the Oilers could use more of. Plus it keeps Devin Shore far away from the roster.
I wonder if it's part of a bigger deal with Chychrun

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’d be a nice pickup for sure. He’s had a nice rebound season. Big, versatile, good defensively and can chip in offensively.

There will be a lot of interest in him from contenders. Not that he’s going to return anything major but he’d be a shrewd pickup for any number of contenders.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd pay a 3rd for him. Since it's Arizona maybe see about moving some cap their way in Puljujarvi or Foegele if we can expand the deal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think both of those guesses might be a little rich. There seems to be a lot of forwards available this year.
Not really if you take Jarnkrok as comp last year, he got a 2nd 3rd 7th, had similar production before being traded. They are not the same players but the idea is the same : bottom 6 forward improving your team come playoff time. Also Bjugstad can play center.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not really if you take Jarnkrok as comp last year, he got a 2nd 3rd 7th, had similar production before being traded. They are not the same players but the idea is the same : bottom 6 forward improving your team come playoff time. Also Bjugstad can play center.
Conversely, the Oilers got Derrick Brassard last year for a 4th rounder who also had similar production before being traded.

A 3rd rounder sounds about right.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't the Oilers have enough low pt bottom 9 guys? Their problem is ABSOLUTELY no secondary scoring. The top guy on the team for pts that don't play with the Connor and Leon regularly have 15-18 pts which is super low.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
All I remember about Bjugstad is some Florida fan hating him so much that he changed his HFBoards name to something like "Trade Nick Bjugstad". Someone help me out with this guy because what I'm reading about him in this thread and what I read about him when I still knew he was in the league are pretty far apart.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Conversely, the Oilers got Derrick Brassard last year for a 4th rounder who also had similar production before being traded.

A 3rd rounder sounds about right.
I fully agree it could go either way, was merely saying that a 2nd was not out of the realm of possibilities :)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don't the Oilers have enough low pt bottom 9 guys? Their problem is ABSOLUTELY no secondary scoring. The top guy on the team for pts that don't play with the Connor and Leon regularly have 15-18 pts which is super low.
So you are saying the Oilers has only 3 top 6 players ?

McDavid
Draisaitl
Kane
Hyman
RNH

4 top 15 scorers
only team with 4 players with 60 points .

Their D and bottom 6 are their weak spot

As for your point on only putting up points with Mcd or Draisaitl. Go thru the NHL and take good players away from all the top players on said team and see how their numbers looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad