Sportsnet: Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli prepared to match any offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
NYR should do it. 20 mill in capspace, Nash and his 7,8 mill cap hit is gone after next season aswell.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If you're Draisaitl, would you sign it?

$7.75m in Edmonton (Tarasenko contract) to play with McDavid or Carolina/Vegas at 10m++?

Funny thing, is I'd say that the contracts for him and McDavid are likely done, and waiting on July 1st, earliest that McDavid can sign his extension.
You'd be surprised. Even Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet from the Rangers in 1997 despite Colorado being the best young team in the NHL and cup champion. There's not as much loyalty in this league as you think.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't even want Francis to throw an insane offer sheet at Draisaitl. We could afford it no problem, but the fact that we have so many crucial RFAs coming up makes it a no go.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There are plenty of better situations than Edmonton. Especially city life.
Brand new rink means nothing. Ditto with rabid fan base as players like the anonymity of the US.

He may be happy where he is, but if someone throws something stupid like 12mil at him, I think he takes it and sees if Edmonton matches.

I would actually laugh if a team threw 12-13 mil at him and the Oilers didn't match. Yes, it would hurt our team on the ice, but Leon would be a 60 point player in Vegas or Carolina with nothing even sniffing a McDavid level talent. I think it would hurt them more.

Still he said he'd match anything and I completely believe that. Missing the playoffs is not an option in Edmonton anymore.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Stupid thing to say. Opens up the idea of someone throwing a huge offer his way just to screw your cap.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Vegas isn't offer sheeting him. They have been clear they want to build through the draft and any offer sheet that would be big enough for EDM not to match would cost 4 years worth of 1st rounders.

Assuming Radulov is gone, MTL has loads of cap space, Weber is 31, and they stink at drafting anyways. They could offer him 12Mx5Y. They'd still have 10M to fill out their roster with 4 players and Galchenyuk, while Plekanec is off the books next year to give Price a substantial raise. They might have a bit of trouble when it comes time to pay Pacioretty if the cap doesn't go up, but that gives them two more solid shots at the cup with a legit franchise C at the helm.

People wanna suggest an offer sheet that won't be painful for both sides but it doesn't exist.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
I can see Bergevin doing it. He is throwing away prospects for the now.

He needs a #1 center.

Bergy is running scared to save his job so it makes sense but i doubt he does it, he seems like a guy who would rather "play nice" (like most gm's) than do whatever it takes to win a cup. Even by adding LD, i do not think Montreal still has a good enough team to win the cup this coming season, then they have Price likely getting 9 mil next season and beyond, cap hell and no draft picks for years, as a Leafs fan i say DO IT BERGY! :)

I wonder is a 7 X $14 million max offer would be matched or if Chia would just take the plethora of first round picks instead from any team? I bet he would take the picks, you can't have two guys making the max because Mcdavid for sure would get the max if they had to match a max offer sheet for LD.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Someone like Vegas should just throw a massive offer at Draisaitl. Force Edmonton to have two players over 10m each.

Are you kidding? We'd take the four firsts. That team isn't going anywhere with or without Leon Draisaitl.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Stupid thing to say. Opens up the idea of someone throwing a huge offer his way just to screw your cap.

What if he secretly wants 4 first round picks for Draisaitl because he knows McDavid is angling for close to max, and realistically as good as Draisaitl is they'll need a ton of ELC talent to build around McDavid?

I agree with what you're saying, so either Chiarelli is misguided here or he is playing 5D chess.

If you're Draisaitl and you hear they'll match anything, aside from being a "team player", why aren't you testing free agency and trying to drive up the price?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Arizona,Calgary and possibly Vancouver should start an auction-like bidding war for no other reason than to sabotage their Western rival Edmonton and their cap.:naughty:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he would take the money and sign the offer sheet if a random team offered an INSANE amount. Everyone would(unless it was only a TINY bit more than what Oilers are offering)

But I don't see a team offering 10+ though and IMO that's what itll take

either way Oilers will be on the hook for 20-22ish mill per year for him and McDavid combined... but that's ok though. Oilers need these 2 guys

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If it weren't for the old boys club Montreal should go 8 x 7.

Unless Chiarelli secretly wants to get 4 first round picks from someone for Draisaitl due to the cap realities of (maybe) having McDavid at close to max in a year, there's no way they don't match 8Mx7Y. That's basically around 500k-1M more than most people are predicting he might get.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Arizona,Calgary and possibly Vancouver should start an auction-like bidding war for no other reason than to sabotage their Western rival Edmonton and their cap.:naughty:

Please God, do it. :laugh: Particularly Vancouver. Losing Leon would suck but Vancouver in particular would screw themselves over with a 13 million player that is very good but not a franchise guy, not much of anything around him, and lose four top 5 picks in the process.

Personally I think Leon loves it in edmonton and doesn't want to leave at all.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So McPhee throws out a 7 year $84 million offer sheet on Leon Draisaitl, Forcing Chiarelli to give up $26 million between Draisaitl and McDavid good luck with that.

Nah. Any offer that stupid wouldn't get matched. Lvk puts themselves 5 years behind schedule and they have to pay Leon a 50% premium to do so.

Edmonton would be forced to take 4 top 5 picks for him.

That's the thing about offer sheets, they can't be stupid because the other team doesn't have to match.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Doubt Drai has proven enough to attract a 9M+ offer sheet. As much as everyone loves the idea of a GM sending an offer sheet just for the purpose of wrecking a teams cap situation, GM's don't do that. Offer sheets are always made with the intention of actually acquiring the player. Also, the contract limits in the new CBA make it much more difficult to craft deals that teams might not match. And just in general 9M+ for Drai is a big gamble for any team to take.

Drai also has to accept the deal, and before he does he can use it as a bargaining chip with the Oilers. Probably lots of offer sheets that we never hear about used as such. Only 2 have been signed since 2010 as well. Another thing is that

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Draisaitl needs to prove himself at center position first. Wouldn't throw crazy money at him. If I'm correct he played the whole regular season as McDavid's winger or at least the majority.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Buckle up Chiarelli.

Peter Chiarelli already forced Don Sweeney's hand by forcing him to trade Hamilton to Calgary and threatening the offersheet on that deal.

Gauntlet was dropped and Boston and Edmonton would never trade with each other anyway.

Offer him a fat contract, Chiarelli matches. Do the same with McDavid as well next year and let Chiarelli match.

Don't go picking fights Chiarelli if you can't deal with the response. Boston has a ton of prospects in the system and doesn't need 1sts for awhile because of the forced Hamilton trade...made by Chiarelli's offersheet threat. What goes around comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad