Pre-Game Talk: Oilers in Sin City on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Wait, Failure? We have what, the 4th highest win % in the league?

Can people at least pick appropriate adjectives. We live in a world of hyperbole.
I 'think' they are referencing the 5 on 5 play away from McDrai - that has been an absolute failure. Lowest mark of their entire tenure.

I don't think the 'twitter-er' said the Oil are a failure.. I believe he was responding to the initial tweet that was saying the 5 on 5 is a failure away from McDrai.

However, not my tweet, not my response... I just thought it was interesting.lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Can people at least pick appropriate adjectives. We live in a world of hyperbole.
McDavid and Draisatl aren’t going to put up four every game. They need the depth to step up, or at bare minimum, saw off. We have had depth problems the last few years and it came back to haunt us.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I think one thing that everyone seems to discount is that when you have players so much better like McDavid and Draisaitl, that teams by nature are going to bear down harder to try and take advantage of the other two lines. I have no idea how that could ever be quantified with stats, but I know by nature if I'm playing against someone that can embarrass me, I'm playing it safe while they are out there and the second they are off I'm pushing. Obviously, I'm not anywhere close to the skill level of anyone at any level of pro hockey, but could it be a similar effect? The whole playing on your toes vs heels theory.

If there's any validity to this theory, could it be that being a bottom 6 player on the Oilers is one of toughest gigs in the NHL. You have the least minutes of your counterparts and every one of those minutes, teams are bearing down to take advantage of those minutes. As McDrai keep getting even better, could this factor be compounding?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think one thing that everyone seems to discount is that when you have players so much better like McDavid and Draisaitl, that team by nature are going to bear down harder to try and take advantage of the other two lines. I have no idea how that could ever be quantified with stats, but I know by nature if I'm playing against someone that can embarrass me, I'm playing it safe while they are out there and the second they are off I'm pushing. Obviously, I'm not anywhere close to the skill level of anyone at any level of pro hockey, but could it be a similar effect?

Would it not be common sense for the Oilers to be worse 5v5 without McDavid and Draisaitl? The Oilers are weighted heavily with those 2 players as they take 25% of the entire cap.

That said it does have to improve but the sky is not falling as the Twitter guy implies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Would it not be common sense for the Oilers to be worse 5v5 without McDavid and Draisaitl? The Oilers are weighted heavily with those 2 players as they take 25% of the entire cap.

That said it does have to improve but the sky is not falling as the Twitter guy implies.

100% it needs to improve. But just throwing out a hypothesis, as we've cycled through so many guys that at some point, you'd think someone would stick, but everyone fails in the bottom six eventually it seems. The only hope may just be for home grown players to eventually make it and using the 3rd and 4th line to grow future 1st and 2 liners as we cycle out guys like JP and KY which may become a necessity at some point.

Further on the comment about worse when they are off. I'm starting to find funny when people point out percentages of team scoring they generate. Well, no shit, they are outscoring everybody in the league except Ovechkin by more than 50%, so it should be automatic that they are significantly outscoring less players on their own roster.

I suspect if you took the 96th highest score (average 3rd best per team), 129th (average 4th best), 162nd etc and combined with McDrai, you still see McDrai generating 50% of the combined totals.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

But it’s basically the same issue we had the last few years.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Finally a 4th line we've been looking for.

That first d pair

200.gif

Reactions: Mez and Czechboy

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Yeah, would be great to see what the numbers are league-wide when each teams 2 best players aren't on the ice for context.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The only way to fix the bottom six is to split the players up into pairs.

McDavid-Hyman
Drai-Yams
RNH-Puljujarvi
McLeod-Foegle

Add the 3rd player as you see fit

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There you go for fun. I added up a list assuming that if all scorers were equally distributed. If you took the best "3rd best scorer by average on the team" (65th in league) you get this. The result with basically best distribution possible, they'd still be responsible for 44% of that teams goals, and 39% of the teams points. They are just that good.

GAP
1stbest scorer202040
2ndbest scorer142236
Combined 34427644%36%39%
65best scorer51116
97best scorer8513
129best scorer5611
161best scorer3710
193best scorer189
225best scorer448
257best scorer358
289best scorer257