Rumor: Oilers interested in Brandon Saad

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Gagner is about the only one, but if you took him and retained 2 mil I think you could pull Jones+. Just depends how much you think of him. Personally I’d sooner deal Nurse and keep Jones long term.

Would love to snag Nurse. Would need to be apart of a bigger deal I would imagine.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Hawks can easily retain and take a cap dump...

If the Hawks retain, the Oilers will pay more and with Saad year and a half away from UFA, are they willing to pay the price. Saad at 3 mill could cost at least a first and a good prospect

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Brandon Saad is a good to great 5v5 player. Has been a 40 point player throughout his years with very little PP time at all.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the Hawks retain, the Oilers will pay more and with Saad year and a half away from UFA, are they willing to pay the price. Saad at 3 mill could cost at least a first and a good prospect

that’s wishful thinking IMO. Holland wouldn’t give up a first for Hall, I doubt very much he’d do so for Saad.

with Edmonton you’re probably looking at some combination of 2 of Jones/Lagesson, Puljujarvi, and a 2nd rounder.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
that’s wishful thinking IMO. Holland wouldn’t give up a first for Hall, I doubt very much he’d do so for Saad.

with Edmonton you’re probably looking at some combination of 2 of Jones/Lagesson, Puljujarvi, and a 2nd rounder.

Saad is signed for another year. Hall is not. How much pressure is on Holland to make the playoffs this year?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

Saad is a different type of player than Hall and signed for next year. Any playoff team would be smart to trade for Saad. Don’t see why the Hawks wouldn’t retain at least 1-2M on him to get a better return.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Friedman mentioned it on Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer today. No direct source since I didn’t hear it personally but a few people talking about it today:

Is Saad even available? I have a hard time seeing the fit unless Chicago retains heavily, and if Holland wasn’t willing to give up firsts or blue chippers for Hall I doubt he’d do it for Saad. Is there a combination of lesser assets that would interest Chicago?

Also mentioned a Kailer Yamamoto recall is coming sooner rather than later.

Because he knew Hall was going to free agency and probably wouldn't re-sign there.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Saad is signed for another year. Hall is not. How much pressure is on Holland to make the playoffs this year?

a decent bit, but Holland doesn’t trade firsts for players. He’ll trade down, but not lose the picks outright. The last time he did so was 2004 and that was a horrible decision. Saad, while I like the player, would be an equally horrible decision given the organization’s need of forward prospects, shaky playoff ground, and depth of this draft.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Saad would be our 3rd best forward. Jones right now is a bad 3rd pairing defender

I didn’t realize he had another year after this. If Chicago retained I’d do that. I thought he was a rental.

As for Jones he’s had to play his off side and he’s got potential. I wouldn’t move him for a rental. In a package for a player with term is entirely different.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
There is no way the Oil can fit him under salary cap. This would require 50% retention and Gagner going the other way

archangel2

May 19, 2019
a decent bit, but Holland doesn’t trade firsts for players. He’ll trade down, but not lose the picks outright. The last time he did so was 2004 and that was a horrible decision. Saad, while I like the player, would be an equally horrible decision given the organization’s need of forward prospects, shaky playoff ground, and depth of this draft.

that second year raises his value

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
To me, Saad makes way more sense for Carolina than for Edmonton. Not only is he a non-rental, but he would go to a legitimate Cup contender and his deal expires right when Svech needs to be paid. I smell another CHICAR trade in the works hahaha

To add, Carolina tried to trade for him in the Summer of 2018 (in exchange for Faulk). The Canes have a deep asset pool to draw from, including an extra 1st, 2nd a 3rd in June, and are on track to be able to absorb his contract in full in February.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
To add, Carolina tried to trade for him in the Summer of 2018 (in exchange for Faulk). The Canes have a deep asset pool to draw from, including an extra 1st, 2nd a 3rd in June, and are on track to be able to absorb his contract in full in February.
The Canes have a spoil of riches. A good NHL team, a great prospect pool and a ton of picks still

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
To me, Saad makes way more sense for Carolina than for Edmonton. Not only is he a non-rental, but he would go to a legitimate Cup contender and his deal expires right when Svech needs to be paid. I smell another CHICAR trade in the works hahaha

I think that extra years gonna kill a ton of interest from some teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad