Pre-Game Talk: Oilers in the storm (Nov 10 5pm mst)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That’s a house of horrors for the Oilers, but they finally won in Tampa so there’s hope.
Worked hard and really gutted out that win. They also beat the Canes the last time they played. So I feel ok about this game.

Campbell should start and they should recall Hamblin and Janmark (assuming Kane is on LTIR)

Reactions: Cloned

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Worked hard and really gutted out that win. They also beat the Canes the last time they played. So I feel ok about this game.

Campbell should start and they should recall Hamblin and Janmark (assuming Kane is on LTIR)

Benson's also likely available as he's been practicing with the team in Kane's spot when Kane had "maintenance days" though I'd lean towards Hamblin as the actual guy dressing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Boarding the plane to Raleigh right now, praying Delta doesn’t shatter my bring home bourbon bottles and for an Oiler victory.

Wearing my Uber lucky Iron Maiden T already just to get the good vibes started.

Some southern bbq is on the menu for tonight and soup or stu for tomorrow!

Let’s f***in GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Benson's also likely available as he's been practicing with the team in Kane's spot when Kane had "maintenance days" though I'd lean towards Hamblin as the actual guy dressing.
Yeah I was wondering about Benson. I know he's close, but, as others have suggested, I wonder if he goes for a conditioning stint before coming back to the big club, just to get some game time in.

Plus, Janmark is at a point a game in the AHL, he needs to be in the NHL, imo.

Reactions: Oilhawks and bone

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I'd love to see Holloway get a shot with McDavid. Yamo and Pulj just haven't looked good.
RNH - McDavid - Holloway
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamo
Foegele - Mcleod - Pulj
Shore - Ryan - Hamblin/Kostin/Bourgault?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Super excited. Moved to Carolina for work a few years ago, so this is the one time of year that I get to see the boys in person.

Two big advantages that I see for the Oilers:

1) This game is part 2 of a back-to-back for the Canes. They're playing the Florida Panthers tonight and have to travel back to Raleigh for the Edmonton game on Thursday (about the same distance as Vancouver to Edmonton).

2) While Carolina is still a good team (and has a good record), they've got a lot more chinks in their armor this year. Andersen's goaltending has come back down to earth (.891 sv %) and Brent Burns appears to be a defensive downgrade over Tony DeAngelo. They've had a couple of bad losses at home too, including a 3-1 loss against the Maple Leafs on Sunday, and a 6-2 loss against the Isles earlier this year.

If the Oilers can pounce early and often on a tired Carolina team, and if they can limit their "dumb-mistakes/60", this game should absolutely be winnable. Not easy, but still winnable.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah I was wondering about Benson. I know he's close, but, as others have suggested, I wonder if he goes for a conditioning stint before coming back to the big club, just to get some game time in.

Plus, Janmark is at a point a game in the AHL, he needs to be in the NHL, imo.
Janmark has to be the first guy recalled for any LTIR assignment for a player over making $1.25M or more.

You go and sign a 400+ game NHL vet who's usually good for about 10 goals a year, you have to bring him up the first chance you get. It's bad enough for their reputation that they had to stash him on the farm, but he hasn't sulked and played well so you have to keep him up for every single day they have the ability to.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Super excited. Moved to Carolina for work a few years ago, so this is the one time of year that I get to see the boys in person.

Two big advantages that I see for the Oilers:

1) This game is part 2 of a back-to-back for the Canes. They're playing the Florida Panthers tonight and have to travel back to Raleigh for the Edmonton game on Thursday (about the same distance as Vancouver to Edmonton).

2) While Carolina is still a good team (and has a good record), they've got a lot more chinks in their armor this year. They lost their most recent home game to the Maple Leafs by a 3-1 score, and also had a 6-2 home loss against the Isles earlier this year. Their goaltending has come back down to earth and Burns appears to be a downgrade over Tony DeAngelo.

If the Oilers can pounce early and often on a tired Carolina team, and if they can limit their "dumb-mistakes/60", this game should absolutely be winnable. Not easy, but still winnable.
Oh it's one of those road games where you're in the city before the home team. I hate when the situation is reversed for the Oilers. Hopefully, Oilers take advantage of it. But what a poor job at scheduling though. Edmonton travels Washington to Tampa back to Carolina back to Florida in 6 days. Seeing Carolina is playing Florida, Washington is playing in Florida and Tampa as is Tampa playing in Washington over the same segment of schedule, I suspect they could have made a more optimal schedule for all teams.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton

Janmark for sure.

I've been hoping to see Kostin on the ice but I haven't been paying attention to the AHL to have any idea if the callup is warranted.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Janmark for sure.

I've been hoping to see Kostin on the ice but I haven't been paying attention to the AHL to have any idea if the callup is warranted.

Have to think that Kostin will get a look just because hes at least brings a physical edge and fights a bit. Considering that Kane is injured, Oilers probably want to bring some physicality in. I dont know if he has visa issues or not though.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Janmark for sure.

He's a tweener, but he's shown some good things, good physicality. I could see him getting a call to get a look in this system with these players, if anything.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
If the Oilers can call up both Jannmark and Kostin, I would like to see them go 12-6.

Murray played his best game as an Oiler last night. Sitting Niemelainen for a night to watch from the press box might help. It can't hurt.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Automatic Top 6 time for Kostin please. Make Kostin happen.

I wonder if Foegele gets a Top 6 look. Not that he deserves it, but he’s always wanted an opportunity to show he can be a Top 6 guy, so he’ll be hungry. Personally, I don’t think Top 6 are in the cards for him long term unless his execution with his hands takes a huge uptick.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd love to see Holloway get a shot with McDavid. Yamo and Pulj just haven't looked good.
RNH - McDavid - Holloway
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamo
Foegele - Mcleod - Pulj
Puljujarvi looked fine on that line the last 2 games

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
If the Oilers can call up both Jannmark and Kostin, I would like to see them go 12-6.

Murray played his best game as an Oiler last night. Sitting Niemelainen for a night to watch from the press box might help. It can't hurt.
I like this ... and know how to spell Janmark now.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would love to see Benson back in the lineup, I thought he was solid in the preseason. I hope there's some internal competition for Kane's spot, there's a lot of guys who could make a career out of it if they can grab that spot and produce on either Draisaitl or McDavid's wing.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
RNH - McDavid - Holloway
Hyman - Draisaitl - Yamo
Foegele - Mcleod - Pulj
Nuge McDavid Holloway
Hyman Leon Pulj
Järnmark MacLeod Hamblin
Shore Ryan Kostin

Reactions: nally

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
For the top 6, I would go with

Holloway - McDavid - Draisaitl
Hyman - RNH - Puljujarvi

McDrai with Holloway should be fine. Two of the best forwards in the league with a rookie should gives Dylan enough run support while simultaneously exposing him to top line competition.

RNH with Hyman is proven and they’ve seen time with Pulju before.

That lets you keep a struggling Yamo in the bottom 6 with McLeod & Foegele, who as a pair have also shown some chemistry.

You can then ease in Janmark and Kostin on the fourth line with Ryan.

My only worry is that Woodcroft will want to keep McDrai apart, which could also work provided he bumps Holloway up to the top 6, instead of Yamo who I think should stay down until he presses for more ice time.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
amazing how loosing one top 6 players gives me PTSD from our brutal forward depth a few years ago.
If one player has to go one peghole up, there is a player below that has to fill out that blank he left, and there isbthe curse...

In todays NHL, there are a great diffrence between top 6 and bottom 6. The quality of players around the league has fallen, the league is heavyly diluted of high end talent through the teams now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad